NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default World series trophy question

Hi All:

A question about 12" World Series Trophies. I have seen two different 1980 Phillies World Series Trophies both in auctions at major auction houses.

However there is a difference in the engraved wording on the gold banding.

See the first one here:

http://huntauctions.com/live/imagevi...m=78&lot_qual=

notice the words "World Series Champions"

on the second photo the wording says " World Champion" on the first line.

See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60186364@N00/5556298662/
So why the difference? Is one legit the other not? Were two different ones made? Any info that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 03-24-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 AM

I've seen replica's sell for 400.00 before. Seems a little high...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

i have a few world series trophies. there is a mystery going on with full size trophies. The first one I ever saw at auction went for over $30,000 and it was an A's trophy. A's rings and trophies just do not sell anywhere near the levels that we see for the NY, Boston, and Phillie teams. The reason the full size trophy went for so much was that they were so rare.

within a few years, these full-size trophies started popping up all over the place. I have seen them up close and they are 100 percent dead on replicas. Sometimes the only difference I can see is that the baseball has engraving on the real ones. I have heard some theories as to how these trophies are made. some have claimed that trophy parts were taken from Balfour and assembled elsewhere.

the only problem with this theory is that the full size replicas started showing up for the new tiffiny models too! They too are all over the place. A major auction house was selling one and I complained it was not real and they told me they would look into suing me if I brought up their name on these boards and discussed their trophy.

with so many full size trophies in the market place, the prices have fallen from $30,000 in the old days, to around $10,000.00 today.

I have not seen the smaller trophies copied. perhaps it is too much time and trouble to copy these as they do not sell for more than $4-5 thousand dollars. I have seen multiple engraving styles and fonts.

I have never seen a 12" trophy replica sell in the $400 price range.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Sports - rings:

Thanks for the reply. You say you have seen multiple engraving styles and fonts on the 12" trophys, but have you seen, and should there be, different WORDING on the SAME year's trophy?

Fred
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

here are some pictures with different wording and/or type styles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00040201.jpg (26.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 00035801.JPG (29.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 00026201.jpg (47.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 00036101.jpg (22.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Thanks for the photos? And these are all legit?

I notice a difference on the Dodgers press pin in the first two photos. Am I seeing things or is there a difference?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Historic Auctions in FL had a white sox rep one that was 400.00

Just because you didn't see one before dose not make it so.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

If HA sold one for $400 than that's the deal of the century!

I have no way of knowing anymore what's real and what's not real. I believe, like with sports rings, trophies are made over time. if you are a player and want to order one ten years later, fine, Balfour will accomodate you. However, they sometimes run out of materials and use different or modified parts, or remake parts. I have seen that with championship rings.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 PM

They had it in their aucitons at different prices.

The first time it started at one price, and never sold, they kept dropping the price auction after auction until they started it at 400.00.

I have no idea if it sold or not, but it was a half scale version of the white sox's from 05.

They have had rings before also, but they were replica's.

I was going to get it, to add to my collection, as I have superbowl trophy's, heisman's and a basketball, but I didn't have the money.

If you go to this page,http://www.historicauctions.com/main/pricesrealized/
you'll see they had a players one from 96 that went for 6462.50

Last edited by Ringking; 03-24-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

a half scale version is not a real version. Some resellers will try to get $8,000 - $10,000 for the 12" world series trophy.

I won a yankee one at auction for around $4,000 six months ago and was aided in the fact that the auction company was small and not too well known.

They really do sell in the 4,000 - 5,000 price range or more if it's a player's or Yankee trophy.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
a half scale version is not a real version. Some resellers will try to get $8,000 - $10,000 for the 12" world series trophy.

I won a yankee one at auction for around $4,000 six months ago and was aided in the fact that the auction company was small and not too well known.

They really do sell in the 4,000 - 5,000 price range or more if it's a player's or Yankee trophy.

When a player in the NFL wins the superbowl, they have the chance to buy a half scale copy of the lombardi.

It cost's them 5000.00 to do it.

IT's still a real version of it, as is the players copy of the baseball trophy, and same for the college football trophy.

You'll never be able to buy the real one as the teams own them and won't sell them.
THe only one that could end up on the market is the balt colts first trophy, as when they left baltimore, they took the trophy with them, and when I was at Jim Irsay's house, he had it in a box in the garage, he didn't even show it off. I thought it was odd, but he said they had to hide it because the colts really own it but his dad took it when they left in the cover of darkness.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Kevin O'Gara

I had a chance at a yankee 96 trophy taken by the courts from a guy claiming bankruptcy and owed money. It was mine for a moment till the courts gave some of his stuff back to him. 400.00 IS A STEAL ALRIGHT.

Last edited by khkco4bls; 03-24-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

but it turned out the $400 world series trophy was smaller and a replica than the player's 12" version. it was not real.

on the player's lombardi trophy, it is up to the football clubs to request that they be made. my gut feeling is that there are only two teams that have ever done this as these trophies come up for auction sometimes. infact, there is one on ebay now for one of them.

the rams did it for superbowl 34 and the cowboys did it during their 3 superbowls in 4 years. the trophies are about 17" and the real lombardi trophy is about 24".

there are many people out there who make very good replicas but the only ones I have ever come accross that were real are the ones mentioned above.