NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2020, 12:31 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Default sports-cards-forever

So, I'm upping my meds and seeking therapy.
My primal urge to smack this guy; sports-cards-forever, seems to be increasing.
I get the excuses... "Free to ask whatever he wants" and "exclude him from searches"...he still appears and he's just obnoxious. If I could create my own eBay without that clown and Dean's Cards...
Like a big, weighted glove...backhanded...or a lawn dart...
Ahhh...I feel better. Carry on, all. Have a splendid day.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Up them a little further.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
So, I'm upping my meds and seeking therapy.
My primal urge to smack this guy; sports-cards-forever, seems to be increasing.
I get the excuses... "Free to ask whatever he wants" and "exclude him from searches"...he still appears and he's just obnoxious. If I could create my own eBay without that clown and Dean's Cards...
Like a big, weighted glove...backhanded...or a lawn dart...
Ahhh...I feel better. Carry on, all. Have a splendid day.
I arranged an off-ebay cash trade with this guy as we both live/work in downtown Chicago. He was open to it after I established my bonafides by telling him which well-known local high school I live right by. Emailed that info Feb. 20, 2018, received reply on April 3. ANYways, my offer was pretty GD reasonable and was not a lowball and would have been a fisftul of hundos in the lobby of a public tower in the center of the Loop for a really nice 55 Koufax PSA 7.

Nope, didn't budge from the 70% markup from any and all price guides and past sales. Ebay site full price or eff off. Never received a name, never went past the email stating; "I appreciate the offer but the card sells in the...NOPE...range."

I also upped my meds yesterday, ironically.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

The natives grow restless.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Up them a little further.

Lol. Feeling better, thank you!!
It's not a huge deal but, consider this...the reason for the post...
It's really something to see a MINT 9 '72 Clemente listed for $2500.00, for instance....and the dude lists close to 7,000 items. It's a search clogger extraordinaire! Not enough meds on the planet for me to deal with that type of jackass.
Also, guys are always supposedly concerned about "misleading an unsuspecting collector"...how 'bout a newbie or a family member surprising dear 'ol Dad with a '72 Clemente and then Dad finds out you spent 2500. on a 500.00 card because you didn't know better?
The guy is just an ass. If you want to display your collection, do it here, or design a website. To use eBay for pure display "lookie what I got" purposes is just rude.
Imagine if we all listed all of our shit at OUR asking price? Like, I posted a '55 Kaline yesterday that is the nicest I've ever seen. If I listed it at my asking price of 4500. (It's a 2k card on a good day) and did that 7,000 times, it would be annoying to eBay buyers to say the least.

Last edited by Phil68; 04-08-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
The natives grow restless.
Hahahahahaha! Classic timing.
I can't be mad after reading that.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
I arranged an off-ebay cash trade with this guy as we both live/work in downtown Chicago. He was open to it after I established my bonafides by telling him which well-known local high school I live right by. Emailed that info Feb. 20, 2018, received reply on April 3. ANYways, my offer was pretty GD reasonable and was not a lowball and would have been a fisftul of hundos in the lobby of a public tower in the center of the Loop for a really nice 55 Koufax PSA 7.

Nope, didn't budge from the 70% markup from any and all price guides and past sales. Ebay site full price or eff off. Never received a name, never went past the email stating; "I appreciate the offer but the card sells in the...NOPE...range."

I also upped my meds yesterday, ironically.
I feel your pain. I make my living in baseball. Parents, money, sign-ability, egos, citizenship, empty road trips, lies, incomplete paperwork, etc...add to that being from the worst state in the union (Illinois)--as you are, too, that I would have a belly full of idiot exposure and would have developed some alcohol-like tolerance. Nope.

The inconsiderate, obnoxious behavior that takes me days to find in the "real world" takes mere minutes to find in the world of collectibles.
Truth is, the quickest place to find a true loser is in this hobby.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I feel your pain. I make my living in baseball. Parents, money, sign-ability, egos, citizenship, empty road trips, lies, incomplete paperwork, etc...add to that being from the worst state in the union (Illinois)--as you are, too, that I would have a belly full of idiot exposure and would have developed some alcohol-like tolerance. Nope.

The inconsiderate, obnoxious behavior that takes me days to find in the "real world" takes mere minutes to find in the world of collectibles.
Then why are you here? Leave if you don't like it. Life is too short.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:32 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
...Truth is, the quickest place to find a true loser is in this hobby.
You're thinking of twitter!!
Old 04-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Casey

I live in Illinois. I love this hobby. I still live in Illinois....damn.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
I live in Illinois. I love this hobby. I still live in Illinois....damn.
I've never been more proud to be an Illinoisan than I have these past few weeks.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Bill

I have a sorta' relevant story that is somewhat inline with this OP's sentiment. I collected as a kid in the 80's and 90's and like many, I bailed during the junk wax bust. I hadn't even thought about collecting for over a decade, but one day I was at a local shopping mall and a card dealer had some tables set up near the kiosks. Nothing fancy at all. No signage, just some collapsible plastic tables. I believe this was around 2005/2006.

