NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-16-2024, 07:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Harrison Butker graduation speech

LOL you can't make this stuff up. The opportunities for puns abound too (Swift kick?).

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/sport...cec/index.html

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Good for him for standing up for normal folks with normal values.
It's always amazing to me that the "we accept all" progressive left gets so triggered when normal folks are brave enough to speak of their values.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-16-2024, 10:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

So normal people think a woman's place is in the home? I'm far from woke or left wing, but come on, man.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

And there was this.

• In a swipe at LGBTQ communities, Butker encouraged graduates to have Catholic pride, but “not the deadly sin sort of pride that has an entire month dedicated to it.”

Normal folks with normal values.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:31 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So normal people think a woman's place is in the home? I'm far from woke or left wing, but come on, man.
There's many people, both men and women who desire a lifestyle where the man provides and the woman raises children in a functional two parent household surrounded by love and respect. Just look around at the current dysfunction that our children are being raised in and tell me this might be a better option for kids. And even if you disagree at least respect the men and women who have made their decision to raid their family this way.

-
Old 05-16-2024, 10:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
There's many people, both men and women who desire a lifestyle where the man provides and the woman raises children in a functional two parent household surrounded by love and respect. Just look around at the current dysfunction that our children are being raised in and tell me this might be a better option for kids. And even if you disagree at least respect the men and women who have made their decision to raid their family this way.
Of course, and I completely respect and approve of that choice. I don't, however, accept that that's the only choice that's "normal." I would leave that word completely out of the discussion.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:40 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
And there was this.

• In a swipe at LGBTQ communities, Butker encouraged graduates to have Catholic pride, but “not the deadly sin sort of pride that has an entire month dedicated to it.”

Normal folks with normal values.
I'll defer to Morgan Freeman on that one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtY...IG1pbnV0ZXM%3D

-
Old 05-16-2024, 10:48 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Of course, and I completely respect and approve of that choice. I don't, however, accept that that's the only choice that's "normal." I would leave that word completely out of the discussion.
Fair enough, I'll replace normal with optimal.

-
Old 05-17-2024, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I'll defer to Morgan Freeman on that one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtY...IG1pbnV0ZXM%3D
Well, I have to agree with Morgan Freeman's underlying point: We Americans need to celebrate the traits and values that unite us, rather than those that divide us.

This said, I'm not sure that's what Butker was aiming for in his speech.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:58 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Christian men have had it so rough in this country they need a Chiefs kicker to give a speech supporting them? Pretty funny really.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Good for him for standing up for normal folks with normal values.
It's always amazing to me that the "we accept all" progressive left gets so triggered when normal folks are brave enough to speak of their values.
This thread is a visibly obvious trap and you jumped right into it. I am walking the other way and not looking back.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:37 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I wasn't a Chiefs fan.

I am now.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:55 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Coming soon, Caitlin Clark tells Casey2296 and Shoeless_Moe how to live their most fulfilling lives as men...and they appreciate it.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Last edited by CardPadre; 05-17-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Fair enough, I'll replace normal with optimal.
Needless to say I wouldn't frame it that way either, but we can agree to disagree. Just different choices people have a right to make.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:24 AM

Someone coming to a mutual decision with their spouse to enter into a household with traditional gender roles is one thing, someone suggesting it's the right way to live or the only way to live is out there, in my opinion. Even on the most practical level, everyone isn't a professional athlete and many households require two incomes to makes ends meet.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Someone coming to a mutual decision with their spouse to enter into a household with traditional gender roles is one thing, someone suggesting it's the right way to live or the only way to live is out there, in my opinion. Even on the most practical level, everyone isn't a professional athlete and many households require two incomes to makes ends meet.
Not to mention that every household is not a heterosexual couple,

Old 05-17-2024, 09:42 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Christian men have had it so rough in this country they need a Chiefs kicker to give a speech supporting them? Pretty funny really.
You really think so? Serious question... there is no doubt in my mind (white guy, late 50's, raised protestant) that I have had every possible advantage in this country relative to any other segment of our society.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that every household is not a heterosexual couple,
No doubt. That's why I chose the word spouse. I was also careful to say mutual decision because that's what I really value in my own relationship, the mutual partnership I have with my spouse.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:03 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
You really think so? Serious question... there is no doubt in my mind (white guy, late 50's, raised protestant) that I have had every possible advantage in this country relative to any other segment of our society.
We’re on the same page - I was making fun of giving such a speech. And what a dumb time and place to do it. Women out there, congrats on working hard for your degrees and all but now let me say this….
Old 05-17-2024, 10:16 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I wasn't a Chiefs fan.

