NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: JimH

What about a discount for "already" graded PSA cards resubmitted for a possible upgrade? How about that for customer service! Maybe they will start charging extra because they have to grade through the holder.

Jim.Heffron@cox.net

Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: lumberg

Get with the times! Welcome to capitalism in America - you would try and make an extra buck if you could to.

This is a great opportunitity for collectors to get a real assessment of their collections.

With price usually comes quality. Sorry if you have to put out a few extra bucks to get an HONEST grade but this is what great companies do to maintain their gold standard. If you want the best, you have to pay for the best.

If your sitting on a 9.4 and you got a 9, you're gonna like that 9.5 when it comes in the mail.
It's guys like you, though, who are probably sitting on a bunch of 8.6's or 8.7"s and are laughing all the way to the bank with PSA"s generous grade of 9.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: Steve

If your sitting on a 9.4 and you got a 9, you're gonna like that 9.5 when it comes in the mail.

Too bad that is impossible.

Steve

Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Are you saying that PSA is not planning on rounded to the nearest 1/2 point? Are they planning on always rounding down? So any borderline 7's or 8's can only drop a half grade? Please explain.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

No, I am saying that they do not have a 9.5 grade.

Steve

Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Thank you -
Do you know if psa will grade according to what the card is closer to or what level it reached? In other words say a card is somewhere between 7.5 and 8. If you had to put a number on it say a 7.9. Will they grade it an 8 or a 7.5?

In my opinion the card should be an 8 because that is a more honest assessment.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

PSA will not bump a 9 to a 9.5.

There will be nothing between MINT and GEM MINT.. what would it be anyway... NEARLY GEM MINT??

an 8.5 is the highest half grade offered by PSA. 

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: JimH

I'm glad I finally got some discussion going. I ask that you stick to basics. It is understood that PSA are not collectors or sellers. That, as far as I know, is not open to public review. PSA controls price (SMR). The prices in the SMR do not reflect what the cards actually sold for (check for the small print in just about any set listing). A card that is raw goes to PSA for grading and PSA is asking the person submitting the card for a value for that card. Then a card is encased by PSA and it has a specific value assigned. Now they take that card which they gave a specific value reference to and are willing to change it at an additional cost to the consumer. It very well may cost the consumer more because that card may fall into a more costly grading service determined by PSA. PSA keeps the cost of submission even if the card does not get a higher grade. Additionally, they have to grade the card through a holder. I ask you, does this pass the smell test? It seems to me that they should offer a reduced cost for cards to be resubmitted as a service to people who are truly collectors and not merchants.

Jim.Heffron@cox.net

Old 02-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: Eric B

According to PSA, an 8 that is truly an 8.4 will still be an 8. You round down. remember, a 7.9 still was called a 7 because it did not meet the minimum requirements to become an 8.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Jim

No one is being forced to resubmit their cards.

One the one hand you say PSA should give collectors a discount yet at the same time you want your cards resubmitted so they can be worth more.

I am at a loss as to what you truly are trying to say.

If you are a collector (not just you, anyone) and wish a more precise grade, by all means do it. If you (again anyone) are a merchant and within your inventory you have cards that you feel could upgrade, again by all means do it.

The former can have cards graded more precise for their registry sets/collections and the latter can have cards again graded more precise that they may be able to sell for a higher price.

Again, let me stress no one is being forced to resubmit.

A few other things, no card sent in under the resub program will get a lower grade, they will either be bumped .5 or a full point or more for that matter.

Cards that are found to be altered or counterfieted/reprints can expect a phone call.

Steve