NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: We should open this forum up to include modern.
Yes 18 18.95%
No 66 69.47%
I don't care 11 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Question on redoing this forum?

Taking into consideration the other poll, and given the limited activity in this forum, should we open this up to anything Post WWII all the way to 2012 etc......(modern stuff)? Just want to see the thinking of folks who actively participate in this forum. As I look down the front page there are about 2 1/2 weeks of threads on the front page...which means there isn't a terribly lot of new threads.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Steve Freedman

I vote no. I think modern should be its own forum.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Matt Miller

Default Voted No

Leon, I voted NO, although I don't have a strong opinion about it either way. I primarily collect Post War up until 1979. My only really concern is these forums turn into some of the other modern sites, which frankly come off like a bunch of punk kids running around. What I appreciate most about this site, is how well its run, and the fact that everyone can constructively debate/discuss cards, without it getting out of hand.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks so far guys. This is why there aren't knee jerk decisions made on the board. If you really would participate and want another forum for the modern stuff please post so in this thread. If there isn't enough interest we won't make one. No worries either way...and I voted I don't care .

And I don't see any forum on Net54baseball going the way I see some other forums going, Matt.

Last edited by Leon; 06-18-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: toned down
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I don't really have anything against modern but would hope it could be in its own forum; I suspect it will have more action eventually than the post war stuff.

FWIW-I actually think this forum is getting a decent number of posts and it looks to be growing.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
$teve O.

I voted I don't care.Although I do like it the way it is.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Mark

I agree with keeping it like it is. A narrow focus might have a smaller crowd, but it's a much more invested group. Make the focus too large and you'll find all sorts running in and out with no continuity.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Separate Modern Forum

I agree with Steve. A separate Modern Card forum post 1980 is the way to go.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not sure it's a big deal

Not sure it's a big deal to give a try to another forum to discuss the modern stuff. No one will be forced to click on it. If the board doesn't like it we can delete it . If we try it and there is some unintended bad consequence, we can fix it. This post-war to-1979 section will stay the same. Lets give it another day or so to see more feed back. Then, if it is still a go, I can see if I can make another forum . I don't post too often in this forum and I guess it will be a bit less in a modern card forum. According to the poll, It looks like there are some members who collect the newer stuff too. They can potentially have a place on our forum to talk about them. Who was it that said "All collecting is good collecting!!"?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'm actually indifferent. I think anything modern has always been accepted anyways here(especially in the pick-ups). Probably because most people know that it really doesn't belong, so when they do cross that line, it's usually for something that's worth it.. Making the forum post-war to current, may lead to more posts, but I fear it could get flooded with a bunch of ridiculous stuff.

I'd suggest either, doing a trial run on a modern 80-current forum and then maybe make a decision later about possibly combining them...OR making this one to current as a trial, and then make a decision about splitting it later.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default I voted no

I remember back on the old forum when initiating this postwar forum we had a similar conversation about what should be the limit year. IIRC i voted '72 (because that's where my own postwar collection ends ) but can appreciate up to 79. But 80's on up? Yikes!

Give the Modern their own, they deserve it (no sarcasm intended, i don't think ). I'll probably wander over there on rare occasion and maybe even see something cool.

While we're on the subject how about extending the prewar forum to mean the Korean War?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

I voted no mostly because I just don't see the 90's and 50's mixing well.

Perhaps a midway cutoff?

1980 works as it's the year before expansion to 3 major companies.
1988 could work since it's the last year before UD raised the bar a bit.
or maybe 1991? Topps 40th and the last year of the old type cardboard.

1986-94 is almost it's own wasteland of overproduction. I collect it, not avidly but in the same "if it comes my way it gets sorted and filed" fashion I usually have. After that the first big washout began and things got a bit closer to normal.
And 81- 84 or 5 has more in common with the 70's than the rest of the 80's.

I'm glad it's not my decision to make.

Steve B
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Bob

I'd prefer to see a separate forum on here if anything. While I certainly understand it may be in the best interest of this forum's owners to have more posts, it's refreshing to not have to scroll through tens of "WTTF 2012 Topps Archives" or similar posts to find something I'm interested in. And to not have to bump a post of mine constantly because it's been relegated to page 2 in 10 minutes or so. I would think a separate forum on here could accomplish both (?), have a home for posters on here that also dabble in modern (like me--I collect some Heritage sets with my sons), rather than the other way around.

This board is great and unique, and hope it stays that way instead of getting overrun with folks that buy modern hobby boxes, rip em, and post their Yu Darvish auto pulls immediately. There is nothing wrong with that, but there's plenty of places I can find that on the interwebz. Hopefully a separate forum here for "Post 1980" could serve all purposes. Similar to the separate Vintage forums on, say, SCF or CU. This board should stay focused on pre-80 as it's mission, IMHO.

Mid '50s for sale/trade

Last edited by wfubob; 06-18-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So far, in the voting, it is overwhelming the opposite way for a change to THIS forum.

Still open to debating a separate forum for the modern stuff.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM

I haven't posted in a while but like to read the forum when I get a chance. I do collect mostly vintage but also some of the modern as well . I voted no and think a separate forum would work better . I used to go to one of the other sites but it became to much bickering not worth weeding through all the bs to get good information. I would definatley use both forums. Would love to be able to talk and trade some Topps Heritage and Topps 206 thanks, Brett
Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 AM

There should be a modern forum, but it shouldn't be be included in the postwar baseball card forum. There would be a B/S/T forum for modern, right?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Edward F.

I voted no. I think this should remain a pre 80's forum. If you opened it up to modern cards it would get too cluttered with the modern shiny and game used cards. The vintage cards would get buried almost instantly. Even though I don't post on here often I do come here and read the threads on this forum all the time.