I am now.
Lol. Alienate 20 million Swifties but gain Shoeless Moe.

It's a wash!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2024, 10:19 AM
Todd Schultz

I can understand that a commencement speaker at a small Catholic university would feel comfortable making remarks that are consistent with Church teachings as they relate to homosexuality, although why he would feel the need to include them in that setting escaped me. I also know that the Catholic Church continues to grapple with the issue, as it tries its best to balance a big-tent approach (“All are welcome in this place”) with what has been handed down as doctrine. Taking a side on this issue is fair game, especially in this country of so-called freedom, although again, maybe he should have considered the time and place.

The comments on a woman’s place at home are more confounding. He is speaking to many who just spent four years time and six figures of tuition $$$ in order to chase dreams and he basically says take your pretty parchment diploma and use it as a placemat when serving your kid Sloppy Joes. He tells them “I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you.” Diabolical, i.e. coming from the devil. Really? So what part did a liberal arts university have in promoting such lies by encouraging these young women to enroll in the first place? Seems they should offer nothing but degrees in home economics. Or maybe the theory is that the women should have a broader understanding of various subjects so they can better appreciate the problems and stress faced by their bread-winning husbands when they come home from work.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
We’re on the same page - I was making fun of giving such a speech. And what a dumb time and place to do it. Women out there, congrats on working hard for your degrees and all but now let me say this….
Maybe their degrees were in home economics?

Old 05-17-2024, 02:44 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Lol. Alienate 20 million Swifties but gain Shoeless Moe.

It's a wash!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Good! Get rid of the Swifties and let's get back to football.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:46 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I also liked Jerry's speech ripping Harvard a new one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsmL1AImWLo&t=48s
Old 05-17-2024, 02:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Good! Get rid of the Swifties and let's get back to football.
Swifties probably buy a lot of merchadise, maybe as much as or more than those "normal people with normal values" who think women belong in the home and think Pride Month is sinful.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:34 PM
Al Richter

Maybe all he wanted to do is make his jersey a best seller
Old 05-17-2024, 09:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Swifties probably buy a lot of merchadise, maybe as much as or more than those "normal people with normal values" who think women belong in the home and think Pride Month is sinful.
Take it easy Tiger,

I was raised a classic liberal where your skin color doesnt matter, nor what you did in the privacy of your own bedroom didn't matter, unless you were hurting kids. What mattered was your character.
Your progressive left would call me right wing for having classic liberal values nowadays.

Normal? It's millions of folks in the middle who are just trying to get by, young people who are just trying to make their way in a pretty disappointing society. It doesn't matter what the sexual orientation of their partner is. We've built a society that makes them choose between the commitment of having a child or paying their rent.
Normal is giving back to society and not taking imho, it's having a bit of humility and being grateful for being American, honoring the young people of the past who died for your freedoms. It's also not replacing a POW/MIA flag with a rainbow flag at governmental institutions imho.
Normal is to take a deep breath and realize you are not the most important person in the world. Normal is not taking advantage of people.
Is a gay month necessary? Not in my opinion, we fought for gay rights when there was actually something to fight for and we won. What exactly is the purpose of celebrating being gay for a month? Honest question because we haven't cared what your sexual preference is for 50 years.
I also agree with Morgan Freeman when it comes to a black month.

We also fought for Title 9 50 years ago to make sure women were a protected class in sports. Now? The current administration, college campuses, and the LGBTQ+ community is trying to dismantle it and allow men to compete with women. Is that right in your opinion? Don't our daughters deserve better?
So yes, it's refreshing to see a man stand up for his values even though I may not agree with everything he says. After watching the pro Hamas terrorist shitshow, his comments were a breath of fresh air.

