NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 02:58 AM
ErikV

Default NYPL Peck & Snyder Red Stockings Card

Leon,

Many on the board realize you took quite a bit of heat for this, but I wanted to
acknowledge and thank you for doing the right thing.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rar...cid=spartandhp

Best,

ErikV
Old 10-20-2015, 03:19 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Agreed
Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 AM

Default Thank You Leon!

iN the Spirit of DoiN What iS RiGHT...
iT Makes a Difference ta me!

And Thanks Erik ,fir Pointing uS to The Article...
Old 10-20-2015, 06:15 AM
chris

So shines a good deed in a weary world...
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM
Steven H.

Great article. Leon, thanks for everything you do for Net54 and the collecting community.
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Leon,

You did the right thing.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by shernan30 View Post
Great article. Leon, thanks for everything you do for Net54 and the collecting community.
+1!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
So shines a good deed in a weary world...
great quote from an even greater movie!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:03 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
great quote from an even greater movie!
That quote is from the Merchant of Venice, I believe. Willie Wonka was quoting it himself.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Larry

See, honor and integrity ARE alive and well!

Another big +1!

Larry
Old 10-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
That quote is from the Merchant of Venice, I believe. Willie Wonka was quoting it himself.
Interesting, the only quote I remember (and can actually recite) from the Merchant of Venice is the "quality of mercy" speech by Portia. I didn't realize that Wonka was quoting that piece. Thanks for the enlightenment.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
+1!
+2
Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I commend Leon for the final choice he made.

However I don't want a rose colored view of history on this. Leon was aware of issues and tried to sell the card anyway. Then when caught every angle was tried by Leon. From name calling, playing dumb, thread locking, playing the victim, getting in peoples faces, PMs to the very people he was calling names, to offline political chats.

The actions of Leon regarding this card were far from that of a hobby player who claims to do more than 99% in terms of fighting fraud than the rest of us. It should have never taken hobby collectors like myself and others to bring this to the attention of this board. It was disappointing then and looking back it still is.

However in the end a treasure was returned to the institution where its original owner wanted it to remain. That's about the best one could hope for.

Cheers,

John
Old 10-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You really don't know how sick and tired I am of hearing this absolute made up absurdity of yours. The only angles are 100% your imagination taking over. There is no rosy colored anything. I never got in anyone's face either. That was more made up crap that I wasn't commenting on before. I had a conversation, it got heated on the other side and I walked away. There was no vulgarity, no puffing of chest on my side...none of that.
You are just plain wrong....nothing more and nothing less. The best one could hope for is you understanding the truth and reality. But it doesn't seem that will happen. Carry on, I am sure you can make some more stuff up.
ps...I should add I feel it was in very poor taste to go after me, for completely erroneous reasons, during the sale of my collection. You tried hard to hurt the sale. Very poor taste indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

However I don't want a rose colored view of history on this. Leon was aware of issues and tried to sell the card anyway. Then when caught every angle was tried by Leon. From name calling, playing dumb, thread locking, playing the victim, getting in peoples faces, PMs to the very people he was calling names, to offline political chats.

The actions of Leon regarding this card were far from that of a hobby player who claims to do more than 99% in terms of fighting fraud than the rest of us. It should have never taken hobby collectors like myself and others to bring this to the attention of this board. It was disappointing then and looking back it still is.

However in the end a treasure was returned to the institution where its original owner wanted it to remain. That's about the best one could hope for.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by Leon; 10-21-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:

Cheers,

John
GREAT POST!!! Glad I am not the only one who feels that way.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
GREAT POST!!! Glad I am not the only one who feels that way.
You and anyone that believes this is just wrong. Had I known there was a stamp I would have addressed it the same way I did when I found out. Within a few hours I had called the NYPL and authorities. So if ya'll think I knew for any time before that, and didn't address it., there is no way I can convince you. But it's not the truth. I knew of the stamp identification the same time the rest of the board did. Those are the facts. Believe what you want to.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:53 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
And another +1
Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Leon, I always thought you were a straight shooter before this mess you have endured. Now I know you are.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:45 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Leon,

I never called you names, never filled your inbox with PMs. I have taken my position and stood by it thru the entire mess. Never once did it change.

Would you like me to share your rambling PMs to me? You know the ones in which you change your tune many times and take a slightly different approach privately with me. The golly gee Wonka take it easy I agree with you all while calling me names publicly?

