NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Photos by Paul Thompson

I was just going through some of my favorite prints and noticed that the back of this 'Thompson-stamped' print of rookie Fred Lindstrom, had extensive penciled notes. I remembered the debate we had after the 'T205 Thompson' auctions last year, as to whether or not Paul Thompson took his own photos (or what % he took). To me there is a 'Paul Thompson look' to many of the 'Thompson-stamped' prints. This is one such print. The handwriting on the back matches up perfectly with other such stamped prints, some such writing being identified in auctions as Thompson's. I can't say whether or not Thompson took any particular photo, but I think this one has a pretty good chance.

If you have a Thompson-stamped print with similar handwriting on the back, please post up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lindstrom-Thompson.jpg (71.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Lindstrom-Thompson-B.jpg.jpg (71.8 KB, 202 views)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Looks like I'm the only forum member with a Thompson print with his handwriting. I didn't realize these were so rare, but obviously happy to find out.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I have no special insight into Thompson, but know that Bain and Matthew Brady also used other photographers.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Your print came out of the archive I work with. There are many examples with handwritten notes on the back. Who wrote the notes and when is certainly debatable. I’d have to pull multiple and examine them closely to determine if there are any handwriting matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Your print came out of the archive I work with. There are many examples with handwritten notes on the back. Who wrote the notes and when is certainly debatable. I’d have to pull multiple and examine them closely to determine if there are any handwriting matches.

Thanks Andrew, for the added information. I was kind of joking - I always do that if one of my uninteresting esoteric threads goes a day or two with no response.

I was able to compare the handwriting to a few others that had the 'Thompson' look. I was hoping that this thread would get a few Thompson print owners to check the backs of their prints, get excited when they saw the handwriting matched mine, and post. I was further hoping that the ones with what I consider Thompson's 'look' would be the ONLY ones with the handwriting mine has, which could have been a clue that he did not handle so much the prints created by his news service.

But with no data...
Old 05-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Thanks Andrew, for the added information. I was kind of joking - I always do that if one of my uninteresting esoteric threads goes a day or two with no response.

I was able to compare the handwriting to a few others that had the 'Thompson' look. I was hoping that this thread would get a few Thompson print owners to check the backs of their prints, get excited when they saw the handwriting matched mine, and post. I was further hoping that the ones with what I consider Thompson's 'look' would be the ONLY ones with the handwriting mine has, which could have been a clue that he did not handle so much the prints created by his news service.

But with no data...

It’s definitely worth looking into. I bet there are some examples to look at just from the shots I’ve got on my phone. I’ll take a look tonight and post if I come across anything interesting.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
It’s definitely worth looking into. I bet there are some examples to look at just from the shots I’ve got on my phone. I’ll take a look tonight and post if I come across anything interesting.

I can tell you that for the portrait images those definitely have the same handwriting for the player ID’s:

Last edited by TCMA; 05-15-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Andrew Aronstein

And to add to the confusion there are also Thompson images with similar handwriting plus what appears to be Conlon’s handwriting, though it may all be Conlon’s now that I’m looking at it again.

Last edited by TCMA; 05-15-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

That's definitely Conlon's handwriting on the back of those Thompson's.

I think we need Ben in here.