NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 PM

Default resources on warehouse vintage finds, etc.?

Hi all,

I've returned to collecting somewhat recently. Like some, I collect only what I can easily afford (no Mantle RCs for me, thank you very much)--and, more importantly, what I like.

Lately I encountered a few sets that neatly fit these criteria: 1933 Sanella (w/ the comparably inexpensive but lovely Ruth card), the 1958-65 Jay's Publishing photos/cards, and 1976 Isaly's Sweet William discs. . . . BUT cursory research shows that one thing these have in common is an affordability due either to market flooding (Sanella) or relatively recent warehouse finds (Isaly's & Jay's). . . . I also learned about '51 Topps red backs being such a find back in the '80s.

Does anyone know of other such sets--"vintage" (i.e. pre-1981) yet affordable b/c of old stock newly discovered? Are there some recommended resources that cite or report on such finds?

Thank you for any help!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Larry More.y

Default 75 sspc

A great value, due to a flooded market, is the 1975 SSPC set. Loaded with HOFers, for around $50 you can own a nearly 40 year old set in NM-MT shape
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Alan Elefson

I am a big fan of the 1969 Globe Import set. Although the cards are paper thin, really small and black and white there are a bunch of hall of famers. Often, you can find sealed decks (with the more common variations) for less than 10.00. These are everywhere in the Northeast at least, (I have had more than 100 decks myself, and I supplied the Standard Catalog with the variation information in the early 2000s such as the Drysdale Ace of Spades, red checkered backs, and team logo removals versions).

Good luck in whatever sets you pursue.

Alan
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 PM

Oh, what a great start to this thread! Both the Globe Imports & SSPC sound perfect. Thank you both for being the first to contribute and respond!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Steve

Also have great interest in historic warehouse finds, but there seems scant evidence of them in hobby history. As you mentioned, the find of 1951 Redbacks in the 1980's was apparently the most recent significant such discovery. I once bought a bunch of fifty-year-old Polk directories thinking that some old abandoned candy distribution warehouses might be identified and possibly searched, but found that any such were long since razed, ending my naive pipedreams.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Alan Elefson

Warehouse finds can be a bit misleading, as very rarely have huge stocks of older items found, but often a few thousand packs can make a big difference in future availability (I forget the details of the 51 red backs but I think it was 2-300 boxes at a minimum).

The 1964 Topps Giant cards also benefited from a similar find in the 1980s (I bought 300 of these just last year for about 40.00 at Brimfield although they were mostly commons. That is probably atypical, but they are still very cheap for the era and quality). I do not know the exact details of the find, but given the quantities of these cards in really nice condition I think it was in the tens of thousands.

Alan Rosen, aka Mr. Mint, publicized his finds in the 1980s including the famous 52 Topps find, but also finds of mid 1950s Topps and Bowman unopened boxes. I think the second find was a couple hundred boxes with some bug damage (if I recall correctly).

REA auctioned a really cool wharehouse find of early 1930s unopened baseball and non sports cards a few years ago. I think it was only one box of each product.
Alan

Last edited by aelefson; 02-09-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 AM
David Linardy

Default 1938 Our National Game Pins

Cool set from the 30's with a lot of big name hofers... I could have sworn that there was a warehouse find in the late 90's many of which came with the original display backing... Cool pins & you can typically find Dimaggio & Gehrig in the $100 range...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehrig_pm8.jpg (42.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Mr. Mint was with a dealer friend of mine "Uncle" Dick Decourcey. They found a delivery truck abandoned in a TN warehouse that contained cases of 53-55 bowmans. Most of the cards were perfect but some boxes had been invaded by silverfish. Dick told me they had to stop and wash their hands constantly.

Interesting stuff.
Almost all of this stuff is word of mouth. I cant even find much on the 51 topps find on the net. I have a couple other stories as well that I am including in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
Warehouse finds can be a bit misleading, as very rarely have huge stocks of older items found, but often a few thousand packs can make a big difference in future availability (I forget the details of the 51 red backs but I think it was 2-300 boxes at a minimum).

The 1964 Topps Giant cards also benefited from a similar find in the 1980s (I bought 300 of these just last year for about 40.00 at Brimfield although they were mostly commons. That is probably atypical, but they are still very cheap for the era and quality). I do not know the exact details of the find, but given the quantities of these cards in really nice condition I think it was in the tens of thousands.

Alan Rosen, aka Mr. Mint, publicized his finds in the 1980s including the famous 52 Topps find, but also finds of mid 1950s Topps and Bowman unopened boxes. I think the second find was a couple hundred boxes with some bug damage (if I recall correctly).

REA auctioned a really cool wharehouse find of early 1930s unopened baseball and non sports cards a few years ago. I think it was only one box of each product.
Alan
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Yes, I'd noticed that those 1964 Topps Giants seemed pretty affordable--even the Mantle card. . . . Now I know one of the reasons why. . . .

And I totally understand about the "find" not needing to be extremely large in order to affect values.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Also along these lines of affordable vintage (due to whatever "finds," market flooding, lack of demand, or whatever), I was wondering about minor league or even foreign baseball league cards of players to later go on to make it big?

(I assume that most of these are *not* going to be affordable, but I thought there may be some exceptions.)

Is there anything out there in the way of this?