Just sayin'

-

Last edited by Casey2296; 05-17-2024 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Do you seriously believe gays do not continue to face massive discrimination and demonization? Look no further than the writings of the Speaker of the House.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/new-...y?id=104312903

Battle still very much in progress, I am afraid. We as a society are a very long way from nobody cares.

And even if you think Pride Month is unnecessary, Butker called it SINFUL. The very demonization you think doesn't still exist. It does.

I don't see what any of this has to do with Hamas or transgenders in sports. And sorry, I don't find the rantings of a sexist homophobe refreshing. We can disagree on that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Do you seriously believe gays do not continue to face massive discrimination and demonization? Look no further than the writings of the Speaker of the House. Battle still very much in progress, I am afraid. We as a society are a very long way from nobody cares.

And even if you think Pride Month is unnecessary, Butker called it SINFUL. The very demonization you think doesn't still exist. It does.
I'm not sure what you're seeing but society had embraced gay men with open arms, yes there are still people with prejudice but your sexuality is a protected class, which many people fought for to get there.
Having a devout Catholic saying something is sinful pales in comparison to people demanding the death of Jews.

-
Old 05-17-2024, 10:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're seeing but society had embraced gay men with open arms, yes there are still people with prejudice but your sexuality is a protected class, which many people fought for to get there.
Having a devout Catholic saying something is sinful pales in comparison to people demanding the death of Jews.
Nobody is defending pro-Hamas protesters, least of all this person who happens to be Jewish. It has nothing to do with the topic.

And sure, there have been legal gains in terms of statutes and case law. But that's like saying the fact that Black people have achieved legal gains means there is no discrimination. Small piece of the puzzle, IMHO.

I mean seriously how would you feel if you were a gay person and read this about the Speaker of the House, perhaps the second most powerful person in the country:

In comments from over fifteen years ago, long before he became a lawmaker and while acting as an attorney and spokesman for the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF), a Christian advocacy group, Johnson described homosexuals as "sinful" and "destructive" and argued support for homosexuality could lead to support for pedophilia. He also authored op-eds that argued for criminalizing gay sex.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2024 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:25 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Nobody is defending pro-Hamas protesters, least of all this person who happens to be Jewish. It has nothing to do with the topic.

And sure, there have been legal gains. But that's like saying the fact that Black people have achieved legal gains means there is no discrimination. Small piece of the puzzle, IMHO.
It has everything to do with the topic, this is America, we have strived for equality for gender, race, and religion. More than any other country and we've done a fantastic job. You know how to make racism and sexism go away? Ignore it and unite with the majority of America that has American values.
If you think you need to root out every last racist and sexist you are wasting your time because you would also have to toot out Black racists, Muslim racists, etc. why isn't the gay community protesting en masse for Muslim nations condoning the death of any gay man?
Instead we see protestors embracing gays for Palestine, how clueless is that position.

-
Old 05-17-2024, 10:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It has everything to do with the topic, this is America, we have strived for equality for gender, race, and religion. More than any other country and we've done a fantastic job. You know how to make racism and sexism go away? Ignore it and unite with the majority of America that has American values.
If you think you need to root out every last racist and sexist you are wasting your time because you would also have to toot out Black racists, Muslim racists, etc. why isn't the gay community protesting en masse for Muslim nations condoning the death of any gay man?
Instead we see protestors embracing gays for Palestine, how clueless is that position.
Perhaps because it's late, but I am having a hard time following your logic. I was reacting to Butker's sexist and homophobic remarks, not looking to invoke a wide ranging discussion of all the hot button issues in the country. I also think your idealism does not really describe the mindset of huge swaths of people in this country who are not at all about embracing equality.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2024 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:44 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Perhaps because it's late, but I am having a hard time following your logic. I was reacting to Butker's sexist and homophobic remarks, not looking to invoke a wide ranging discussion of all the hot button issues in the country. I also think your idealism does not really describe the mindset of huge swaths of people in this country who are not at all about embracing equality.
Your reply is a perfect example, you're more worried about a religious conservatives comments, who is no threat to society, women, or gay people and would probably make a pretty good neighbor irrespective of his values.
But you completely ignore the true threat to the Gay community from the Muslim community. You also completely decided to pass on the current sexism that is going on with title 9 and the transgendered community.
I'm good with all that man but don't try to vilify me, I'm the most accepting human but I'll call bullshit when I see it.

