NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Rob Miller

Default Football Pickup Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Rob Miller

Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Robert

One of the Greats! Love that card Rob
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Jeff P

Great pickups, guys! Here's an upgrade for my National Chicle set I recently picked up:

jeff
Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 AM

Love the Football here guys! Very Nice stuff!

A few of my latest for my 71 set. Hoping the PSA's will cross for my SGC set.

John
Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Robert

Jeff that's one good look card!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 AM
$cotty @.utin

Jeff- that Chicle set you are building is unbelievable.

Was able to pick this one up in the last REA auction, just getting around to posting it. Very nice card.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Marshall Goldberg and Howie Weiss snapshot from a 1939 All Star Game.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Robert

Great Pics Adam!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 AM

Default nice

Looks nicer then a 7 to me, great card

WOW

QUOTE=jefferyepayne;1214032]Great pickups, guys! Here's an upgrade for my National Chicle set I recently picked up:

jeff[/QUOTE]
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Jeff P

Great autographs! Love the one of Bakken but it would be even cooler to add HOF holder Roger Wehrli's to it.

Picked this up recently.

jeff
Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Robert

Jeff that is a classy card brother. The picture shows how football is supposed to be done. The card is a piece of artwork in my mind. Great pickup brother!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Jeff that is a classy card brother. The picture shows how football is supposed to be done. The card is a piece of artwork in my mind. Great pickup brother!!!
Thanks Robert! The '55 Topps set is definitely a classic. Great players and images from a time when no tackler led with their helmet!

Here's another one I picked up in the Fall and didn't post.

jeff
Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Jeff

Those are some freakin beautiful 55 All Americans you've been posting.

It is indeed one of the classic vintage football sets out there. I started a set a few years ago. When I started out my goal was mid grade EXMT with centering being the focal point.

That didn't last long as I started to gravitated torward NM or better cards with centering still the main focus.

I haven't done much with the set in the last year as cost was starting to kill me on many of the cards. Right now Im at 50 cards(half the set)

I can only imagine what those NM-T and higher cards would do to my budget!
One card like that "horseman" and POOF!!! goes the budget.

Someday I hope to pick up a few more for my set.

I do have many of the Key cards:

Hope to see more of your higher grade beauties!
John Clayes
Old 12-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Jeff P

Wow, those are killer '55s, John! LOVE the Thorpe. At this point I don't have any other high grade '55s to post. Most of my post-war sets are raw, but I've been slowly picking up graded stars in these sets when I see a good deal.

In general, I like raw cards so I can keep my sets in binders and actually *look* at them when I want to. I'm not a big fan of stacks and stacks of plastic Plus I just can't see the value in getting common cards graded as I'm not into the registry game and it seem like a waste of $$$ that could be used to purchase other things.

Speaking of Mr. Thorpe, I picked this up this week and am pretty excited about it.

jeff
Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 PM

"In general, I like raw cards so I can keep my sets in binders and actually *look* at them when I want to. I'm not a big fan of stacks and stacks of plastic Plus I just can't see the value in getting common cards graded as I'm not into the registry game and it seem like a waste of $$$ that could be used to purchase other things."

Jeff I have the same Philosiphy! While I do enjoy doing a couple graded sets the vast majority of my collection will always be raw.

Ive also posted before about being able to see the "Flow" of a set and how that can only be seen in binder form. From the fronts on one page to the backs on the next page. As I am a centering freak it also allows me to view the overall centering much better.

To me binders offer the best and most user friendly way to store and view sets.
I just go to the library of volumes and pull out which one I want.

I totally agree that giant stacks of plastic holders are no fun when it comes to being able to pull out a card set to view.

I have a 1972 Topps football set(Graded) and it is simply impossible to enjoy them as much. First off the storage case weight a ton! Then having to shuffle through stacks of holders a handful at a time becomes more of a chore than it is fun. I can and do appreciate the beauty of the set in graded form and will likely scan all the cards for easier viewing.

Ive made special divider boards to place throughout the sets I have in binders as well as custom slip covers for each binder that eliminates the the most common problem with binders, loose and or sagging pages. I also change out the pages every 5 years or so.

While I can understand and appricate a beautiful graded set. NEVER could it replace the ability to touch, feel and smell a raw card, Jest like when we were kids.

