NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Missing the thrill of openning packs

I only collect prewar cards right now, but I do miss the thrill that I used to get as a kid opening packs. I note that many collectors buy boxes of unopened packs. I've often been tempted to buy a box or two of cards just for the fun of seeing what I would get. I was wondering if anyone else buys cards that way? What kind of cards do you buy? and why?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

I usually buy the "blaster boxes" at Target. I'm there getting diapers and stuff anyway.

I usually buy stuff I like, Gypsy Queen or Allen and Ginter. Sometimes I'll pick up a handful of packs of slightly random stuff just to see if I like them.

Once in a while I'll buy a box at the card shop. Usually the same stuff.

I did buy a bunch of 2011 topps because I liked the online only cards. Saved points for a whole anniversary set and got three of the diamond die cuts.

Only buy them if you like the cards, as most will be worth less than you paid by next year, maybe sooner.

Steve B
Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Al Richter

Default Packs

I have a post war Topps pack run, and can remember opening packs from 57 to 62 after which I bought Topps cards in series from the Card Collectors Company in NY. I still collect Topps sets but after 94 bought factory box sets. To get back into packs I started collecting the Topps Heritage sets. They started with the 52 format and are now up to 63. The packs also have a retro look and are fun to open
Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
I only collect prewar cards right now, but I do miss the thrill that I used to get as a kid opening packs. I note that many collectors buy boxes of unopened packs. I've often been tempted to buy a box or two of cards just for the fun of seeing what I would get. I was wondering if anyone else buys cards that way? What kind of cards do you buy? and why?
I agree that the thrill of opening packs as a kid was great, so I sometimes try to re-live that by actually opening the same types of packs I did way back then. For me, that would be roughly 1977-87. I have a number of unopened wax, cello and rack packs from those years and I like to crack a few open from time-to-time on a rainy day or just if the mood strikes me.

Even though I built Topps sets from those years as kid, I have actually started new, "fresh" sets from these packs that I open. It'll take forever to finish them, and I really don't even care if I ever do, it's just fun to open them sometimes and then add them to their respective sets (instead of leaving them in piles on my desk, like I used to do).

You can still get unoponed boxes of Topps, Fleer, etc. from the early-mid 80s at reasonable prices and it's a lot of fun.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I usually buy the "blaster boxes" at Target. I'm there getting diapers and stuff anyway.

I usually buy stuff I like, Gypsy Queen or Allen and Ginter. Sometimes I'll pick up a handful of packs of slightly random stuff just to see if I like them.

Once in a while I'll buy a box at the card shop. Usually the same stuff.

I did buy a bunch of 2011 topps because I liked the online only cards. Saved points for a whole anniversary set and got three of the diamond die cuts.

Only buy them if you like the cards, as most will be worth less than you paid by next year, maybe sooner.

Steve B
I do the same, Steve. Last year I picked up one of those after-market packages which contains 10 packs, all different years/brands...I did pull a Brooks Robinson Auto out of a Goudey pack!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Richard A.

This is something I've done a lot in the past. In some situations, I've chosen to build sets from opening packs even when buying the complete set is easier/cheaper, just for the fun of tearing into a box.

Typically I've bought 80's and 90's junk wax because it's what I collected as a kid and is really cheap. As noted in another thread, this forum has got me thinking about buying another box of something.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Ben Martin

I made a 91 Fleer Ultra set after opening 2 boxes a few days ago. I will use some of the doubles to send out TTM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Todd

I occasionally like to pick up some 80's and 90's "junk." (Though I really don't think it's all junk.) Over the last several months I busted boxes of 1985 Donruss (pulled 2 Pucketts,) 1986 Donruss (2 McGriffs,) 1989 Fleer (pulled one Griffey and a Billy Ripken "FF,") 1989 Upper Deck (pulled 2 Griffeys, 2 Randy Johnsons, and a Biggio,) 1990 Leaf (2 Thomas and a Walker,) and 1990 Topps (going for a possible Thomas NNOF but pulled a Thomas GSOB - "gum stain on back.") LOL

It's fun to bust some boxes - I grew up with those cards.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Richard A.

