NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W, etc..) B/S/T

Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default 1907 Detroit Tigers team real photo postcard SOLD!!!

Posted By: Tony Andrea

1907 Detroit Tigers real photo postcard. Nice image of the 07 Tigers team which includes Hof's
Crawford, Cobb, & Jennings. In period ink the players are marked by number on their chest and
listed on the reverse in order by row. Postmarked Sept 20th 1907. Couple neat inscriptions read.
"Just keep your eye on Donovan" and "If the Tigers don't win I hope the Sox will".....
*****SOLD******
Thank you, Tony Andrea

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C.

Email sent

Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

I knew Brian would be all over this one!!! Great card! Terrific baseball content. Good luck to both of you.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Thanks, Steve. Tony, I'll take it. Please email me payment info.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

PC is sold. Thank you,

Tony

Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

awesome card.... awesome pickup.

edit: I love that they included the dog in the numbering.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Card's very similar to the one you picked up at the National. You do know it was Elwood who numbered and named the players and the pooch as I don't believe that is the way it was issued?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

Of course, read carefully -- at first glance, you think it's a World Series message. The writer saw the Chicago WHITE SOX play the Tigers, not the Cubs. I saw this one at the National and had to read twice.

The writer on the front is PREDICTING a Tigers victory -- just keep your eye on Donovan. As for the reverse, he saw the White Sox play the Tigers during the regular season, with the Tigers winning all but one game (including a victory over Walsh).

The reality, at season's end was different -- the Tigers lost to Chicago...Cubs.

Great card -- even the dog is named...

Robert S

Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Robert and Steve are correct. The Tigers beat the White Sox three games to one during Sept. 16-18, and then finished the season with eleven wins, three losses, and one tie to win the American League pennant by 1.5 games over the Philadelphia A's. (The A's went 8-5 with one tie over that stretch). The author of the postcard is predicting on the postcard's front a Tigers World Series win and a good show by pitcher Donovan, which gives it a nice World Series connection. On the back he's saying that if the Tigers don't win the AL pennant, he hopes the White Sox will. The White Sox finished 5.5 games behind the Tigers. Unfortunately for the sender, the Tigers lost the Series that year to the Cubs. Donovan had no wins and one loss in two complete games, pitched 21 innings with a 1.71 ERA, and gave up 17 hits and struck out 16 batters. The problem for Donovan and the Tigers is that they couldn't score runs; the Cubs scored 19 runs in the Series to the Tigers' six. Also, Steve is right that the sender is the one who numbered the players on the front and then identified them on the back. I've never seen all the players identified (or the dog ) so for me it's a nice feature of the postcard.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Steve,

It is the same RPPC postcard that I picked up at the National.

Yes - I know that Elwood did the numbering....
'20' - Bulldog.... that is classic. Would have been a touch cooler if he knew the actual name of the dog... like 'spot' or something.

Interestingly - I had a similar postcard to this one before and I believe that one had 'champions' written on it. The one I just purchased at the National has the words 'Champions' on it. And this numbered one has a denotation of champions. Everyone was optimistic? or is this another 'Dewey Wins' moment?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Terrific conversation piece and excellent quality. Congrats to both.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

Nice postcard.... I think Elwood mislabeled the dog as "bulldog", looks more like a Boston Terrier or a mix of some kind.