NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default Best Binder Sets

I have gone back and forth between binders and sleeves/toploaders for my sets over the past few years. I have landed (I think) on binders. I look at my sets quite often and love the ease and convenience of binders. IMO, some sets look better than others in binders and I began thinking about which set is the best looking binder set. I am a 70’s guy so I will start the discussion by nominating the 1975 Set. In addition to the great front colors, the orientation and color combo on the backs make them easier to read. I would like to read other opinions, including sets from other decades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 04-01-2018, 09:31 PM
Bob Andrews

There is something about my '58 set that makes me pull it off the shelf and flip thru it more than any other set I have. Part of it is the fact that the first page has Ted Williams AND Willie Mays but mostly it's the colors and the memories of these cards, the first ones I remember seeing as a kid.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 PM
K.J. Kin0$hit@

Default Vintage sets

I just finished putting together a 1955 Topps set in a binder. I enjoying looking at the set all the time.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Default Binders

My sets are 1960s-1975 and the only ones I actually look at are the ones in binders. Neat just to flip through the pages for a "stroll through the past." I make a copy of the actual graded card and put that in the proper spot.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Al Richter

Topps 64 Giants and 69 Supers. Small sets with great photos. Plus very sturdy cards

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-02-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks for starting this great thread! I went through the same dilemma as the OP and only recently have come down on the side of binders and love my choice. I truly feel like it was the missing ingredient in my collecting. In addition to the wonderful sets nominated, I will put forward 1976 Topps. I have always loved that set! 1953 Topps as well, though it currently isn't in a binder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2018, 03:50 PM
St@n Go.len

Another vote for 1975 Topps baseball. Such radical colors!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

I'm putting together a 1957 set in a binder and love it!

Great to see Mantle, Williams, Clemete, Aaron, Koufax, etc in pages right next to Turk Lown, Jim Garcia and Bill Tuttle!

Any graded cards I've bought for the set I've cracked right out and put into the binder...was able to get some of the "bigger" cards for LESS in graded condition than raw...
Old 04-05-2018, 05:43 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I'm putting together a 1957 set in a binder and love it!

Great to see Mantle, Williams, Clemete, Aaron, Koufax, etc in pages right next to Turk Lown, Jim Garcia and Bill Tuttle!

Any graded cards I've bought for the set I've cracked right out and put into the binder...was able to get some of the "bigger" cards for LESS in graded condition than raw...
Sounds like a great project! Good luck! What is your limit for what you will crack? 4? 5? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 05:54 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Another vote for 1975 Topps baseball. Such radical colors!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I would rate the 72 set as a close 2nd. The colors and psychedelic design make for a great look in a binder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Dave_Berg

What set doesn't look fantastic in a binder? I much prefer every one compared to my PSA graded sets which are boring stacks of plastic on a shelf.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm a Seventies guy all the way, so my collecting sweet spot are the 1970-1980 card runs I've been working on since I was a kid. I have recently opted to get out of slabs for the most part with my collection of the Seventies (except for the superstars) and go with binders. I like to put the card in a cardsaver and then display in 4 pocket sheets.

Now, as to the best set from my era for binder display:

The backs make the set. All of the others from the era are dingy looking, hard to read, but the 71 OPC has a great back design.

Another set I really enjoy in binder form, again because of the backs:

The interesting thing to me, design-wise, is that Topps had really good, legible backs for so many years then switched to crap around 1970.

I didn't notice it as much when I was younger but after 50, sorting the backs on some of these cards is hellish. Worst ever is the 1975 Topps basketball:

Dark blue on dark green on gray. You go blind trying to sort these.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:31 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Really enjoying this thread! Like I had posted earlier, I enjoy looking at my 76 Topps set in the binder. I also have recently put a bunch of 80s sets (my childhood decade ) into UltraPro binders and pages. For the longest, I wanted to go the binder route but held back. However, I am so glad I am doing this now! I use common sense and am careful placing the cards in the pages and when turning the pages enjoying the cards. I put two or three empty pages at the beginning and end of my sets for a little extra cushion. Some sets I have had since the 80s have been in the binder all that time, and I wasn't nearly as careful back then, and those sets are just as fresh now as the day I got them. Bottom line is that I now see that it is really ok, and the cards are fine. I have a 1967 Topps set on the backburner, and when I get back on it that set will go into a binder as well.