I tore into a couple of boxes of '89 Fleer a few years back hoping to build a set and pull a Ripken FF along the way. Not only did I not find the Ripken, I was still almost 200 cards shy of the set. Hundreds of duplicates aside, it was a lot of fun.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM

There are two ways I like to open packs. The first is finding some cheap junk wax. I bought some '82 Donruss packs at a Flea Market last year for $1 each. I ended up opening 12 packs and pulled a Ripken RC. Even though it's a low value card, I consider it one of my favorite pulls. I also bought a box of '89 Fleer at the Flea Market and pulled the Ripken FF and the Griffey.

The other way I like to open packs is by picking a set and buying packs or boxes that go towards it. I spend more money buying the boxes, but its fun to see if I get any good inserts. I'll usually rotate buying boxes for a couple of different sets, so I might be working on a set for a few years.

Last edited by jhyde77; 07-12-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Dave

About every month or so I'll get a few random boxes just to bust. Last month I pulled a Sugar Ray Robinson Cut 1/1 so you never know. Never the less it is still fun for me to bust wax.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Bob

I recently started building '05 Topps Chrome and '08 Heritage with my sons for their birth years. Did so by buying a couple or 3 hobby boxes off the interwebz, then trading lots of duplicates with other collectors online. Must say that pulling the inserts is great fun (especially for my boys). Pulled a couple very nice autos, and sold them to pay for the boxes, basically.

We've had so much fun that we're building '12 Heritage and '12 Bowman now, the same way (with a few blaster boxes from Walmart/Target thrown in too). If you pull a few nice inserts and don't care about saving them (we don't, just building the "Base Master Sets"), you can get pretty close to the sets paying for themselves and having all the box rip fun for free.

Mid '50s for sale/trade

Last edited by wfubob; 07-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Jason

Default 1980's is the way to go for me!

I have had the same sort of issues in the past....where I collect mostly pre-war, with a fair amount of 50s and 60s. But to get my fix of opening packs, I buy cheap 1980s wax and have fun re-living my childhood for like $10-30 per box. I can't even bring myself to buy modern packs because they are so expensive.

The best fun I've had with this recently: 1986 Fleer Star Stickers! Awesome!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 AM

I've been really wanting to open a box with some early to mid '80s rookies. The rookies I want sell fairly low, but the boxes are $100. I could just buy the singles, but its not as fun.

Last edited by jhyde77; 07-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:59 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

I miss the perceived (or maybe real) scarcity of getting baseball cards.

When I was a kid in the early-mid 70's we only had a couple places that we knew of to buy cards. The 7-11 and the 5&10 store. The only product was Topps and they never got in more than a box or two at a time. I think they were about 35 cents a pack or so. My mom would let me have whatever change was in her purse to go to the store. We would head over there and all buy a pack or two, slowly open them and hope to get a Hank Aaron card! That was our Holy Grail! We didn't know rookies would be worth anything! At the start of the season it was easy to find them, but as the summer went on they would always be out! You'd be 3/4 of the way through a set and couldn't find packs! we would ask the cashier "can you look in the back please?" Sometimes you would get lucky and they had a box somewhere. Other times they would get mad at you for asking. The lady at the 5&10 told us, "you guys are a pain in my ass." That was the first time I ever had an adult say a bad word to me!

LOL By the end of summer it seemed impossible to find any packs. Sometimes another kid would tell you he saw some in the next town over so you would try to get your parents to stop at this store in the next town as you drove by. I remember one September actually seeing a new box at the 7-11 and freaking out. opened some packs and saw some new cards that said "TRADED" on them. What the hell is this? LOL And interestingly the gum was still soft! WOW! we would spend a lot of time trying to trade cards with friends to get what you needed to finish. I think I was like 12 cards short and figured I would never finish. but a friend gave me his old Baseball Digest and I saw an ad for this guy named Larry Fritsch who would sell you cards for pennies. I wrote him a letter and send cash in the mail! He sent me the cards I needed and stamped that I had a credit of a few cents LOL. Years later my friend still had my letter with the credit stamped on it. We were amazed how we had to try and finish a set. I thought it was cheating to do it that way but I needed to finish.

