NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: I am Done Doing Business with AH's That Rip Me Off

I have been bidding at this AH for at least 10 years. I have been bitching about the same thing over and over yet I can't stop myself from bidding. It's almost an addiction.
But my last order was the straw that broke the camels back.

I won 7 raw Sweet Caporal pins for $50.00.
First of all they charged me $14.00 for the Buyer's Premium. If you do the math, that is 28%.
Then they charged me $12.60 for the S/H for something that costs about $4.00 to ship with insurance.

So for my $50.00 order, I have to pay $76.60. That comes out to 53% more than my winning bid.

I am just sick and tired of getting ripped off like that. It makes no sense for me to complain over and over and still make the same mistake by bidding. I have decided not to bid with them anymore.

They are not the only ones who overcharge on their S/H trying to make a few extra bucks off each and every customer. I will start cutting them off too and spend my money at the AH's who charge a fair price. There are still a few good ones out there.

I am contacting this AH to let them know how I feel. Depending on their response will determine whether I release their name on the board. If you want to know who they are, drop me a PM.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I can see why you might want to discontinue doing business with this auction house, but what confuses me is why you feel it necessary to post this information. By not disclosing who the auction house is, readers don't know who to think about avoiding. What does this add to the Net 54 community?
Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

You didn't win for 50 dollars, you won for 50 plus the buyer's premium, which you knew was going to be added and therefore was part of the price. The only significance of the 50 is that is the consignor's take.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I can see why you might want to discontinue doing business with this auction house, but what confuses me is why you feel it necessary to post this information. By not disclosing who the auction house is, readers don't know who to think about avoiding. What does this add to the Net 54 community?
I was venting my feelings. Do you really think every Net54 post adds something to the Net54 community? One chooses what they want to read here.

I said I would disclose the AH via PM.

Buythatcard

Old 06-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Why the hesitancy?

Out the auction house. Are you maybe thinking that by doing so you can`t go back, that maybe you can talk their prices down, or what?

A similar situation happened to me a year or so back with Heritage. Call me naive, uninformed, whatever, but their total cost took me by surprise. Felt duped. It was not my first purchase with them. I would say it's my last but you never know.

What I will say is any bids I make will take their pumped up costs into my bid. And will be a consideration if and when I have items to consign.
...whatever I want
Old 06-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I was venting my feelings. Do you really think every Net54 post adds something to the Net54 community?
I would say, no they don't. I average 2.26 post per day and am sure 3.67 of them are totally useless.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Dave Foster

1st lesson in AH bidding: know how deep the pool is B4 diving in head first.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I get the frustration... I'm surprised the auction houses do as well as they do when it comes to your standard topps stuff from the 50's thru the 70's. I understanding buying really rare or high end stuff from certain auction houses for the piece of mind, but if your in the business for mid grade topps, I feel that if your careful with what sellers you buy from, ebay is generally a better solution. Anyway Howard, your a Middlesex Blue Jay, you'll survive it!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would say, no they don't. I average 2.26 post per day and am sure 3.67 of them are totally useless.
Hahahaha
Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
1st lesson in AH bidding: know how deep the pool is B4 diving in head first.
+1. This is why AHs add the buyer's premium after the fact - to create the illusion of a cheaper price point for bidders. I never get upset about the premiums because I factor them into the amount I'm willing to bid. This post suggests not everyone does that.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
+1. This is why AHs add the buyer's premium after the fact - to create the illusion of a cheaper price point for bidders. I never get upset about the premiums because I factor them into the amount I'm willing to bid. This post suggests not everyone does that.
I do appreciate the auction house (Heritage) that Im aware of that tells one what the next bid is which includes the premium added in. Know of any others?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The Buyers premium is clearly disclosed. It's the ridiculous shipping costs that get my goat. I think Leon posted something about a AH that charged separate amounts for shipping and handling. Ridiculous fees for one card. Wrap in bubble wrap and put in a priority mail small box. $7. Done.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-05-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You didn't win for 50 dollars, you won for 50 plus the buyer's premium, which you knew was going to be added and therefore was part of the price. The only significance of the 50 is that is the consignor's take.
This. 1,000x this.

Last edited by orly57; 06-05-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Eric Bea.chley

It's very clear, in fact it appears everywhere, that the minimum BP is $14.00.

I'd be willing to bet that $50 wasn't your max bid. If you had won it for $60 or $70 and still paid $76 then you would be here telling us what a bargain the AH was
Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
You have to be living under a rock not to understand this, IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
I do appreciate the auction house (Heritage) that Im aware of that tells one what the next bid is which includes the premium added in. Know of any others?
Off the top of my head, BST Auctions also includes the BP in the total while bidding. This can be helpful in those "heat of the moment" bidding sessions where you're bidding on multiple items or it's the wee hours of the morning.

Realistically, though, all you need is a calculator and a few seconds and you can (and should) figure in the BP while placing your bid.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Off the top of my head, BST Auctions also includes the BP in the total while bidding. This can be helpful in those "heat of the moment" bidding sessions where you're bidding on multiple items or it's the wee hours of the morning.

