NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Dylan

Default Help with 80's & 90's Topps Oddball Sets

Can anyone help verify what advertisement, offer or game cards were inserted (if any) into the following sets/products:

1992 Topps --- Match The Stats (white & gray stock)
1991 Topps Woolworths
1991 Topps Toys R Us
1991 Topps Debut '90
1991 Topps --- Instant Win Sweepstakes (264 Different)
1990 Topps Woolworths
1990 Topps Traded
1990 Topps Toys R Us
1990 Topps Stickers/Album
1990 Topps Mini Leaders --- Spring Fever - Win Trip for 4 (No player)
1990 Topps K-Mart
1990 Topps Double Headers --- None
1990 Topps Debut '89
1990 Topps Coins
1990 Topps Big
1990 Topps Ames
1989-90 Topps Senior League
1989 Topps Traded --- Topps Magazine Offer, Mini Canseco Card
1989 Topps Mini Leaders
1989 Topps Big

I'm looking for information on these to see what inserts are included in each product and if they differ from set to set. Any help with this is much appreciated. If anyone knows of any other oddball or box set products from these years not listed above that included adverts/game/order form cards, please let me know.

Also, if anyone has these inserts available for sale, please PM.

Thanks!

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 05-06-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps odd for 89-91

I have all the sets you list for 1989.

For 1989 I also have a boxed Woolworth set of Baseball Highlights. Other 1989 Topps sets I have include Tiffany and Tiffany Traded, The Traded Robinson Bronze, the Box Panel set, the All Star Glossy sets of 22 and 60, American Baseball set ( boxed/UK), Batting Leaders set...inserts in KMart blister packs, Coins, Double Header All Stars, Double Header Mets /Yankees ( proof and regular sets), Gallery of Champions ( aluminum/bronze and silver..boxed), Glossy Rookie set of 22, Heads Up set, Stickercard set and Stickers set, LJN Baseball Talk set, and the Sports Shot Portfolio set.

For 1990 I have what you list except Topps Ames...not familiar with it.

For 1990 I also have Tiffany and Tiffany Traded, the Traded Aaron Bronze, The Box Panel set, The All Star Glossy sets of 22 and 60, Glossy Rookie set, Glossy Rookie Foil set, The Award Winners sheet, Batting Leaders set -inserts in KMart blister packs), President Bush card, the Mylar Sticker set, Gallery of Champions ( aluminum/bronze and silver-boxed), Golden Spikes Award, Heads Up set, Topps Magazine card set ( began in 1990), Nolan Ryan Bronze, Stickercards set , Sticker set, Boxed TV sets--All Stars/Cubs/Cardinals Mets/Red Sox/Yanks, and the Major League Debut set

For 1991 I have those you list plus these---Tiffany and Tiffany Traded, Desert Shield set, Traded Robinson Bronze, Box Panel set, All Star Glossy set of 22 , Glossy Rookie set, East Coast National set, Golden Spikes card, Gallery of Champions ( aluminum/bronze and silver-boxed), Joe Garogiola special issue card), Babe Ruth set, Superstar Head Up set, 1953 Archive Promo set, and 53 Archives set.

I also have for all 3 of those years the Topps Baseball Achievement programs ( similar to the Topps Rookie Banquet programs from 59 to 67).

I have a lot of insert cards with my main sets from those years, but think most were inserts from the regular packs. I am actively trying to complete a full set of the Topps Game cards from 1991. That involves 264 cards, but I am 3 short

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-05-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have all the sets you list for 1989.

For 1989 I also have a boxed Woolworth set of Baseball Highlights. Other 1989 Topps sets I have include Tiffany and Tiffany Traded, The Traded Robinson Bronze, the Box Panel set, the All Star Glossy sets of 22 and 60, American Baseball set ( boxed/UK), Batting Leaders set...inserts in KMart blister packs, Coins, Double Header All Stars, Double Header Mets /Yankees ( proof and regular sets), Gallery of Champions ( aluminum/bronze and silver..boxed), Glossy Rookie set of 22, Heads Up set, Stickercard set and Stickers set, LJN Baseball Talk set, and the Sports Shot Portfolio set.