Anyway, the guy had some pretty nice looking ungraded pre-junk cards, mid 70's to early 80's, mostly baseball. At the time, I still didn't know much about grading, and I certainly had no idea what could be found on ebay by then. I came across a few that looked real nice, and ended up buying a Topps Wade Boggs rookie, a Topps Don Mattingly rookie, and a 2nd year Topps Rickey Henderson card. He had each card priced at $15 to $25, and I had no idea what the current values were at the time. All I could remember was that some of those cards had been $50 / $80 / $100+ cards during my childhood collecting years. I think I "bargained" with the guy a little, and got him down to around $50 for all three cards. To my untrained eye, they appeared Mint or very close to Mint.

Fast forward about 4 or 5 years after that, when I had started getting into buying a few cards on Ebay and had educated myself a bit more on grading. I went back to my old box of cards and re-inspected those "great finds" from that one day at the mall. Turned out, they were actually closer to NM condition due to centering and minor corner wear. A couple of the borders on the Mattingly card looked a bit too thin as well. So to my dismay, I had actually paid top dollar for some NM cards, and one that was very likely trimmed. Then my photographic memory recalled the smug double-chin grin on that dealer's face when I was buying those cards, wondering why he was so happy when I was the one scoring such a bargain. HA!

Such are the lessons of trial and error in a hobby full of lowlife clowns. Live and learn.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Then why are you here? Leave if you don't like it. Life is too short.
It's nothing you don't know, say yourself and hear and just MIGHT be taking it a tad too literally. I didn't say YOU, personally are a turd or anyone HERE...although I suspect a few...
Factually speaking, the biggest turds many of us have met are in hobbies (I collect other things as well). It's a peculiar nature; collecting...hoarding. Large ego connected and, in some cases, some emotional or attachment issues that go well beyond "Hey, I like Mickey Mantle!"
I am not exempt. I'm rowing with the same oars as many.
To your question...
I'm here because I generally like it and I'm honored to be included and you've allowed me to be. I learn about things like Al Kaline "bandaid variations" and such. See some great collectibles and pass time that I would otherwise spend watching Dexter or Criminal Minds.

It's ok to get pissy on your own platform at somebody for saying something empirical that everyone deep down knows is true....but it doesn't make it less true.
Further, most experts that compile data such as cost of living, schools, government efficiency, scandal, jobs, debt...will tell you Illinois is REALLY bad. It's actually more corrupt on balance than virtually all other states.
I live here because my family has for generations, but when my kids graduate I'm gone. There's a reason a great city like Chicago has turned to crap. Illinois trails only New York, West Virginia and South Dakota in "Get me the f*ck outta here" rate.
It sucks but facts don't care about feelings. I always say "never let facts get in the way of a good hatred."

So, please, don't let me get under your skin. Usually--like now--when I write here, I'm in a good mood. It's just hard to HEAR it in written form. No personal offense intended and I'm truly sorry if anyone thought it was.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyJoe View Post
I have a sorta' relevant story that is somewhat inline with this OP's sentiment. I collected as a kid in the 80's and 90's and like many, I bailed during the junk wax bust. I hadn't even thought about collecting for over a decade, but one day I was at a local shopping mall and a card dealer had some tables set up near the kiosks. Nothing fancy at all. No signage, just some collapsible plastic tables. I believe this was around 2005/2006.

Anyway, the guy had some pretty nice looking ungraded pre-junk cards, mid 70's to early 80's, mostly baseball. At the time, I still didn't know much about grading, and I certainly had no idea what could be found on ebay by then. I came across a few that looked real nice, and ended up buying a Topps Wade Boggs rookie, a Topps Don Mattingly rookie, and a 2nd year Topps Rickey Henderson card. He had each card priced at $15 to $25, and I had no idea what the current values were at the time. All I could remember was that some of those cards had been $50 / $80 / $100+ cards during my childhood collecting years. I think I "bargained" with the guy a little, and got him down to around $50 for all three cards. To my untrained eye, they appeared Mint or very close to Mint.

Fast forward about 4 or 5 years after that, when I had started getting into buying a few cards on Ebay and had educated myself a bit more on grading. I went back to my old box of cards and re-inspected those "great finds" from that one day at the mall. Turned out, they were actually closer to NM condition due to centering and minor corner wear. A couple of the borders on the Mattingly card looked a bit too thin as well. So to my dismay, I had actually paid top dollar for some NM cards, and one that was very likely trimmed. Then my photographic memory recalled the smug double-chin grin on that dealer's face when I was buying those cards, wondering why he was so happy when I was the one scoring such a bargain. HA!