Ive been criticized and publicly stoned on the CU board for posting pics of cards Ive cracked out of slabs for my raw sets. But that's ok I don't have to justify what I do with my collection to anybody but myself and im quite happy with the collection Ive built over the years.

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 12-12-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:41 AM
Erik

John, I never get tired of seeing your collection or pictures of how you store your collection.

I do have a question for you. The album showing the 1970 Topps set with the wrappers. Are the wrappers all different from the set? I know different wrappers would have different offers for kids.

By the way John, you should be proud of the collection you have built over the years. Never apologize for freeing slabbed cards! They need to be in their "natural" state anyway. :-)

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 12-13-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
John, I never get tired of seeing your collection or pictures of how you store your collection.

I do have a question for you. The album showing the 1970 Topps set with the wrappers. Are the wrappers all different from the set? I know different wrappers would have different offers for kids.

By the way John, you should be proud of the collection you have built over the years. Never apologize for freeing slabbed cards! They need to be in their "natural" state anyway. :-)
+1000

A great collection and storage system. What sets have you completed to date and which ones are you still working on?

I avoid CU because in my opinion they delete any post they disagree with. To me that makes their forum more of a PSA marketing site than a discussion among true collectors. Anyone who posts opinions about keeping cards raw over there should expect to be disparaged.

jeff
Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Mike Dugan

John those photos are great! Nice collection.

I have searched for years for nice albums with slipcases much like the heavy duty ones the stamp collecting companies produce. I would love to see ones with a sort of leather feel to them.

The best I have found come from an archival supply company Gaylord.com, the problem is both size and cost. Their best Buckram album is only a 2' D-Ring and they run $58.09 with slipcase. They also have a 2 1/2 inch leatherette for $26.25 without slipcase.

I am putting my pre-60 stuff in the expensive albums for now, maybe a lottery win will supply more!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:28 AM

Smile

Erik

Don't worry, I don't apologize to ANYBODY for what I choose to do with my hobby endeavors. Jeff is correct about the CU board. Ive been "booted" off a couple times now for having opinions that the Brass there didn't like.
Even so I have a few respectable hobby pals over there.

The 1970 Wrappers are just random ones I picked up. I like to have the first page in each of my binder sets to be the Wrappers. I still need a few more to fill out the 1970 page. Im not sure how many different ad versions there are.

As for what sets I have complete?

All of them multiple times over it seems LOL

Once I find the right 69 Larry Csonka Rookie I will have a complete run of Topps Football Sets from 1960, 1969 thru 1989. But Ive become a condition junkie over the years and still have "wantlists" for all of them. Even when I do complete a wantlist, I just go through the set again and pick out the weaker cards and make another wantlist. That's why I have restorted to breaking cards from slabs if need be.

Other Sets Im working on:
1955 Topps All Americans (still need 50 cards, half the set)
1957 Topps Football ( Have all the Big guns, still need 20 cards)
1968 Topps Football ( Have about 70-80 cards, haven't gave it my all($$$) yet

I also have a 1974 and 1975 Topps Baseball sets

Sets I would like to have(Build)
1962 Topps Football (Being a condition junkie, this could cost me a fortune!)
1967 Topps Football

HOT SPRINGS BATHER

I have seen and actually bought and tried a few of the expensive Slip case Albums, but was dissatisfied because they seemed to big and the pages didn't fit them as well as I had hoped. I really prefer the BWC D-Ring Ablums. I know my home made Slip covers aren't to pretty, but they work great for me.

So keeping with the original topic of New football pick ups, I just got this beauty!

I was all set to break a Mint 9 slab, when I took a chance on this one.
Virtually every raw card on ebay is overgraded, But I got lucky and beat the odds for once on this Hampton Rookie. Its a keeper! That's for sure!

Aw Hell! Getting buried in snow here! Now the wife will think its more important to shovel the drive and get groceries than it is to Play with my cards.

Better go for now guys!

