NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-30-2016, 10:47 AM

Default A Tale of Two White Whales

I was going to add this in with my next article coming up in the next few days (which I'm quite excited about sharing with you) but decided to dedicate a post just to this, because it was so epic!

The following is not a story of a brand new shiny 1/1 with pieces of memorabilia, and autographs. No, this is a story of 2 cards- each with very intriguing backgrounds...stories so rich that they make those who collect older cards dream about the day they get to add them to their collections.

Last week, I shared with you my monster project of www.CansecoCollector.com - the site that shows every single piece of my Jose Canseco collection in a searchable format. It took months and months to have everything wrapped up.

The next day, (Thursday morning), I woke up and grabbed my phone to check my messages. The first one stuck out to me from @bobsbbcards.

"I enjoyed viewing your Cansecos. One card I didn't see was the '88 Topps Cloth Experimental A's Leaders. Do you have that one?"

Welp, that woke me up.

I quickly wrote back and said I did not, and then asked if he had one available. (It is one of my white whales!)

For those of you who don't know, the 1988 Topps Cloth Experimental issue w/McGwire is a truly epic card for anyone's collection. It is very rare, and considered a crown jewel for all Canseco / McGwire collectors who own it.

Here is a little write up of the background of them:

==========

This experiment was a failure, as Topps decided it wasn't going to be feasible to produce and distribute them. All sheets they made were stamped "SAMPLE ONLY NOT FOR SALE". They were not meant to see the light of day. Some did however, make it out the back door, and eventually into the collections of a few very lucky individuals.

==========

After waiting (impatiently) for a while, he wrote back and said this:

"The card is yours for free if you want it. Just send me your address. I'd love for it to be part of such an amazing collection. )"

And he sends this picture:

He wasn't yanking my chain - he actually had one! So it appeared, anyway!

Bob sent me a tracking number, and the card was to make it here on Monday. The mail came, and sure enough! A box with his address was at my door. I ripped the box open, and pulled out the newest addition to my collection. The 1988 Topps Cloth Experimental Test Issue! I cannot tell you how tough this card is to obtain. I have not even seen one for sale, and yet here it is - in my collection.

Bob decided to post another card that I didn't have. He said "Unfortunately I only have one of these."

My response:

Yes folks - though the 1988 Topps Cloth is the oldest prototype card on my want list, I'd have to say I wanted this one even more.

I wrote him immediately, and he confirmed my suspicions: It was not for sale. I wrote him and asked if there was anything I could do to change his mind ... if there was any price he would accept. He wrote me to let me know that unfortunately no price would be possible to get him to part with it.

While so incredibly thankful for the cloth card, I was really bummed that I knew where one of these Blue Chip cards were, yet could do nothing to get it. As with the cloth test, I have never seen this up for sale ever before.

Here is some information I found from them online:

==========

Apparently, Donruss decided to create the Blue Chip set. It was scrapped in exchange for the Grand Slammers sub-set. They were to be destroyed, but the person in charge of the press saw an opportunity and yoinked some of these sets out the back door. For fear of it costing his job, he held onto them and told no one. He passed away before anything could be done with them, and they became available to the public during an estate sale. Having one of these in your collection is sort of like winning the lottery for a player collector.

==========

Over the next few days, I put some time into the project I'll be revealing in a day or two (if all goes well) and took a break. I went downstairs to watch tv during lunch while my wife and son were out bowling. Someone knocked on the door, and it was the mail lady. I'm not sure why, but she seemed very grumpy.

She gave me a box and a piece of paper to sign. While signing, I asked her if any mail was in my box and she said yes. As I followed her out, I instinctively looked at the box I was carrying, not giving it a second thought, and saw Bob's name on the address. I was confused and didn't know what it could be, but then thought to myself ... WHAT IF?!?!?!!?

I day or two earlier, I was telling my wife about the whole situation, and chuckled a bit as I said "what if he sends me the Blue Chip card?" (in a very what-if-I-won-a-million-dollars tone.) She laughed too and said "not a chance!" I agreed with her - after all, the guy just sent me a phenomenal card, and said he wouldn't even take money for the Blue Chip.

I hurried to get the rest of the mail and get back inside. When it comes to mail, I generally save best for last, but I couldn't help myself this time. With my hands literally shaking, I ripped open the box and pulled out a padded envelope. The padded envelope had a cardboard sandwich with a top loader in the middle. I pulled it out, and screamed like a little girl! (Yeah, it was embarrassing even though I was the only one around.)

There it was: the 1989 Leaf Blue Chip Jose Canseco card! The second card I have been looking for forever came to me in a week! I am still in shock. This is like a player collector's dream come true!

As I found out earlier today, Bob has quite a collection, and has been featured on the PSA website a few times. Here is a link: Collector Profile: Fisk's Focus on Everything

After emailing him to say THANK YOU, he wrote this little bit to me:

"I'm glad your happy. I explained to my wife that there's a certain harmony in the world (or there needs to be), and for me to have the Canseco Blue Chip and for you not to didn't make sense. I like this much better."

Once again, thank you so much Bob. The 2 cards you sent over to me this week are true crown jewels to my collection. I still can't believe that you did that!

