NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Joe, can we see the Nags 8? I've been there on the upgrade issue - what really makes it hard is sometimes the higher grade one (say a 5) goes for less than my 4, so of course I throw a bid in and win, then I have 2 cards and I still like the lower grade one, so I sell the higher grade one (for a loss of course after fees, etc.) - definitely a pattern I'm trying to repeat less....
If that's happening, you are not bidding on these correctly. I've had 4 Nags and never taken a loss on any of them. I could sell my PSA 5 for a profit right now ;-)

Also remember to not get hung up on the grade. Grading is an imperfect science and I see cards ALL THE TIME that don't belong in the holder they are in. Buy the card, not the slab!

jeff
Old 10-29-2015, 07:51 PM
John

Hi Jeff, I know - I get hung up on the grade sometimes. I need to trust myself when I think a lower grade card is nicer and ignore the higher graded one.

I also tend to have losses because I have no patience - I just auction off duplicates right away.

My examples aren't on Nags or high priced cards - I'm talking about 35 Chicle low numbered non HOFers - the prices have gotten really low! I just saw a PSA 7 sell around 120. Psa 4 cards get down around 40, similar for 5s and 6s - not sure if collectors are exiting this set or what, but it's definitely a better time to start collecting this set than when I started. I wish I could have gotten these prices at the beginning.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 10-29-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:22 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Hi Jeff, I know - I get hung up on the grade sometimes. I need to trust myself when I think a lower grade card is nicer and ignore the higher graded one.

I also tend to have losses because I have no patience - I just auction off duplicates right away.

My examples aren't on Nags or high priced cards - I'm talking about 35 Chicle low numbered non HOFers - the prices have gotten really low! I just saw a PSA 7 sell around 120. Psa 4 cards get down around 40, similar for 5s and 6s - not sure if collectors are exiting this set or what, but it's definitely a better time to start collecting this set than when I started. I wish I could have gotten these prices at the beginning.
I hear you on the Chicles. That's why as much as possible I try not to escalate prices above VCP on anything I buy. I'd rather wait for a price that's reasonable. Also the card market goes up and down just like any market. I'm a big believer that the Chicle set (and football in general!) will increase in value over time but like anything, there will be peaks and valleys. As it's impossible to time the market perfectly, I just try to buy stuff I think is a decent deal and sell doubles when I think the market is a bit crazy. Otherwise I hang onto them if I can afford it and wait for the market to come back.

With the stock market taking a huge hit this last quarter, ANY industry/hobby that relies upon disposable income will see a bit of a hit. There's just less disposable cash floating around out there. Cards are no different in my mind.

Final point is that when the stock market is hot, you get a lot of speculators showing up who are trying to buy and flip things on the rise. That's never a good time for collectors to purchase items. Now that the market has cooled, I'm seeing some really nice deals out there on some sets / items. I agree that now is the time to pick up some of those things you want that were overpriced before.

Always a fun conversation to talk about cards with respect to the economy / stock market as it adds a bit of a twist to collecting.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 10-30-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:09 AM

Here is a pic of the graded panel I just got back