Be save and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 12-14-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:47 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Montana to Rice

.. just discovered this football section. Added Joe last week, to pair with Jerry (added earlier this year).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1981 Topps Joe Montana signed.jpg (77.7 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg 1986 Topps Jerry Rice signed.jpg (75.3 KB, 335 views)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Sam Lemoine

I have always had an affinity for the AAFC. While I don't have a huge collection of AAFC items, I do grab them on occasion. About a year ago, I picked up a high school yearbook of Buffalo Bisons/Bills running back Chet Mutryn. Unfortunately, it had no signatures. Last week, I finally got one. While he is not a HOFer by any means, he was one of the best backs in the AAFC and I am proud to add his signature to my collection.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Jeff P

That is awesome, Sam!

I've become a big fan of the AAFC as well and have been collecting up cards and memorabilia from that league for a while. Here are a couple of recent pickups I'm excited about.

Paul Brown as rookie head coach of the Browns in 1946

One of the few football cards sets from the AAFC. As Carl L will tell you, this set is a BEAR to put together.

jeff
Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Carl Lamendola

Beautiful Silber's card, Jeff.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Sam Lemoine

I'd love to take a shot at that Silber's set, but as a high school chemistry teacher, my paycheck is just a tad short of that league. Great card!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 AM

Those Silber cards are very cool indeed! Whos the big names in the set?

Love the Montana and Rice as well Thanks for posting those!

Very old vintage!

Mid vintage!

Old Modern

New Modern

This Thread has it ALL!

Happy Holidays Guys!

John
Old 12-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Those Silber cards are very cool indeed! Whos the big names in the set?
Three words: Yelberton Abraham Tittle. Everyone else is considered a common although current NFLer Rex Grossman's dad is one of the players.

Also very rare are any card that have a large "E" in the box on the back. If you collected cards that spelled S-I-L-B-E-R-S you could redeem them for a prize at the bakery. The bakery greatly restricted letter "E" cards so not too many people would win.

jeff
Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Daniel Elsass

Added many other items to my The OSU Football collection:

1919 OSU vs UM Program:

1919 OSU vs UM ticket (non-student) the only one is known:

1919 OSU vs Illinois ticket, the only loss of Chic Harley's college career:

Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Very unusual and cool old items Padrino!

I always enjoy looking at old vintage items and pictures as well

Thanks for posting them!

John
Old 12-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Very unusual and cool old items Padrino!

I always enjoy looking at old vintage items and pictures as well

Thanks for posting them!

John
John,

Take a look at some of my items here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/105190448@N06/sets

Thanks, Dan
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Wow Dan!

Absolutely beautiful stuff on your web page!

I could look through that all day long!

From the Mayo cards to the Vintage Photos! Its like going back in a time Machine!

I was especially taken by the colorful art on many of the items. Just beautiful stuff Man.

A couple of favorites I'll note were the Rose Bowl Tickets. They were absolutely gorgeous pieces! The early to mid seventies were my favorites. The color and the graphics are just eye popping!

I would encourage everybody here to take a look at the items Dan has amassed in his collection. Beautiful pieces of history they are!

I gotta go now. I have to go back and take a closer look at some of these splendid items.

Thanks for Sharing Dan!

Last edited by BigRedOne; 12-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Erik

Dan, I want to echo John's comments on your page...AWESOME stuff.

My favorites were the Rose Bowl tickets from the late 60s into the 70s as well...so cool!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
John,

Take a look at some of my items here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/105190448@N06/sets

Thanks, Dan
Dan,
Great looking items! Those tickets were my favorite. Keep up the hunt. And as always...Beat Navy.

Scotty

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Daniel Elsass

Thanks everyone!

I am quite fond of the Flikr site for ease of uploading and organizing items and highly encourage folks to use it. I was using photobucket for this purpose and found that it is only good for inserting links in to web forums, not for displaying.

If anyone comes across unique Ohio State items, please let me know.

I am searching for the schedule that is in my avatar, OSU vs UM tickets, 1921 Rose Bowl ticket, any OSU pre-1925 tickets, and Chic Harley stuff.

The schedule is a 1924:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1051904...7637603500886/

Thanks, take care, Dan

Last edited by Il Padrino; 12-23-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Daniel Elsass

On the Mayo and Chicle home front, I have Jeff to thank for those. Not to mention he has been amazing in helping keep an eye peeled for tough items I may be interested in. Thanks Jeff!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Dan,
Truly Some really beautiful items there!!!

I attended the 1971 Rose Bowl when I was around 12 years old with my Dad.
We were just talking about it the other day.
What game that was!!!
Plunket to Vatha at the end to win it.