To end this posting, I'm going to go ahead and list my most wanted cards that I have, as it is now missing 2 cards thanks to Bob

2016 Topps Tier One Bat Barrel/Autograph 1/1
2016 Topps Finest Intimidators Superfractor 1/1
2016 Donruss Signature Series 1/1
2015 Topps Museum Momentous Materials Laundry Tag 1/1
1998 Donruss Crusade Red
1998 Pacific Online Winners
1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold
1997 Collector's Choice Crash the Game Instant Winner #CG23
1996 Ultra HR Kings Gold Medallion Exchange
1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
1996 Leaf Preferred Steel Bronze
1996 Leaf Signature Platinum Press Proof
1996 Collector's Choice Crash the Game Exchange Gold #CR5
1989 Donruss Blue Chips

... I also need MANY others. If you have any rare Canseco, please let me know!

To wrap this up, Bob is who I think we as collectors should all strive to be. Bob, thank you sincerely for being what every collector should strive to be: truly selfless with their collection. The amount of joy I have from these cards knowing that they came from you is immeasurable!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Al Richter

Default Bob

Bob is one of the finest people I know in the hobby and his post war collection in second to none. But his basement is a hazardous work zone. I almost tripped over a bunch of those Leaf Blue Chips in big box. At least he had his 61 dice and 67 Stand Ups up on a desk out of the way.

Bob is also a recognized bridge player. But having seen him teach a class I can tell you using him as an instructor is not for the feint of heart, or anyone with half an ego..

The 88 Cloth are a neat set, one of the harder Topps 80 issues.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I don't know bob but WOW that's like a dream. I couldn't imagine someone just sending me to biggies from my want list.

The story had a lot of back door action butt it was very entertaining. Congrats on the pick ups .
Old 06-30-2016, 01:09 PM

@ Al.

Mouschi, that is amazing! Congrats! I knew Bob was a good guy n' all, but this solidifies it for the ages. I saw the little exchange in your thread on CU and wondered what would be the result.

Incredibly kind of Bob to send you a card for free that you just got done basically saying "name your price" about. I've seen some great hobby gestures, and been the recipient of a couple, but this one might take the cake.

We should all strive for hobby harmony like Bob.

Last edited by CW; 06-30-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Al Richter

Default Bob

It is hard for me to think of Bob as harmonic
Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 PM
Ben W.hitener

Great story! Awesome Canseco cards!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:19 PM
Dave

Awesome stuff. Great people out there.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Bob is one of the finest people I know in the hobby and his post war collection in second to none. But his basement is a hazardous work zone. I almost tripped over a bunch of those Leaf Blue Chips in big box. At least he had his 61 dice and 67 Stand Ups up on a desk out of the way.

Bob is also a recognized bridge player. But having seen him teach a class I can tell you using him as an instructor is not for the feint of heart, or anyone with half an ego..

The 88 Cloth are a neat set, one of the harder Topps 80 issues.
I have been rather frustrated with another person I was dealing with who has seemingly taken my money and cards. It is so nice to have found someone who was the exact opposite of that knucklehead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I don't know bob but WOW that's like a dream. I couldn't imagine someone just sending me to biggies from my want list.

The story had a lot of back door action butt it was very entertaining. Congrats on the pick ups .
So true about it being a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
@ Al.

Mouschi, that is amazing! Congrats! I knew Bob was a good guy n' all, but this solidifies it for the ages. I saw the little exchange in your thread on CU and wondered what would be the result.

Incredibly kind of Bob to send you a card for free that you just got done basically saying "name your price" about. I've seen some great hobby gestures, and been the recipient of a couple, but this one might take the cake.

We should all strive for hobby harmony like Bob.
Take the cake, ice cream and dinner for sure for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Awesome stuff. Great people out there.
Amen to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Great story! Awesome Canseco cards!
Thank you!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Ben North

Tanner that is awesome and Bob sounds like a great guy!!!

Some day when/if I ever grow up I aspire to be like Bob.

There are some great people in this hobby and there are several on this board that have sent me some amazing stuff. Including one gentleman that posted in this thread that sent me a complete run of vintage Bowman reprint sets minus the 1955 set.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:05 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Cool story. Congrats on the pickups, I'm in the process of putting together a Mets team set of the 1988 Cloth and they are seriously tough.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:31 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Very cool story! This is seriously what the hobby is about!
Old 07-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default That is cool!

Cool!

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:15 PM

great story. i liked how bob gave the card to you as a surprise - great surprises are always the best. im sure you would have been super happy had he just emailed you and said the card is yours - but, Bob sounds like that extra special kind of guy to send the card out as a surprise just to make your receipt of the card even more special.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordanby View Post
great story. i liked how bob gave the card to you as a surprise - great surprises are always the best. im sure you would have been super happy had he just emailed you and said the card is yours - but, Bob sounds like that extra special kind of guy to send the card out as a surprise just to make your receipt of the card even more special.
The fact that it came in without me knowing ... amazing. I still have both cards prominently displayed on my desk!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:45 AM
M@rk Comer

Appreciate you sharing what Bob did for you in regard to your collection. I know from experience there are some really good people within the hobby and know it as a hobby, not life and death. Sometimes the bad apples are the focus and it's nice to hear about some of the good people out there, which many are right here on this board (and posting in this thread).

Thanks Bob for showing what it is to be a good guy...