NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2001, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default A ? about cabinet cards and grading services

Posted By: Chris

Does anyone know why the grading services do not grade cabinet cards? I always assumed it was because the size of the cards made slabbing them too difficult/costly, etc. Lately though, it seems like larger cards are being graded. Surely it cant be that hard to make a piece of plastic to hold a Turkey Red can it???

Old 12-14-2001, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

I collect a lot of different cabinets so I'd like to see them grade them but I think it's a matter of supply and demand. The standard 2.5x3.5 cards are so prevalent that PSA, SGC, etc can have the equipment pretty much standardized to handle large demand for that size. The vast majority of the cards in the SCD catalog fall into the normal sized holders or the larger holders for cards like exhibits, 64 Topps Giants. Unfortunately, Old Judge Cabinets, T3's, W600's and other 'standard' sized cabinet cards are lots bulkier and there just aren't as many out there. Who knows, maybe someone will belly up and do it down the road. I would think the cost to grade would have to be quite a bit higher to match demand to be able to pay for the equipment. On another note.....at this year's National, the wonderful folks at PRO were grading autographed 8x10's with a similar type of holder as the cards for the 8x10's so someone has the equipment out there. Don't feel too comfortable sending anything to them though!

Old 12-14-2001, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Hopefully the "real" grading companies (I dont count PRO in that group!) will decide its worth the effort. Personally, I wouldnt mind paying a little extra to get my cabinets slabbed.

Old 12-14-2001, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I suspect that accuracy of authentication/identification/dating is a big issue for the grading card companies-- as, unlike most regular trading cards, there is a wide, wide variety of oscure and unique style cabinet cards of obscure players. If you think PSA has troubles labelling an Old Judge or E90-1, wait until they try labelling some obscure cabinet card, like Jaime's ... My personal hope is that, other than the possibly with cataloged cabinet cards (Old Judge, etc), the grading card companies don't grade cabinet cards, cdvs, stereographs, etc. While some may disagree with me, I think wishing to apply '1-10' or '1-100' grading systems used on 2001 Inserts to a unique 1865 carte de visite or cabinet card, is silly and shows a misunderstanding of vintage photography and what it's about.