NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: What era(s) do you collect?
Pre-WW2 5 5.26%
Post-WW2 (Pre-1980) 24 25.26%
Modern Day (1980-Present) 2 2.11%
Option 1 and Option 2 25 26.32%
Option 1 and Option 3 2 2.11%
Option 2 and Option 3 5 5.26%
All of the above. 32 33.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Cameron Crafton

Default Modern Day Baseball Cards

I didn't know where else to put this thread as this forum doesn't have a modern day (1980-Present) baseball card forum so I just put it here which is the closest era.
So, does anybody here collect modern day baseball cards as well as vintage baseball cards, or do you just collect vintage?

Last edited by UOFLfan7; 06-14-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

To whatever extent it's possible, I'd be interested in seeing a more - I don't know whether to say "serious," "mature, "grownup," "adult," but I think you know what I'm aiming at - approach to modern material than I've seen on other forums, and I think Net 54 can be the place for that. Again, to whatever extent it's possible
Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

I too would like to see a "good" forum for the modern stuff. I think it might be a hard sell here for a number of reasons, but it might be worth a shot.

Some stuff can be sneaked into this section, I've done it a couple times. Not anything that stretches the feel of things too far, but stuff just outside the 80's

Steve B
Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Al Richter

Default Collecting

I have a Topps baseball run, 1948 and 1951 to 2012, and Fleer, 1923 and 1959 to 2007. I also collect all the Topps Heritage sets.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Tony Ooten

I voted "all of the above"

I'm most active in pre-war.
Post-war, pre 1980, I'm currently only looking for one card to complete a hofer type set.
Post 1980, I have an on-going Barry Larkin collection, and am trying to complete a shiny parallel set from the mid 90's. Also keeping my eye out for a particular 2009 A&G silk. Also collecting autographed cards from two mid 90's sets. So, I'm not really buying any new modern product.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Cameron Crafton

I too agree that Net54Baseball would be a great place to discuss modern baseball cards too. Judging from the results of my poll, many people here collect not only pre-WW2 and Pre-1980 cards, but also collect Post-1980 baseball cards.

ALR-Bishop: The Topps Heritage cards are really nice! It is a fun set to collect.

Tonyo: Thats one thing that I have always loved about the 1990s-present cards, the autographed and game used inserts!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by UOFLfan7 View Post
I too agree that Net54Baseball would be a great place to discuss modern baseball cards too. Judging from the results of my poll, many people here collect not only pre-WW2 and Pre-1980 cards, but also collect Post-1980 baseball cards.

ALR-Bishop: The Topps Heritage cards are really nice! It is a fun set to collect.

Tonyo: Thats one thing that I have always loved about the 1990s-present cards, the autographed and game used inserts!
Cameron,

I should have qualified: the autos I'm collecting aren't the inserts, I'm looking for actual traditionally signed base cards in two mid 90's sets.

I missed the beginning of the game used and auto insert trend. I have quite a few game used inserts in my Larkin collection - actually don't think I have any insert autos in my Larkin although I do have about a dozen signed Larkin cards.

Auto and game used inserts (of modern players) are ok I guess. The auto inserts are too expensive though- I'd rather put that money into pre-war stuff.

Can't stand the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players.

Tony
Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Cameron,

I should have qualified: the autos I'm collecting aren't the inserts, I'm looking for actual traditionally signed base cards in two mid 90's sets.

I missed the beginning of the game used and auto insert trend. I have quite a few game used inserts in my Larkin collection - actually don't think I have any insert autos in my Larkin although I do have about a dozen signed Larkin cards.

Auto and game used inserts (of modern players) are ok I guess. The auto inserts are too expensive though- I'd rather put that money into pre-war stuff.

Can't stand the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players.

Tony
Haha, the modern auto inserts are extremely expensive for what they are.

I personally like the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players. I think it is a perfect tribute to the player and makes modern day card collecting extremely fun. Now granted it depends on the qualtiy of the card, but I love the idea. Basically it gives you a chance to own a piece of history, but to each there own I guess haha.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
I personally like the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players . . . . . granted it depends on the qualtiy of the card
It also depends on the original item that was destroyed to create the cut. A signature from a scrapbook or a magazine, that's one thing. But a cut from a letter, a document, or (shudder) a check... that's desecration.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
It also depends on the original item that was destroyed to create the cut. A signature from a scrapbook or a magazine, that's one thing. But a cut from a letter, a document, or (shudder) a check... that's desecration.
I agree with that, but I was mainly talking about games used jersey and bat cuts. I didn't even know that there were cuts out there that came from a player's personal belongings such as checks, letters, or documents. Not only is that destroying a piece of history, but it also just plain wrong!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Interesting discussion. Many good board practices have come from members and threads just like this one. I might not be totally opposed to having a newer card section. Since it would be separate from the other sections it wouldn't encroach on the pre or post war stuff already here. Let's see how it goes.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:00 PM

I like the recent years' Topps Chrome and Heritage issues. One shiny and one old-style
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
I agree with that, but I was mainly talking about games used jersey and bat cuts. I didn't even know that there were cuts out there that came from a player's personal belongings such as checks, letters, or documents. Not only is that destroying a piece of history, but it also just plain wrong!
The worst is when they make a cut from a photo or something and insert a piece of signed photo into a card, or when they chop off part of the players signature....so stupid.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 06-17-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM

2 and 3 for me. Mostly 60s, 70s and 90s. I do buy a few "new" packs each year just to see what I get!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Matt Miller

Default Post War Pre 80 For Me

Although I do have a 5 or 6 80's cards, I am primarily into Post War, up to 1979. Wouldn't have a problem, and would check in on the modern discussions from time to time.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default '73 is my cut off year

I voted for options 1 & 2. I have recently sold most of my post '73 stuff to fund other purchases.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the record I have already asked my techy guy to help make a forum (since I tried and almost screwed the pooch) for 1980-Modern baseball cards. It will happen in the very near future.... I am sure it won't eat much, squeal too much, require additional insurance or bandwidth...so it should be fine. Heck, I might even comment about stuff every now and then as I do in this forum now.....

Steve Freed.man was able to figure it out so we now have a modern baseball card forum....thanks to Steve!!

Last edited by Leon; 06-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Tags
1980, 2012, baseball, cards, modern