I also like the one where you say you knew there were issues but you thought it would cost a few grand to figure out if it was stolen...so you didn't "really look into much more." Even though it took a few images from the internet and few minutes to figure it out. I guess I also made you discuss this on video as well showing you had good knowledge there were issues with this card.

You can continue to blame me and play the victim all you want. You made this mess you're sick of hearing about. There's no fantasy here. All this craziness is real...just you're on the wrong side of it. Again not my fault.

Devalue your auction...laughable. Your ego really is amazing. The irony is your actions and childish behavior which still continues did ultimately devalue your auction as myself and many others decided not to bid because of your attitude and shenanigans.

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 10-21-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So if ya'll think I knew for any time before that, and didn't address it., there is no way I can convince you. But it's not the truth. I knew of the stamp identification the same time the rest of the board did. Those are the facts. Believe what you want to.
So the FBI agent never told you there was a stamp on your card, or that there were potential issues with it? So in that video of you talking to Scott you had no idea there was a possible stamp? Even though you mention the NYPL, stamp, FBI and JC's card in the video where you are unaware you're being filmed.

Your willing to say the FBI agent returned your card and said there are no markings to be seen nothing to look into the card is clear? So from 2014 to the time of listing you had no knowledge whatsoever there were any potential issues with this card.

Then why do you say things to the contrary in PMs to me and in the video?

Amazing coincidence then that HA mentioned "library stamp" as the first possibility for the mark on the back of the card....because nobody knew it was there least of all you...until that day the topic was brought up on Net54 and Hauls of Shame.

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 10-21-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Any way we can take a poll to ban wonkaticket from posting? He's posted his opinion on the matter dozens of times, not sure why he must continue to post it? I think he might have it saved so he can just copy/paste every so often.

Ja.y C.ook
Old 10-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Dave Fa*st

We can probably cut to the chase on the next fifty replies to this thread if we all just read the original. Most likely it's the same verbage, part 2.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:05 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cook View Post
Any way we can take a poll to ban wonkaticket from posting? He's posted his opinion on the matter dozens of times, not sure why he must continue to post it? I think he might have it saved so he can just copy/paste every so often.

Ja.y C.ook
Go ahead and start your poll.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So the FBI agent never told you there was a stamp on your card, or that there were potential issues with it? So in that video of you talking to Scott you had no idea there was a possible stamp? Even though you mention the NYPL, stamp, FBI and JC's card in the video where you are unaware you're being filmed.

Your willing to say the FBI agent returned your card and said there are no markings to be seen nothing to look into the card is clear? So from 2014 to the time of listing you had no knowledge whatsoever there were any potential issues with this card.

Then why do you say things to the contrary in PMs to me and in the video?

Amazing coincidence then that HA mentioned "library stamp" as the first possibility for the mark on the back of the card....because nobody knew it was there least of all you...until that day the topic was brought up on Net54 and Hauls of Shame.

John
Hi John
Let me set the record straight once again. It won't change as the truth never will, and is what I have said along. I was given the card back and told there was 100% an erased stamp on it. It was not identifiable as to where it came from. After that I let it go, obviously you haven't. As for me mentioning it could have been an NYPL stamp, absolutely true. It could have been. Could it have been stolen? Absolutely. Did I have many discussions (recorded or not) as to those facts, absolutely. None of that changes any of the facts. The HA knew, just like I and everyone else did, it could have been a library stamp or it could have been a photographers stamp. Nothing has changed. And why do you sound like you are trying to inerrogate me? That is foolish. You might try being more succinct too. If you ask the same question twice I will only answer it once.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cook View Post

Ja.y C.ook
Put your poll up and include me as well. John is the most honest guy in the entire hobby.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Put your poll up and include me as well. John is the most honest guy in the entire hobby.
And he is 100% wrong on this issue. The next poll will be to ban you and it might start before the day is over. Any bets on how that one comes out?

Last edited by Leon; 10-21-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:53 PM
R@y H0lmes

Quote:
And he is 100% wrong on this issue. The next poll will be to ban you and it might start before the day is over. Any bets on how that one comes out?
Wow.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Tom Boblitt

Oy
Old 10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholmes View Post
Wow.
Another WOW.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM

Everyone should remember that the main victim in all of this was Leon; he is out $10-40K depending on how you look at it. I know he just made a lot of money in his auction and that probably helps lessen the sting but it must have been tough for him to hand over the card. I know I would be bitter about it.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Brendan Mullen

Another WOW. I love this site, and visit it multiple times per day and use almost all of the auction houses advertised, but to threaten to ban someone for starting a poll/disagreeing with you is kind of ridiculous. Kudos for Wonka for standing up for what he believes in sans fear of being banned. We may be surprised to find out how people really feel in an anonymous poll.....
Old 10-21-2015, 02:00 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Hi John
Let me set the record straight once again. It won't change as the truth never will, and is what I have said along. I was given the card back and told there was 100% an erased stamp on it. It was not identifiable as to where it came from. After that I let it go, obviously you haven't. As for me mentioning it could have been an NYPL stamp, absolutely true. It could have been. Could it have been stolen? Absolutely. Did I have many discussions (recorded or not) as to those facts, absolutely. None of that changes any of the facts. The HA knew, just like I and everyone else did, it could have been a library stamp or it could have been a photographers stamp. Nothing has changed. And why do you sound like you are trying to inerrogate me? That is foolish. You might try being more succinct too. If you ask the same question twice I will only answer it once.
You still manage to miss the point. Exactly right you knew there was a stamp, choose to not look into it. FBI takes your card for review and notifies you of potential issues. You say....ehhh no biggie and move on. Then you list the card for sale a year later with no research into this erased stamp. Then after it's up for sale folks who don't own the card are able to take scans and in a matter of minutes figure out it's from the NYPL. Yet somehow you couldn't do this owning the card and knowing of the issue for over a year?

Yes I had the audacity to ask and still ask. Is this what a person does who is so called so instrumental in fighting hobby fraud? You even admit to me in a PM this was a really bad call on your part.

So because I refuse to take the narrative that you were so willing to do the right thing to return this card all along. Because I see the ugly mess that it really was and think folks should remember this regardless of the very positive final outcome. For these reasons I'm an evil person. Makes perfect sense.

If this was any other collector with the above set of circumstances there would be a different tone in these threads. The main reason you see so few folks being vocal here is the fear of having the moderator ban them.

It's not that you had a stolen card could happen to any of us, it's not the final outcome which was great Leon. It's how you handled the stuff between the start and the finish line that's the issue and that you seem to take no real ownership of....short of it's everyone else's fault and any who dare disagree with the way it was handled are simply on a witch hunt.

John
Old 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
You still manage to miss the point. Exactly right you knew there was a stamp, choose to not look into it. FBI takes your card for review and notifies you of potential issues. You say....ehhh no biggie and move on. Then you list the card for sale a year later with no research into this erased stamp. Then after it's up for sale folks who don't own the card are able to take scans and in a matter of minutes figure out it's from the NYPL. Yet somehow you couldn't do this owning the card and knowing of the issue for over a year?

Yes I had the audacity to ask and still ask. Is this what a person does who is so called so instrumental in fighting hobby fraud? You even admit to me in a PM this was a really bad call on your part.

So because I refuse to take the narrative that you were so willing to do the right thing to return this card all along. Because I see the ugly mess that it really was and think folks should remember this regardless of the very positive final outcome. For these reasons I'm an evil person. Makes perfect sense.

If this was any other collector with the above set of circumstances there would be a different tone in these threads. The main reason you see so few folks being vocal here is the fear of having the moderator ban them.

It's not that you had a stolen card could happen to any of us, it's not the final outcome which was great Leon. It's how you handled the stuff between the start and the finish line that's the issue and that you seem to take no real ownership of....short of it's everyone else's fault and any who dare disagree with the way it was handled are simply on a witch hunt.

John
Wrong. No need to address it again.

Last edited by Leon; 10-21-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Another WOW. I love this site, and visit it multiple times per day and use almost all of the auction houses advertised, but to threaten to ban someone for starting a poll/disagreeing with you is kind of ridiculous. Kudos for Wonka for standing up for what he believes in sans fear of being banned. We may be surprised to find out how people really feel in an anonymous poll.....
Personally I think he is trying to be banned so he can have a cause, as it is he is a rebel without a cause. Kudos for that.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Dave Fa*st

I would like to take a three pound meat tenderizer and smash my fingers with it.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Shawn England

Default Pete & Rep...

Quote:

John
It has been my experience that when someone is being as repetitive as Wonka is - there are other underlying issues. 99% of the time - again my experience.

A few reasons.

Power Trip
Envious
Personal / Feelings Hurt
Vindictive
Many others...

Every time I run across this, I have noticed that it is extremely difficult for the perpetrator to look within themselves to try & figure out why they feel the need to repeat their point while others make their point and move on
(I'm betting Wonka does not have this ability either). My guess is that Wonka has some emotions / feelings that are hurt. I have a sneaky suspicion these two need to do what my grandmother used to make my sister & I do...
Hug & Kiss... Meanwhile she would remark "AWWWEEEE".

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 10-21-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:04 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

How's that Psych 101 class working out for you?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Shawn England

Default Self Reliant

Quote:
Ahhhh.... Nice, you are coping well.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default each has had ample opportunity

to express their interpretation of events and their feelings about how they saw things play out to the degree they have felt necessary. Questions have been asked and answered more than once. Nothing has changed in that regard as it relates to their positions. I'm hoping that as two mostly rational people they agree by moratorium to move on. Sometimes when the outcome is right - the serpentine road and weary travelers should be left behind.

Often life gives you the test and then the lesson. We all have lessons to learn.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Rob

Default Library card

My expectation is that the white hat wearing library administrators will de-access the baseball card in the future and allocate the funds.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM
ErikV

Default Re: NYPL Peck & Snyder Red Stockings Card

John,

Sounds like you really got an ax to grind. I'm curious, what would it take, or
would you like Leon to say or do to please you? Again, the card was given back
to the NYPL. What else could Leon possibly do at this point to make things right?

ErikV
Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:

Modern day translation: What you just said was super harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Ahhhh.... Nice, you are coping well.

Modern day translation: You’re as timid and skittish as those ugly pigeons at the park. Man up.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default when I began putting a decent collection together

I started to think about donating to a museum at some later time in my life. At one point after seeing an anemic early tobacconist exhibit at the Flagler museum I thought that might be a good spot. Then I learned about de-accession - not gonna happen. Rather my things be sold in the open market to get them into the hands of appreciative collectors despite the likely ten cents on the dollar return :-)

sorry for the off topic post but you crossed into my wheelhouse.....
Old 10-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
I started to think about donating to a museum at some later time in my life. At one point after seeing an anemic early tobacconist exhibit at the Flagler museum I thought that might be a good spot. Then I learned about de-accession - not gonna happen. Rather my things be sold in the open market to get them into the hands of appreciative collectors despite the likely ten cents on the dollar return :-)

sorry for the off topic post but you crossed into my wheelhouse.....
To stay off topic. I did donate several cards to a museum this spring. I donated Ruth, Williams, Mantle, Mays, and several other players. All the cards where graded and from when they actually played. I had been working with the museum for several months before they received the cards. It gave me time to get the cards and have some of them graded. To this day they are not on display and I highly doubt I would ever do it again.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
John,

Sounds like you really got an ax to grind. I'm curious, what would it take, or
would you like Leon to say or do to please you? Again, the card was given back
to the NYPL. What else could Leon possibly do at this point to make things right?

ErikV
Erik, happy to answer. All that was originally said was that it was a great outcome but getting there is far from the cliff notes version of what Leon is now saying. That turned into Leon insinuating that I'm making up stories. Which offended me as I think it would most if you.

Leon knows and he's welcome to deny that he and I exchanged quite a few civil PMs during the mess. In which he admits to knowing there was a mark the day the FBI returned his card. He said he didn't bother to look into it beyond that. His reasoning was that nobody he talked to said they would look into it. He also states that he thought researching the mark to identify it was going to be expensive so he didn't bother. Even though it was easily deduced from simple scans. He also admitted to me that in hindsight he should have taken the time to look into the mark...but he just didn't because he felt most wouldn't bother.

Now fast forward and it's he only really knew about the mark the day it was made public here and after it was listed for sale. This is either not true or if it true it's only because Leon choose to ignore an issue and list the card for sale without any due diligence in regards to the issues he was made aware of by the FBI.

Sorry if I have an issue with a person playing nice in PMs and taking quite a bit more responsibility behind close doors for some not so smart choices of ignoring issues around an item. All while playing a different hand to the public. I've never claimed he willing knew of the mark being a NYPL mark. But I have stayed true to the fact that he had every chance to find out what this mark was and choose to ignore or take no action until after it was brought to light by others. That's what bothers me about the whole thing.

Again if any of the above is not true please feel free to correct Leon.

I would ask if this wasn't Leon if these actions and choices were played by anyone else would everyone be so quick to dismiss and turn the the tables. Keep in mind it wasn't me who was looking to profit from a questionable item through poor choices or other reasons.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 10-21-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Shawn England

Default Cannot see himself...

Wonka,

I am certain that if you realized how many times you've repeated yourself, you would stop. You are too smart for this. Surely you realize that at a certain point whether you're right or wrong you start to appear in a negative light that in fact you are wrong. You start to make yourself "look bad" you realize that right? Have you thought about why you waited till someone posted a positive thread before you made your comments? If you had something to say, why not start your own thread? it makes you look selfish, that your point is more Important than everyone else's.

Be well,

P.s. My guess is that you'll only address my "thread" question...

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 10-21-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Ross B.

"Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants..."
-Louis Brandeis
Old 10-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Leon knows and he's welcome to deny that he and I exchanged quite a few civil PMs during the mess. In which he admits to knowing there was a mark the day the FBI returned his card. He said he didn't bother to look into it beyond that. His reasoning was that nobody he talked to said they would look into it. He also states that he thought researching the mark to identify it was going to be expensive so he didn't bother. Even though it was easily deduced from simple scans. He also admitted to me that in hindsight he should have taken the time to look into the mark...but he just didn't because he felt most wouldn't bother.
the FBI had the card in their hands, looked at it and decided to give it back to leon. that's about where i'd stop investigating, myself. if they didn't know what it was, i wouldn't personally bother doing much more.

also, the transcript of the conversation between him and brockelman say diddly squat that implicates anyone. the FBI could easily have told leon why they wanted to look at the card...and knowing that NYPL was involved, they'd know the history behind those thefts. when the FBI gave the card a thumbs up, that's about all i'd need to know.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Erik, happy to answer. All that was originally said was that it was a great outcome but getting there is far from the cliff notes version of what Leon is now saying. That turned into Leon insinuating that I'm making up stories. Which offended me as I think it would most if you.

Now fast forward and it's he only really knew about the mark the day it was made public here and after it was listed for sale. This is either not true or if it true it's only because Leon choose to ignore an issue and list the card for sale without any due diligence in regards to the issues he was made aware of by the FBI.

Sorry if I have an issue with a person playing nice in PMs and taking quite a bit more responsibility behind close doors for some not so smart choices of ignoring issues around an item. All while playing a different hand to the public. I've never claimed he willing knew of the mark being a NYPL mark. But I have stayed true to the fact that he had every chance to find out what this mark was and choose to ignore or take no action until after it was brought to light by others. That's what bothers me about the whole thing.

Again if any of the above is not true please feel free to correct Leon.

I would ask if this wasn't Leon if these actions and choices were played by anyone else would everyone be so quick to dismiss and turn the the tables. Keep in mind it wasn't me who was looking to profit from a questionable item through poor choices or other reasons.

Cheers,

John
First of all in those rapid fire PMs there is no doubt I was placating you. That was a mistake and I will admit that. (as I said on the phone today) And the ID wasn't deduced from simple scans. The scan was 1200dpi and an exemplar overlay was used. Not quite a simple scan. And if you are going post about PM's why not say the whole context?

"I guess I should have pursued it in retrospect...but no one I have spoken with personally would have done that. What can I say?"

So yes, in 20/20 hindsight it would have been good to pursue further because a mark was eventually ID'd. But with the information at hand I made the correct decision at the time and would make all of the same decisions again. The authorities knew every single thing I did with the card before, during and after the return. If I was trying to hide something I wasn't hanging with the right people. But again John, I don't think I will ever convince you of the truth.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Banned

"The scan was 1200dpi and an exemplar overlay was used. Not quite a simple scan. And if you are going post about PM's why not say the whole context? "
--------------------------------------

I guess no one had a good scanner?

this isnt an overlay, it is clearly the word library that the owner of the card for over a year had the opportunity to closely inspect it. its quite obvious it is the word 'library' and 'library stamp' was the first word the AH used in the description. Leon, was it your verbiage or the AH verbiage to use that paragraph about the stamp. Did you give them the exact sentence to use, or did they think of it? please answer this question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg library.jpg (28.3 KB, 470 views)
Closed Thread