For 1990 I have what you list except Topps Ames...not familiar with it.

For 1990 I also have Tiffany and Tiffany Traded, the Traded Aaron Bronze, The Box Panel set, The All Star Glossy sets of 22 and 60, Glossy Rookie set, Glossy Rookie Foil set, The Award Winners sheet, Batting Leaders set -inserts in KMart blister packs), President Bush card, the Mylar Sticker set, Gallery of Champions ( aluminum/bronze and silver-boxed), Golden Spikes Award, Heads Up set, Topps Magazine card set ( began in 1990), Nolan Ryan Bronze, Stickercards set , Sticker set, Boxed TV sets--All Stars/Cubs/Cardinals Mets/Red Sox/Yanks, and the Major League Debut set

For 1991 I have those you list plus these---Tiffany and Tiffany Traded, Desert Shield set, Traded Robinson Bronze, Box Panel set, All Star Glossy set of 22 , Glossy Rookie set, East Coast National set, Golden Spikes card, Gallery of Champions ( aluminum/bronze and silver-boxed), Joe Garogiola special issue card), Babe Ruth set, Superstar Head Up set, 1953 Archive Promo set, and 53 Archives set.

I also have for all 3 of those years the Topps Baseball Achievement programs ( similar to the Topps Rookie Banquet programs from 59 to 67).

I have a lot of insert cards with my main sets from those years, but think most were inserts from the regular packs. I am actively trying to complete a full set of the Topps Game cards from 1991. That involves 264 cards, but I am 3 short
Hi Al,

I am trying to find information on what mail-in offer or advertisement cards were inserted into each of those sets. For example, I think 1989 Topps Traded had a small, yellow card advertising Topps Magazine (Jose Canseco pictured) in each set. From my understanding, every Topps produced set ca. 1989-1991 had some type of offer/ad card inserted in each set and/or pack.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Al Richter

Default Topps Magazine

I do have some of the Topps Magazine inserts that picture Canseco. Can send you one if you want it.

If you ever come across anyone with any of the Topps 1991 Game cards let me know. I need 3 for the set of 264. Those were the cards by which you could win a full run of Topps sets, an individual set , or past premium Topps cards ( $50 +) or cards from 52 to 56 that would not fit in the 91 ( 40th anniversary) packs
Old 05-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Ben North

There was no inserts of any kind in the 89 or 90 Topps DoubleHeaders. In the 90 set the there was 3 or 4 different wrappers with the players listed on the backs. If you would like I can look and give you a definite answer with scans
Old 05-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Dylan

Quote:
I do have some of the Topps Magazine inserts that picture Canseco. Can send you one if you want it.

If you ever come across anyone with any of the Topps 1991 Game cards let me know. I need 3 for the set of 264. Those were the cards by which you could win a full run of Topps sets, an individual set , or past premium Topps cards ( $50 +) or cards from 52 to 56 that would not fit in the 91 ( 40th anniversary) packs
The Canseco comes in many different code variations. Off the top of my head I know of: no code, 89A, 89B, 89G and 89H but I believe there are many others. I currently have an 89A and the No Code versions but can use any others.

I have a ton of the 1991 Sweepstakes cards and am working on two sets currently but I checked your numbers (from another thread back when you needed 5 cards still) and I don't have any of them. I've also never seen a prize winning "X" card either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
There was no inserts of any kind in the 89 or 90 Topps DoubleHeaders. In the 90 set the there was 3 or 4 different wrappers with the players listed on the backs. If you would like I can look and give you a definite answer with scans
Thanks, I will remove them from my list! And no need for scans, thanks though! I am only looking for information on any trading card inserts in these products meant to advertise, sell Topps products or enter into a Topps sweepstakes.