-
Old 05-17-2024, 10:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Your reply is a perfect example, you're more worried about a religious conservatives comments, who is no threat to society, women, or gay people and would probably make a pretty good neighbor irrespective of his values.
But you completely ignore the true threat to the Gay community from the Muslim community. You also completely decided to pass on the current sexism that is going on with title 9 and the transgendered community.
I'm good with all that man but don't try to vilify me, I'm the most accepting human but I'll call bullshit when I see it.
Not vilifying you at all, just stating I am not sure your idealistic view of America and it's embrace of equality is accurate. Not talking about you PERSONALLY once you clarified you were not agreeing with Butker. I am not up for getting into those other issues at the moment, maybe later.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Not vilifying you at all, just stating I am not sure your idealistic view of America and it's embrace of equality is accurate. Not talking about you PERSONALLY once you clarified you were not agreeing with Butker. I am not up for getting into those other issues at the moment, maybe later.
Data reflects that what Harrison Butker is saying, that if you are fortunate enough to be able to have one parent out making a living and the other parent raising their children is the best possible way to raise children. Which I agree with. That's actually the middle class dream for many people
I don't understand how that's controversial. Take his advise or don't take his advise.

-
Old 05-18-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Data reflects that what Harrison Butker is saying, that if you are fortunate enough to be able to have one parent out making a living and the other parent raising their children is the best possible way to raise children.
What data and from what source. If I learned anything from my many years as a researcher is that the vast majority of American's can't tell good data from bad.

I suspect what you are saying is actually an opinion supported by no data. If you have actual data please post it...because I highly doubt you do.

I can tell you that both myself and my wife work and our children are doing great. They are well rounded kids who have seem more of the world than most adults and the oldest isn't even 10.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:10 AM

I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that was his point. He wasn't making any points about stay at home parenting or the benefits of it. He was suggesting there is only one parent who should be staying home to raise their children, and the basis for that point of view is gender, not benefits for the child.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that was his point. He wasn't making any points about stay at home parenting or the benefits of it. He was suggesting there is only one parent who should be staying home to raise their children, and the basis for that point of view is gender, not benefits for the child.
I find it ironic that the social justice warriors, feminists and cancel culture are going after this guy with guns blazing for stating what he and his wife believe is the best way to live their life for themselves and their children. He's a conservative Christian man, speaking at a private university, this shouldn't surprise anyone but folks are getting their knickers in a twist and wanting to crucify him and ruin his family. Well done feminists, he's the least of you worries.

Where were the Feminists when when pro Hamas supporters were calling for the killing of Jews? Newsflash, if Hamas ran things around here no woman would have the right to work, they wouldn't have a choice. Rape would also be legal.

Why are the Feminists sitting by and allowing men to invade women's sports and spaces. They are strangely silent while Title 9 gets dismantled, a move that will have devastating results for our young women, but nobody seems to care about that even though we fought hard for that 50 years ago.
So they can all save their outage over a guy and his wife leading a conservative Christian lifestyle imho. And until they are interested in addressing true challenges to today's women they are just part of the problem.

-
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

I don't think this event is the flashpoint for all these other issues you're bringing up. People are upset with him for his choice of venue as much as they're upset with what he said.

On a very practical level, he's saying that motherhood and homemaking are a woman's highest callings, but he's saying these things in front of a large population of nuns who made very different decisions about their callings.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I don't think this event is the flashpoint for all these other issues you're bringing up. People are upset with him for his choice of venue as much as they're upset with what he said.

On a very practical level, he's saying that motherhood and homemaking are a woman's highest callings, but he's saying these things in front of a large population of nuns who made very different decisions about their callings.
He can make whatever choice he wants, that's not the issue of course, it's both the venue and that he wants to impose his values on others. I too fail to see what Hamas or transgenders in sports have to do with it.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I am not taking a side here people as everyone is allowed their own beliefs and chosen path in life. I am only wondering if anyone actually read the transcript of the speech?