Such are the lessons of trial and error in a hobby full of lowlife clowns. Live and learn.
Very well written and right on point. He's a guy that, to this day, likely has never seen a woman's breast--without a credit card.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Anson

Quote:
Very well written and right on point. He's a guy that, to this day, likely has never seen a woman's breast--without a credit card.
Now that's funny. There are turds in all walks of life. It just takes something that allows some to take advantage of others to expose their turdom. With any hobby, there will always be those that take themselves too serious too. Vintage sports cards are no different than anything else.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've met some of the worst people in this hobby, but also some of the Best. Probably can be said of any small circles of people.

I have found that many times, the nicer or tougher your collection, the more "haters" that seem to pop out of the woodwork.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-08-2020, 05:29 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

I'll say this...
My fragile male ego posts photos of cards I've found, bought and even MADE. Nobody says a word.
Like a 500-card homemade set that has taken 4 years and cost 6k to make...a few guys are cool and throw the token "very nice" out there occasionally (which literally makes my day) but 99.9% ignore it or say something incorrigible like "Broders....blah blah"...
But if I say a seller is a turd...all hell breaks loose, Lol.
Again, it's just the recipe. Collectors want to show their collections....artists want to show their creations. Exceptions in this regard are soooo rare.
In the end, we all like a little dirt kicked up so we can grab our pitchforks and have at it.
To re-cap...
great card/photo = nothing
Turd = excitement, opinions, discussion
Old 04-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I've met some of the worst people in this hobby, but also some of the Best. Probably can be said of any small circles of people.

I have found that many times, the nicer or tougher your collection, the more "haters" that seem to pop out of the woodwork.
I like this. I think I agree. Great approach and perspective.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Now that's funny. There are turds in all walks of life. It just takes something that allows some to take advantage of others to expose their turdom. With any hobby, there will always be those that take themselves too serious too. Vintage sports cards are no different than anything else.
LOL!!!
TURDOM!!!!

Leon, THAT'S why I want to be here!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:31 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Sounds like you need a hobby...oh, wait...
Old 04-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Albert Bee

Default rant

interesting rant..but I just cant seem to get into it

lack of substance ( or too much substance..the other kind... LOL )
…..
.but amused. Never the less
Old 04-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I will admit that that seller only has a couple thousand listings and I can avoid it. I would be happy to add the my pet peeve which is an old eBay listing spam trick that still drives me bonkers.

This is an example fresh off Ebay.

I search descriptions for say, "Pete Rose" and I get a hit for Sandy Koufax.

Now if I pan down the listing you will always find a suspect blank spot

If you choose to highlight that area...tada! You get clear text of every baseball player to lace cleats hidden by the seller to spam in views. (this is an edited shot, the number of names is quite literally all of them)

That should be very much be against the listing rules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample1.jpg (77.7 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg sample2.JPG (37.4 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg sample3.jpg (79.6 KB, 318 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Good grief, man

Like Leon said - why are you here? And speaking as a fellow Illinoisian who doesn't think the state is anywhere near the worst - if you feel that way, why don't you move to, oh,I don't know - Arkansas? (apologies in advance to all Arkansans everywhere...)

This thread is a complete waste of space.

Quote:

Old 04-09-2020, 01:19 AM
Bill

Quote:
I think you may have hit a nerve there
Old 04-09-2020, 04:12 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I will admit that that seller only has a couple thousand listings and I can avoid it. I would be happy to add the my pet peeve which is an old eBay listing spam trick that still drives me bonkers.

This is an example fresh off Ebay.

I search descriptions for say, "Pete Rose" and I get a hit for Sandy Koufax.

Now if I pan down the listing you will always find a suspect blank spot

If you choose to highlight that area...tada! You get clear text of every baseball player to lace cleats hidden by the seller to spam in views. (this is an edited shot, the number of names is quite literally all of them)

That should be very much be against the listing rules.
It is against Ebay's search manipulation policy. Report them.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:30 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Has way to many PSA 9 & 10 vintage items to be trusted in my opinion without doing major research on the certs...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:49 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Whatta 'bout CA ?

Quote:
I live here because my family has for generations, but when my kids graduate I'm gone. There's a reason a great city like Chicago has turned to crap. Illinois trails only New York, West Virginia and South Dakota in "Get me the f*ck outta here" rate.

Memo to Phil The Apostle:

See San Francisco. See Los Angeles. There is a reason CA has had their first population decrease in million years....