A few years later a friend of mine's parents got divorced. First time anyone I knew had this happen. His father would get him on the weekends and he would come home with a whole box of baseball cards! Where the hell do you get a whole box! The stores near us wouldn't sell you a box! Anyway after that the hobby started taking off and everyone bought in boxes or cases! Took all the excitement right out of it. I think things need to go back to the old days. One set, no inserts or parallels. make a lot less of them. Make it tough to finish. Bring back bad collation, I like getting 3 Hank Webbs in a pack! LOL I know its a pipe dream, too much money in making a lot of product.

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 07-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Chad J.

I miss not only the thrill of opening packs, but I miss the thrill of getting a good star card or one of your team in a pack nowadays when, instead, it seems if you don't get an auto card or a relic card or a short print card, it registers as a colossal disappointment.

I got a little of it back recently when I found out that a player who played at my school was in the 2011 Bowman Draft Picks set. I bought a retail box at Target and was thrilled to get his base card, more so than the relic or the chrome cards that I got in that box.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Matt Miller

Default Itch

I get the itch from time to time, and usually will purchase a box from my childhood. 89 UD or 90 Leaf are a couple that I couldn't afford to purchase as a child that I can now. I still get a thrill pulling an 89 UD Griffey or 90 Leaf Frank Thomas RC. Every now and again, I will but 82 or 83 Topps searching for the rookies of Ripken, Gwynn, Sandberg, and Boggs.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I miss the perceived (or maybe real) scarcity of getting baseball cards.

When I was a kid in the early-mid 70's we only had a couple places that we knew of to buy cards. The 7-11 and the 5&10 store. The only product was Topps and they never got in more than a box or two at a time. I think they were about 35 cents a pack or so. My mom would let me have whatever change was in her purse to go to the store. We would head over there and all buy a pack or two, slowly open them and hope to get a Hank Aaron card! That was our Holy Grail! We didn't know rookies would be worth anything! At the start of the season it was easy to find them, but as the summer went on they would always be out! You'd be 3/4 of the way through a set and couldn't find packs! we would ask the cashier "can you look in the back please?" Sometimes you would get lucky and they had a box somewhere. Other times they would get mad at you for asking. The lady at the 5&10 told us, "you guys are a pain in my ass." That was the first time I ever had an adult say a bad word to me!

LOL By the end of summer it seemed impossible to find any packs. Sometimes another kid would tell you he saw some in the next town over so you would try to get your parents to stop at this store in the next town as you drove by. I remember one September actually seeing a new box at the 7-11 and freaking out. opened some packs and saw some new cards that said "TRADED" on them. What the hell is this? LOL And interestingly the gum was still soft! WOW! we would spend a lot of time trying to trade cards with friends to get what you needed to finish. I think I was like 12 cards short and figured I would never finish. but a friend gave me his old Baseball Digest and I saw an ad for this guy named Larry Fritsch who would sell you cards for pennies. I wrote him a letter and send cash in the mail! He sent me the cards I needed and stamped that I had a credit of a few cents LOL. Years later my friend still had my letter with the credit stamped on it. We were amazed how we had to try and finish a set. I thought it was cheating to do it that way but I needed to finish.

A few years later a friend of mine's parents got divorced. First time anyone I knew had this happen. His father would get him on the weekends and he would come home with a whole box of baseball cards! Where the hell do you get a whole box! The stores near us wouldn't sell you a box! Anyway after that the hobby started taking off and everyone bought in boxes or cases! Took all the excitement right out of it. I think things need to go back to the old days. One set, no inserts or parallels. make a lot less of them. Make it tough to finish. Bring back bad collation, I like getting 3 Hank Webbs in a pack! LOL I know its a pipe dream, too much money in making a lot of product.
I'm with you on going back to the '70s. But think of how hard it would be to collect as an adult if it was a kid's hobby again. It would be like now collecting a kid's toy with very little value.

Last edited by jhyde77; 07-25-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

i have about 20-30 boxes of 1982 Donruss and Fleer in my attic somewhere....a few years ago I opened one (because I was 'dying to open packs) and pulled a Ripken RC....but my favorite card was the Carl Yaz (don't ask me to spell it)...also pulled an awesome looking Ryan that I gladly added to my collection!