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 05-05-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Al Richter

Default DHs

The DH Yankee/Mets Proofs ( clear packs), the Mylar stickers and 89 Heads Up are tough. What is the 1990 Ames ?

Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Al Richter

Default Mylar Stickers

close up

Old 05-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Al Richter

Default Golden Spikes

Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Two full boxes and advertisement slip from the 1992 Triple Headers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tripl headers 001.jpg (74.2 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg Triple headers 001.jpg (68.7 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg stand ups 001.jpg (78.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg Heads up 001.jpg (76.5 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 05-08-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Al Richter

Default Photo balls

I have a set of those goofy things . Still in the boxes with a little display stand and some delicious candy.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Ya made in China traces of lead
Old 05-09-2015, 06:32 PM

Al - Picture of Ames boxed set. Somewhere I have a bunch of them, purchased in a clearance sale.

And for $8 you can own one too.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Ames-Al...item35e9b1b2fe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ames.jpg (22.1 KB, 209 views)
Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Al Richter

Default Ames

thanks David
Old 05-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Al - Picture of Ames boxed set. Somewhere I have a bunch of them, purchased in a clearance sale.

And for $8 you can own one too.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Ames-Al...item35e9b1b2fe
Can you tell me what advertisement/offer insert is in that Ames set?

Old 05-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Al Richter

Default Advertisement

Dylan--I have a bunch of boxed sets produced by Topps for Woolworth and Kmart and others. If they were sealed, I left them that way. If opened, I usually looked through them. None of my opened boxes had ad or offer cards in them. Was it typical for a boxed set to have one or more ?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Dylan--I have a bunch of boxed sets produced by Topps for Woolworth and Kmart and others. If they were sealed, I left them that way. If opened, I usually looked through them. None of my opened boxes had ad or offer cards in them. Was it typical for a boxed set to have one or more ?
From what I understand the later issue 1989 and 1990 sets had smaller sized card inserts for Topps Magazine. The yellow card pictures Jose Canseco on the magazine cover. These come in a variety of different print codes and text arrangements on back. The codes are in the bottom right corner: 89A, 89B, 89G, 89H and a "no code" version exist. 1989 Topps Traded, 1989-90 Topps Senior League and 1990 Toys R' Us all have these inserts so it's likely the other sets do too.

I believe that the different sets they were inserted into explain the different letter codes but I am not sure how many exist in total.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
Can you tell me what advertisement/offer insert is in that Ames set?
I stole the scan off Ebay.

I just searched a bunch of boxes in my warehouse, and found fruit rollup boxes (empty), bandaids, Classic, and others but cannot find the Ames, as well as KMart and others, so I cannot tell you what is inside the box now.

If I find them, I will see for you.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Al Richter

Default Ames

I picked up the Ames box from David's stolen scan. It had the advertisement card for Topps Magazine with Canseco on it
Old 05-17-2015, 12:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Can anyone help verify what advertisement, offer or game cards were inserted (if any) into the following sets/products:
1990 Topps Stickers/Album
1990 Topps Mini Leaders --- Spring Fever - Win Trip for 4 (No player)
1989 Topps Mini Leaders
I just busted these and will mail one of each of them to you. Send me a PM with your address. I don't think the stickers had anything in them. Do you want the wrappers too?

Correction: Yellow card is from 1988. I also have a Topps Coin insert (undated, but I think 1989). Wrappers are from 1989 O-Pee-Chee stickers, 1988-90 Topps Stickers, and 1988-89 Topps Leaders Minis.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 05-17-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Alfredo

Quote:
The DH Yankee/Mets Proofs ( clear packs), the Mylar stickers and 89 Heads Up are tough. What is the 1990 Ames ?