Realistically, though, all you need is a calculator and a few seconds and you can (and should) figure in the BP while placing your bid.
Which most people don't do when they have the cardboard fever and have to have the card. Rational thought goes out the window, focus is lost, and the card must be won. Until the smoke clears. And the buyers remorse kicks in. Not that I know from experience or anything. You see, I have this friend...
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Default Ways to reduce excessive shipping

This past weekend, I won a card from Goldin, and I believed the shipping and insurance was excessive. I called them today to ask that they not charge the insurance ($28 worth) because I am covered under my collector's policy. They agreed to do so only if I provided a FedEx number, which I did. Using my FedEx should result in lower shipping than if they sent it on their account. My point is that there may be ways to reduce the final bill.

That said, when it comes time to consign, I'm likely to give the nod to AHs who have the best buying experiences. As in, free shipping or shipment before payment. Just saying.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
It's very clear, in fact it appears everywhere, that the minimum BP is $14.00.

I'd be willing to bet that $50 wasn't your max bid. If you had won it for $60 or $70 and still paid $76 then you would be here telling us what a bargain the AH was
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
This past weekend, I won a card from Goldin, and I believed the shipping and insurance was excessive. I called them today to ask that they not charge the insurance ($28 worth) because I am covered under my collector's policy. They agreed to do so only if I provided a FedEx number, which I did. Using my FedEx should result in lower shipping than if they sent it on their account. My point is that there may be ways to reduce the final bill.

That said, when it comes time to consign, I'm likely to give the nod to AHs who have the best buying experiences. As in, free shipping or shipment before payment. Just saying.
I Simply Love You Guyz

Turning a "Bad THiNG" inta a "Good THiNG"
Has Always Been WHaT the Net54 Prewar Board is ALL about!

Not Really WHaT the OP intended...
As Another Member Pointed out, ie...
"Why Just Come Here & Complain About it!?"

Howevar, Other Grasshoppers Hav Glean'd
FRoM THEiR MaSTER AH Sensei's...

Wisdom is Free to Those Who Shall Heed it's Teachings
Old 06-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
As in, free shipping or shipment before payment.
I don't care how good a customer you are.....shipping before payment should be a no-no. If I was a consignor, I would be livid if an AH shipped out my items before getting payment.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Kyle May

Can someone explain to me why there's a Buyer's Premium? I get that's how the AH gets paid, but why is that "tax/fee" put on the buyer, and not the seller/consignor?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's semantics. The seller pays it no matter what it's called, in that he gets less than what the buyer paid. A rational buyer should not care less what part of the price is called a premium.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-06-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
It's semantics. The seller pays it no matter what it's called, in that he gets less than what the buyer paid. A rational buyer should not care less what part of the price is called a premium.
Yep.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:08 PM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Can someone explain to me why there's a Buyer's Premium? I get that's how the AH gets paid, but why is that "tax/fee" put on the buyer, and not the seller/consignor?
Simply stated, it's greed, but...

I believe BPs started with high end AHs like Christies, etc but it basically works like this in an overly simplified example.

Auctions houses could make their money on commissions from sellers only. For example you sell an item through an auction house for $1000 at 10% commission, you get $900, the auction house gets $100.

When someone had the bright idea to add a premium to the buyer too, then in theory it works like this: Item sells for $1000, seller gets the same $100 but the AH gets $200!

Now at 10% that's probably not too big of a deal but now some high end artsy fartsy AHs charge the buyer as much as 30% and as everyone who bids and is aware of BPs, the tendency is to stop bidding taking the BP into consideration. This in theory hurts the seller as he doesn't get as high of a hammer price for his item and the AH still gets a huge cut of the take.

These days with high BPs, auction houses can now offer sellers deals like low or zero commissions, and still make a profit on the sale. I mean 20% on a $1000 item and the seller gets full hammer price, everyone is happy. On really high end items AHs might even give the seller a piece of the BP.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Simply stated, it's greed, but...

I believe BPs started with high end AHs like Christies, etc but it basically works like this in an overly simplified example.

Auctions houses could make their money on commissions from sellers only. For example you sell an item through an auction house for $1000 at 10% commission, you get $900, the auction house gets $100.

When someone had the bright idea to add a premium to the buyer too, then in theory it works like this: Item sells for $1000, seller gets the same $100 but the AH gets $200!

Now at 10% that's probably not too big of a deal but now some high end artsy fartsy AHs charge the buyer as much as 30% and as everyone who bids and is aware of BPs, the tendency is to stop bidding taking the BP into consideration. This in theory hurts the seller as he doesn't get as high of a hammer price for his item and the AH still gets a huge cut of the take.

