NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Clayton

Default Pacquiao vs. Mayweather drama.......

So it's been all over the news since yesterday that the fight has been called off because Pacquiao doesn't want to have an "Olympic" style drug test........if I heard right,Pacquiao is threatening to sue Mayweather-for what,I am assuming for accusing Pacquiao of doping........any thoughts or comments from the boxing fans on this board?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Mayweather is afraid of Pacquiao. That can be the only explanation for demanding this style of testing which is much more rigorous than the normal testing of boxers and includes taking blood numerous times during the training process which apparently is what Pacquiao is objecting to..he doesn't object to other drug testing.

It's too bad too, because I'd love to see Mayweather get creamed.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Dave

The boxing message boards have been going crazy over this the last day or so. I think I'm going to let this shake itself out for a few days before I really form an opinion on the whole thing. So far public opinion seems pretty split down the middle between the two fighters.

I guess the bottom line is Mayweather agreed to a fight and decided a different form of drug testing should take place then what has been the standard procedure for every other fight prior to this one. The fighters already get tested prior to and after every bout.

Olympic style testing can take up to 16 different random blood draws throughout the course of training...........up to and including the day of the fight.

Pacman has never tested positive or been linked to any steroid suppliers at any point in his career up until now.

There's pretty much 3 camps of thought at play here:

#1. Mayweather doesn't really want this fight and was going to continue making unreasonable demands until the fight got nixed or he got every possible concession he could get out of Pacquiao.

#2. Mayweather's camp was playing mindgames with Pacquiao and trying to psyche him out of his game. They went too far, Manny got pissed, his pride got the best of him and he decided he didn't want to jump through hoops for the payday.

#3. The only reason Manny would turn down the testing is because he's juicing during training and cycles himself off just before the fights.

For me, from the outside looking in it looks like Pacquiao already agreed to drug testing from several independant parties, including through the Nevada Athletic Commision, but are leery of having the Mayweathers make specific demands or be in control of the testing procedures.

Both sides really come off looking bad in this mess and it would be a very bad thing for the sport if the fight did not come off because of this.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This testing thing is complete BS. I think it is a mind game designed to break the deal, which it apparently has. Chicken Floyd is just showing his true colors. He is a tremendously talented fighter but is loathe to get into the ring with anyone with a legitimate chance of beating him. His talent is all defense and speed-his technique is all hit and run-and that is why he fights only blown fighters, slower fighters or fighters whose styles are set-ups for him. Pacquiao is just as fast as Mayweather, Manny will be the aggressor the whole way, Manny will get inside his defense, and the decision will go against Mayweather--if he doesn't get knocked out. His only other choice is to try and go toe to toe with Pacquiao, which Chicken Floyd never, ever does. I think the fight will actually look a lot like Paul Williams-Winky Wright with Pacman as Williams.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-26-2009, 10:37 PM

It’s on its face silly that one boxer would get to unilaterally decide (actually switch) the drug testing procedures, in particular so soon before the fight. It's like the Green Bay Packers unexpectedly getting to chose where the Super Bowl is played 2 weeks before they play in the game (Let me guess, they’d pick Green Bay).
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As of now the fight is off. Each guy is walking away from a $25 million or more payday. IMO Mayweather never wanted to fight Pacquiao anyway because Chicken Floyd knows he is going to get his butt kicked. Maybe he can get another shot at Dancing With The Stars.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-08-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Clayton

Exhibitman,those pictures say it all!!!!!!!!!!

Mayweather is afraid,and he should be.He knows Manny will smash him,and now Mayweather is making himself look like a coward.

I have a funny feeling somewhere down the line we will see them fight.

I wondered for a minute if this was another one of those "hype" things........
Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
FredYoung

Floyd won't fight Mosely either--until he fights either Shane or Manny he won't have the stature he "thinks" he already has attained!