Wow i had these!!!! What are they called??? What i dont know is where i put them after all these years!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Jason Presley

I have the Senior League set. It did not come with an insert. It is boxed like all the Traded sets of that era.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Al Richter

Default 1991 Superstar Stan Ups

Alfredo---1991 Superstar Stand Ups, filled with horrible candy. You can find them in clear uncolored plastic as well, but the clear ones are pretty scarce. They came one to a pack

Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I just busted these and will mail one of each of them to you. Send me a PM with your address. I don't think the stickers had anything in them.

Correction: Yellow card is from 1988. I also have a Topps Coin insert (undated, but I think 1989). Wrappers are from 1989 O-Pee-Chee stickers, 1988-90 Topps Stickers, and 1988-89 Topps Leaders Minis.
Big THANK YOU! to Swamee for these inserts. Especially the Topps Coins magazine offer...didn't know about that one! Please let me know if I can help with any modern variations.

And still looking for many more, especially 1992 Topps Match Stats (corrected), a ton of 1991 Instant Win Sweepstakes inserts and several card stock variations on 1988, 1989 and 1990 Company Store cards.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Alfredo

Quote:
Alfredo---1991 Superstar Stand Ups, filled with horrible candy. You can find them in clear uncolored plastic as well, but the clear ones are pretty scarce. They came one to a pack

Thanks!!!! I know I had a few of them back in the days, I was 10 and probably ate all the candy lol

If I remember correctly mine were all colored.

Last edited by alfredoleal2001; 05-28-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Alfredo

Went to my grandfathers house today which is where I lived when I had these superstar standups and couldnt find anything, I had a whole bunch of cans and weird things as well. Probably got tossed at some point and I never even knew about it.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default 91 topps insert

Hi Dylan,

I was hoarding 91 Topps for a while and noticed that all the rack pack boxes had these poster advertisements inserted into them. Not sure if it's something of interest to you, just thought I'd share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0088.jpg (77.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 06-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Dylan

Thanks for looking out, Joe!

I don't need the posters currently, just the cardboard game/offer/advertisement pack and factory set inserts.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
I don't need the posters currently, just the cardboard game/offer/advertisement pack and factory set inserts.
What about the 91 topps game/offer insert cards? There were a bunch of different code variations (I believe AL might have a list). I have a stack of those I could look through if you need any. Let me know.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
What about the 91 topps game/offer insert cards? There were a bunch of different code variations (I believe AL might have a list). I have a stack of those I could look through if you need any. Let me know.

I have two working sets right now and will message back with a list of needs on my first (main) set. I think I'm down to about 30-40 tops.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Al Richter

Default Game cards

I need 3 to be done and sorry I ever started them

I do have a self made checklist of sorts

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-17-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Dylan

Quote:
I need 3 to be done and sorry I ever started them

I do have a self made checklist of sorts
These two current WIP sets are #5 and #6 attempts I've made over the years. And each time there has been 5 or 6 numbers that I can't locate. I'd bet they included your missing three. I know that since you have mentioned them in forums, I have kept a watch for them and haven't seen them.

After 6 attempts at these and more boxes/cases/sets/3200 and 5000ct boxes than anyone should rationally be sorting through, I stand by my belief that some numbers are short-printed. Likewise, there are sequences or short stretches that appear to be double or triple printed. Another interesting observation: the printing was changed as some point, slightly different ink and card stock variations exist for these cards, however, I am not gonna go near that.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Al Richter

Default Game Cards

Thanks for the info Dylan.

Maybe it's like the missing 58 or the missing 56s. Topps just wanted you to look for them
Old 06-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Another interesting observation: the printing was changed as some point, slightly different ink and card stock variations exist for these cards, however, I am not gonna go near that.
Awwww.............

And here I thought there really was someone as crazy as I am..

Steve B
Old 06-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Thanks for the info Dylan.

Maybe it's like the missing 58 or the missing 56s. Topps just wanted you to look for them
For a while I suspected that the few impossible numbers were the "X" marked winner cards. I have yet to see a copy of one.