These days with high BPs, auction houses can now offer sellers deals like low or zero commissions, and still make a profit on the sale. I mean 20% on a $1000 item and the seller gets full hammer price, everyone is happy. On really high end items AHs might even give the seller a piece of the BP.
This is where I have a problem with it. They offer me (as a buyer) nothing more than eBay does, yet make eBay's fees look minimal. The services they offer strictly benefit the seller in most cases, so why are they benefiting twice off the buyer? At 10% I would have less of an issue. But at these 18%+ rates, it irks me.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 06-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
They offer me (as a buyer) nothing more than eBay does, yet make eBay's fees look minimal.
Do you really feel as comfortable paying an eBay seller you do not know four figures or more for a card as you do Heritage or REA? Hats off to you if that's the case.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post

You really don't even need a calculator. The most common buyer's premium is 20%. So, if you're bidding $370 on an item, it's easy to determine the BP. Take 10% of the bid ($37); multiply x2 ($74). Then add $74 to $370 and you get $444; that is the total bid with the BP. Simple!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-06-2017, 03:09 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
You really don't even need a calculator. The most common buyer's premium is 20%. So, if you're bidding $370 on an item, it's easy to determine the BP. Take 10% of the bid ($37); multiply x2 ($74). Then add $74 to $370 and you get $444; that is the total bid with the BP. Simple!

Steve

You just proved I need a calculator.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
Do you really feel as comfortable paying an eBay seller you do not know four figures or more for a card as you do Heritage or REA? Hats off to you if that's the case.
Absolutely cause I'm not buying from Joe Shmo with only 1 feedback rating, Nancy Pantsy with 1675 feedback and an 89.9 rating, or Battlefield. Haha.

I don't feel any safer going with auction companies because as stated above, they are largely greedy. What wouldn't they do for money if they are gonna charge the buyer an outrageous tax/fee just so they can get the consignor to consign more stuff? Haven't there been threads about cards that get doctored or restored by these auction companies (if I'm mistaken I apologize)?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 06-06-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

This isn't hard. I don't know why people can't grasp this simple concept. As a buyer you are paying what you pay. Whether the AH calls part of it a premium or not is meaningless. They could charge a 50 percent premium and it comes to the same thing -- just factor it into the bid like (almost) everyone else does. If you win a card and your out of pocket is 100 dollars, what do you care if they called 20 of it or 50 of it a BP?

The one it affects is the consignor, who only gets the hammer price.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
This isn't hard. I don't know why people can't grasp this simple concept. As a buyer you are paying what you pay. Whether the AH calls part of it a premium or not is meaningless. They could charge a 50 percent premium and it comes to the same thing -- just factor it into the bid like (almost) everyone else does. If you win a card and your out of pocket is 100 dollars, what do you care if they called 20 of it or 50 of it a BP?

The one it affects is the consignor, who only gets the hammer price.
+1

When I bid in Heritage I also have to pay NY sales tax, so a $1.00 bid ends up costing me around $1.30. So I bid accordingly. If I think a lot is worth $1000, I'll max out my bid around $700-750. No big deal, it's just a calculation. I don't win as many lots as I like but if I keep at it I usually get what I am looking for eventually. I'm disciplined and patient.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

My original post is complaining about the S/H more than the BP. I know what the BP is before bidding and I factor that in. I am upset about the outrageous S/H fees that AH's tag on to your order.
The example that I talked about was a small order of $76 but most of my orders are in the thousands. I know what it cost to ship items because I've been doing it for 14 years. I understand being charged a little more to compensate for their time and materials. But I have been charged 2 to 3 times more than the regular rate by many A/H's.

I blame myself because I continue do business with these AH's even thou they overcharged me in the past. There are enough good AH's out there who are fair in their S/H rates and I will continue doing business with them.

Buythatcard

Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Assuming this is Heritage, while I understand the frustration of being charged a premium for the shipping over cost, at least they make it possible for you to determine their shipping charges as the methodology is listed on their website. As a result, like the buyers premium, you can factor that into your bids to determine your total cost. Now some other auction houses, such as Hunt's (see Leon's recent thread), where the shipping is not disclosed, those are the ones I really hate bidding on and generally error on the side of caution before bidding.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
My original post is complaining about the S/H more than the BP. I know what the BP is before bidding and I factor that in. I am upset about the outrageous S/H fees that AH's tag on to your order.
The example that I talked about was a small order of $76 but most of my orders are in the thousands. I know what it cost to ship items because I've been doing it for 14 years. I understand being charged a little more to compensate for their time and materials. But I have been charged 2 to 3 times more than the regular rate by many A/H's.

I blame myself because I continue do business with these AH's even thou they overcharged me in the past. There are enough good AH's out there who are fair in their S/H rates and I will continue doing business with them.
Howard, I agree the SH charges are high, but if you are spending thousands on cards, the ratio is still fairly minor. Consider it the cost of doing business with a major AH that has great cards that you want. Still, annoying, I agree, but it comes down to how bad do you want the cards.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 PM
John D.

I take back my earlier comment. I never bought anything from SCP before. $26.07 to ship and insure one card of about $600 in value. Sticker shock for sure. Have to add them to my list of AH's with stupid S&H charges and bid accordingly next time.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:09 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1964 View Post
I take back my earlier comment. I never bought anything from SCP before. $26.07 to ship and insure one card of about $600 in value. Sticker shock for sure. Have to add them to my list of AH's with stupid S&H charges and bid accordingly next time.
I don't even get catalogs from them anymore. I used to bid with them all the time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who forgot about them. I guess they need to make up for the lost bids somehow.