It certainly isn't perfect but it fit the audience and the text really seems vastly different than the media portrayal on this one. I am not much of a religious man but was raised Catholic and there is nothing here outside the box of what I heard in sermons growing up on Sunday. (Perhaps the brow beatings are a bit why I am not very religious, but I have come to not care what other people choose to do in my old age)

As for this being some vastly sexist speech as I have been told for days now...well after seeing the text, other than one awkwardly phrased sentence the rest seems somewhat dedicated to how he is only able to succeed due to the effort and sacrifice of his wife.

I am using this source FYI as it really is the only one I saw on google that was not honestly filled with the additional personal opinions of the writer...it's simply just a transcript. (I figured I would address that as I am sure someone will comment on the site)

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harr...at-benedictine

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

This was quoted accurately.

Not the deadly sin sort of pride that has an entire month dedicated to it,

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
This was quoted accurately.

Not the deadly sin sort of pride that has an entire month dedicated to it,
Yes, that is. But again, it's the stand of much of the Catholic Church prior to the current Pope. It's not just him on a soapbox in Central Park, it's addressing a specific group.

Also, this track of thought is not my bag...it's why I chose my own path of belief. I just thought it a bit strange that the reaction is pointed as though he said it on the Tonight Show and not a extremely strict Catholic University.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; Yesterday at 10:58 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Yes, that is. But again, it's the stand of much of the Catholic Church prior to the current Pope. It's not just him on a soapbox in Central Park, it's addressing a specific group.

Also, this track of thought is not my bag...it's why I chose my own path of belief. I just thought it a bit strange that the reaction is pointed as though he said it on the Tonight Show and not a extremely strict Catholic University.
Why does the audience make it any better? Would preaching racist filth to an audience of KKK members make it less pernicious? To me, it's a man with some stature in the community due to his athletic accomplishments making an anti-gay remark. Period.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; Yesterday at 11:02 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Why does the audience make it any better? Would preaching racist filth to an audience of KKK members make it less pernicious? To me, it's a man with some stature in the community due to his athletic accomplishments making an anti-gay remark. Period.
I am not defending his statements I don't believe in, only his right to say them.

There has been a lot going on it the past 8 months of people yelling horrifically awful things against others they have no idea about and attacking them in ways that infuriate me. I would like it to not happen but the solution to making that happen could be far worse in the long run than verbal altercations.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Sure, he can say whatever he wants, but so can his critics.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Sure, he can say whatever he wants, but so can his critics.
Completely fair and that would be the appropriate response.

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
I find it ironic....
Quote:
Data reflects....

You can't imagine how many people find it ironic that someone who claims to know of data that supports their world view or current argument goes silent when they are asked to provide sources/specifics of that data. Makes them seem like they are just making things up.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Last edited by CardPadre; Yesterday at 12:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
You can't imagine how many people find it ironic that someone who claims to know of data that supports their world view or current argument goes silent when they are asked to provide sources/specifics of that data. Makes them seem like they are just making things up.
Seriously? I can produce "data" to support my opinion just like any poster can support "data" to support their opinion. Are you not aware how easy it is to manipulate data in today's world?
It really comes down to life experience and what your life experiences have led you to believe what is in the best interest of raising healthy children. You can believe that a child is as resilient as adults when faced with less than optimal circumstances, I choose to believe otherwise based on my life experience. Children forced to start behind the starting lines because of adults bad choices is a disservice to children, you won't convince me otherwise.

-
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I am not taking a side here people as everyone is allowed their own beliefs and chosen path in life. I am only wondering if anyone actually read the transcript of the speech?

It certainly isn't perfect but it fit the audience and the text really seems vastly different than the media portrayal on this one. I am not much of a religious man but was raised Catholic and there is nothing here outside the box of what I heard in sermons growing up on Sunday. (Perhaps the brow beatings are a bit why I am not very religious, but I have come to not care what other people choose to do in my old age)

As for this being some vastly sexist speech as I have been told for days now...well after seeing the text, other than one awkwardly phrased sentence the rest seems somewhat dedicated to how he is only able to succeed due to the effort and sacrifice of his wife.

I am using this source FYI as it really is the only one I saw on google that was not honestly filled with the additional personal opinions of the writer...it's simply just a transcript. (I figured I would address that as I am sure someone will comment on the site)

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harr...at-benedictine
+1 well said. I'm probably a little too emotional on this subject and appreciate your balanced view.

-