Last edited by T205; 06-19-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: to add additional thoughts
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 AM
John Michael

A large part of the charm of this website, for me, is getting the pulse of the hobby through the eyes of other collectors. This happens to be my favorite period to collect and ,as a result, I spend the most time here. However, I also like to venture off into the pre-war forum, as well as the other sports forums. I strongly feel it is sectioned off perferctly as is. A 1980 to present forum would be a welcome addition for the same reason I love the rest of the forums-- getting the current hobby pulse from collectors with interest in that particular segment.

Again, why tinker with what isn't broken. After the WW II rations, a natural deliniation point was formed, as the hobby was forever changed by newcomers Bowman and Topps. And the '80's again forever changed the hobby as the decade started with the ending of the Topps monopoly and ended with UD's ushering in of the premium card.

It may bring with it a few new members and a whole new perspective on the "shiny junk" era.

One last thing, it should include all sports.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Steve

Agree that post-1979 should have its own forum. As it is, the only threads here that interest me are postwar to 1960, so if it were to be expanded to the present, I wonder how many pages would have to sort through to find a thread of any interest. Not sure how many others would agree with that, but it appears the poll does so far. Another ten years on, maybe most of us geezers will not be around, so no problem with expansion then.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Al Richter

Default Modern

I consider myself a serious post war collector. I have a Topps set and pack run from 48 to 80, and Fleer set and pack run from 59 to 80 ( and there are a lot of 70s Fleer sets). But I have continued to collect Topps sets through 2012 and did Fleer to 2007. Additionally I have done all Topps insert and issued test sets through 1994 ( when The Great Proliferation really took off). I also do all the Topps Heritage sets and work on the older unissued test sets and listed or unlisted variations and errors to my sets. My only pre war foray is the 1923 Fleer set.

We have had a few post 1980 collectors in here and I think their stuff has been interesting. I am a little sad at the apparent disdain we seem to have for the modern collectors. I don't post much in the pre war section here myself because I fell a certain disdain from the folks over there about my "modern" collecting focus. I Think all that is too bad and not good for the hobby...and it is still just a hobby for me.

This is not the main Board I post on but I like it because there are several passionate collectors here who share their stuff and knowledge. Still, it is a little slow and dull at times. Maybe opening it up to newer collectors would cause some unwanted drama and add some immaturity, but I have seen some drama and immaturity from time to time both here and on pre war even without them.

Oh well...has anyone looked at the Topps 2012 3D cards. They are great. I got a set of those shiny things to put with my 1968 3D set

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-19-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I say keep it the way it is. I think that the infrequent times people do post/talk about something post 1980 it's been well-accepted here. I don't post often on this side, but I do check it out almost daily as I'm putting together a '57 set.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I think I'm getting confused about what is being asked for here. I voted "yes" in the poll because I would like to see a place where people could intelligently discuss modern material. Another benefit is that newbies, who might hear about Net 54 but not really know too much about what it covers, can have an entry point where they can discuss material they're familiar with, and someway/somehow be introduced to the older material.

That having been said, I'm inferring that many of those opposed seem to think the question is, 'should we change this forum, "Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)," to allow discussion of all post-war cards.'

For whatever it's worth, it doesn't matter to me if this forum, "Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)," is revised in scope, or if it remains the same and a new forum, covering cards from 1981 to the present, is added. I wonder if those who voted "no" would support the creation and existance of a "Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1981-present)".

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 06-19-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Tony Ooten

I entered a " no" vote thinking that meant : No, do not change the scope of "Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)"

I would however, be a little interested in seeing a post-1980 forum (and B/S/T), even though I don't actively collect much of anything post-1980.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I think I'm getting confused about what is being asked for here. I voted "yes" in the poll because I would like to see a place where people could intelligently discuss modern material. Another benefit is that newbies, who might hear about Net 54 but not really know too much about what it covers, can have an entry point where they can discuss material they're familiar with, and someway/somehow be introduced to the older material.

That having been said, I'm inferring that many of those opposed seem to think the question is, 'should we change this forum, "Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)," to allow discussion of all post-war cards.'

For whatever it's worth, it doesn't matter to me if this forum, "Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)," is revised in scope, or if it remains the same and a new forum, covering cards from 1981 to the present, is added. I wonder if those who voted "no" would support the creation and existance of a "Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1981-present)".

Last edited by tonyo; 06-20-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I wonder if those who voted "no" would support the creation and existance of a "Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1981-present)".
Absolutely.

That's how I understood it, should this forum section be changed as opposed to adding a new one.

Steve B
Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Steve

I didn't see a poll option titled, "No, and I do/don't support a new forum for post-1980 cards." Why is it being complicated by side issues?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Manny
Banned

Please merge the non-sports forum!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Please merge the non-sports forum!
The non sports forum is run by a good friend, Tom B., who does a great job with it. They are still on the old Network54 software. I doubt merging of the two will ever happen. I do enjoy their forum and post there occasionally.

As for this issue being discussed, I am going to try (operationally) to make a separate forum for discussing modern cards. I can't see any downside to it and if it helps bring collectors to more vintage stuff then that is a good side effect. If it is only a place for our current members to discuss modern cards then that is ok too. I have always said "all collecting is good collecting!!" Thanks to all who voted and all who participate and share.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

woops...screwed things up for a minute.....I am not sure of the number of sub-forums we can have but I just tried to make another and it wasn't too nice..It is in oblivion somewhere ? ...I will chat with Brian M, my right hand guy, and see if we can figure it out (how to make a post-1979 to modern forum)....regards
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

This is my favorite part of the net 54 site!
I think it would get more traffic if it was easier to get to. Really wish it was a tab on front page like pre-war forum is.