Rex Kern, John Brockington, Jack Tatum, Jim Plunkett, Randy Vathha, Woody Hays etc.

What a beautiful day and memorable game it was!
I had never been in a stadium that held close to 100K people.
Thanks for reminding me of it again.

PS.
I still have the program, but I sure wish I would have kept those darn stubbs!

Last edited by mojorob; 12-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Jeff P

A couple of upgrades to my Mayo Set. Happy Holidays everyone!

jeff
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
A couple of upgrades to my Mayo Set. Happy Holidays everyone!

jeff
Jeff, those are amazing! Everything I have seen for that set is much lower grade. Nice pickups. I am really enjoying seeing what everyone is posting here. Some truly nice collections. I like the vintage pre-war stuff. Just has such a nice clean classic look. Happy New Year everyone!
Eric
Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Jeff P

Thanks Eric,

There's some other members on here with some amazing Mayos as well but they're just being shy

I do have a handful of lower grade extras that I'm looking to sell if anyone is working on this set.

Also, Gridiron Greats did a 3 part series on this set a while back that is a very worthwhile read. It goes team by team and discusses each player in detail. It was written by Net54's (and MSB Sportcard's) John S. (Net54 ID: myachelydra).

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Jeff, those are amazing! Everything I have seen for that set is much lower grade. Nice pickups. I am really enjoying seeing what everyone is posting here. Some truly nice collections. I like the vintage pre-war stuff. Just has such a nice clean classic look. Happy New Year everyone!
Eric
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Very nice Mayo's Jeff. I don't know what it is about them, but they're kind of spooky looking cards. Ghostly? Maybe?

My latest pick up and one that Finishes off my 69 Set.

Now to gear up to tackle that 68 Football Set!

Happy Holidays to all!

John
Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Erik

Quote:
Very nice Mayo's Jeff. I don't know what it is about them, but they're kind of spooky looking cards. Ghostly? Maybe?

My latest pick up and one that Finishes off my 69 Set.

Now to gear up to tackle that 68 Football Set!

Happy Holidays to all!

John
Congrats John. You finally got your Csonka card...nice!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 PM

Yes I finally got one Erik.

I know there is lots of love for the 69 set, but the Csnoka Rookie is really a very unappealing card to me, which is why I probably drug my feet so long in plopping down a C-note plus for the card. It just doesn't seem to POP! like other cards from the set. For instance the Sayers Card.

I was excited about finally finding a cherry 79 Tom Jackson with the darker card stock back though! As well as a Super Mint 77 card of the Great Cardinal wideout Mel Gray.

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 12-30-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:36 AM
Jeff P

Wow, great Csonka, Jackson, Gray pickups! And the Sayers definitely POPS!

jeff
Old 12-31-2013, 06:33 AM
Jeff P

A few more upgrades to my Chicle set.

jeff
Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 AM
Erik

John, I see what you mean about the Csonka card as compared to the Sayers card. No comparision really.

I have stated my appreciation for the 1977 Topps set before and again, I don't remember buying one pack as a 10 year old kid back in the day. That being said, super sharp Mel Gray and 79 Tom Jackson cards.

And, Jeff, whoa...talk about two sweet looking nearly 80 year old cards! Great pick up.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Nice

Nice pick ups fellas

Jeff Thanks for the Dale Chilcle, looks great in my collection

I am envious of those 1935 pick ups WOW!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Display Chicles

Jeff how do you display your 1935 Chicles?? I was thinking either framing them all with the wrapper in the center once I complete the set!! 6 more to go!!!

Or buy a 1930's style curio display case and have them lined up behind the glass

WHat do you guys think or how do you display collections??
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Jeff P

I've seen nice framed displays that some have done with their cards. Also some nice display cases with cards in them. Personally, I don't display my cards. I keep all of the good stuff at the bank so it's not readily available.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
Jeff how do you display your 1935 Chicles?? I was thinking either framing them all with the wrapper in the center once I complete the set!! 6 more to go!!!

Or buy a 1930's style curio display case and have them lined up behind the glass

WHat do you guys think or how do you display collections??
Old 12-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Carl Lamendola

I kinda like how the national chicle premiums display in the sgc holders they have a nice black border around the premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk