NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Judge hurts oblique

He apparently injured himself taking a swing and may be headed to the DL. Is it me, or is there just a staggering number of injuries in the game today? These young men are great athletes, they have access to the absolute best in training facilities and expertise, but every day another one seems to go down and most of the time it's not from any blunt trauma. I mean who here ever hurt himself taking a swing? Are these guys not putting in the time and effort to stay fit? Are they overtraining and developing the wrong type of muscles? What's the deal?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-20-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

Maybe guys in the past just played through stuff like that, or there are better methods to diagnose such injuries? I really have no idea these are just guesses. But teams are more cautious and hold players out to preserve long term health and protect multi million dollar investments. 50 or 100 years ago such concerns probably weren't that big of a deal.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I would reply to this thread from a medical perspective, but the reply would be obliquely misinterpreted.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

My take, which isn't worth anything, is players are over training. From a physical perspective most players have little body fat and are very trim. I believe that too much weight lifting and not enough stretching and being flexible have contributed greatly to the rise in injuries. The body also needs to rest and not trained every day. Muscles need time to recover and heal after workouts.

Doc you need to give us your opinion. I know you have some insight about this.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

You need only take a look at the bodies of todays players vs those of players in the past. I'm think of guys like Jimmie Foxx (his muscles had muscles) and Ted Kluszewski. People always said how buff guys like this were. But if you look at many of the average players today they are in much better shape. All six packs and such. I really feel that the amount of muscle on todays players can cause more injuries than those of the past. Some of the injuries today were unheard of in the past. Guys tearing muscle off of bone! As the above poster noted, too much muscle not enough stretching. But I think the too much muscle versus their frame outweighs any stretching they would do.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 04-21-2019, 02:46 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Found some pics. Jimmie Foxx, and a guy who plays for the Royals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foxx.jpg (29.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg foxxnot.jpg (43.0 KB, 126 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

For what it's worth, a guy I hung out with for a bit was a weightlifter/wrestler. Before most of the steroid stuff came out, he said a lot of people who took stuff got injured because while the muscles got stronger the joints and tendons didn't. And that injuries often came just after getting off the stuff so they could compete.
(But no, he never did any himself.... I have doubts. )
Old 04-23-2019, 12:26 PM

I think players have always suffered these injuries, they just didn't know what to call them. Probably safe to assume Joe Wood likely tore his rotator cuff without knowing what a rotator cuff is. Maybe Lefty O'Doul and Dizzy Dean too. Overnight the magic was gone.

Jimmie Foxx fell off a cliff at 34 years old. I don't know what exactly happened, but clearly it was something physical and quickly debilitating. Could have even been his oblique. Could have been anything else, but highly unusual to go from one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time to nothing overnight.

Last edited by packs; 04-23-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
who here ever hurt himself taking a swing?
Not taking a swing, but I did hurt an oblique picking up a bag of groceries awkwardly. It feels like something stabbing into your side, very painful.

As for injuries today, teams and players are much more concerned with protecting their valuable careers than they were in the old days. I mean, after Koufax had his finger injury and surgery in 1962, the Dodgers had him pitch 200 pitches in a spring training game, to see if his arm would hold up. Can you imagine a team doing that to an ace recovering from an injury today? I was listening to The Glory of Their Times and Baseball When The Grass Was Real in the car on an audiobook and was struck by how often the teams ran players right into retirement by demanding that they play through injuries. They destroyed careers. Pete Reiser tells how he was coaxed to play with skull fractures; he wasn't going to say no.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-23-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Didn't Michael Conforto dislocate his shoulder last year taking a swing?
Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Not taking a swing, but I did hurt an oblique picking up a bag of groceries awkwardly.
Meh. You youngsters. Wait until you get old and start injuring yourself taking a nap!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=Exhibitman;1872379]Not taking a swing, but I did hurt an oblique picking up a bag of groceries awkwardly. It feels like something stabbing into your side, very painful.

/QUOTE]

What next, carpal tunnel from the remote?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Ob-La-Di

Ob-La-Da

Ob-Li-Que

Ohhh, you can strain me any day

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

In a couple more years he'll be in the minor leagues

With a hamstring tear, a torn rotator

And a pair of arthritic knees

Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Happily ever after back in Binghamton
Aaron plays DH during homestands
Gleyber's back at home somebody took his place
And Andujar retired with a broken hand

Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Repeat chorus after each verse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Happily ever after back in Binghamton
Aaron plays DH during homestands
Gleyber's back at home somebody took his place
And Andujar retired with a broken hand
All together now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Ob-La-Di

Ob-La-Da

Ob-Li-Que

Ohhh, you can strain me any day

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Dave

Man, the kids and journeymen on that team have been playing above their heads lately. Been watching the road trip, and granted they aren't exactly playing a Murderer's Row of competition, but they've been pulling some games out of their ass, they've had no business winning.

Thanks to guys named Tauchman and Wade and Romine and Urshela and Loasiaga and German and Voit and Ford and Estrada and on and on.

Don't think they can keep it up for long, but it's been fun.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:49 PM
pete ullman

Incredible defense today by urshela. These kids are exciting to watch paired with some pitching experience/expertise the yanks are shocking as of lately! I love it!!!