NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

There's a story, who knows if it's true, about Orr. He was 14 maybe even younger I think and Boston sends someone to scout him. The scout comes back, and tells management, he could play in the NHL. Management is exasperated, tells the scout we already knew that, give us some useful information. The scout replies, you don't understand, I mean right now.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-15-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There's a story, who knows if it's true, about Orr. He was 14 maybe even younger I think and Boston sends someone to scout him. The scout comes back, and tells management, he could play in the NHL. Management is exasperated, tells the scout we already knew that, give us some useful information. The scout replies, you don't understand, I mean right now.
LOL, very well could be true as Orr was that good.

At 14, Bobby Orr came to Oshawa and likely this is when my Father/us seen him?

My Dad remembers Orr playing road hockey out in front of our place here in Oshawa when I was just a wee lad. Unfortunately, my Father never got an autograph but being in the Bruins farm city at the time, seeing great upcoming players, wasn't that unusual.
http://oshawagenerals.com/bobby-orr

The hockey world will forever remember him as No. 4, but when the remarkable career of Robert Gordon “Bobby” Orr began, it the Parry Sound native wore No. 2 for the Oshawa Generals.

Orr first came to Oshawa as a 14-year-old phenom for the 1962-63 season and starred with the Generals for four years, helping the Generals capture the OHL Championship in 1966.

His explosive offensive style made him and instant sensation in Oshawa and he went on to a glorious National Hockey League career with the Boston Bruins, becoming one of the greatest defensemen in hockey history. In four seasons as a General, he complied 278 points in 194 games while playing most of that time against players several years older.

The only defenseman in NHL history to win the Art Ross Trophy as scoring champion (he did it twice), Orr won eight consecutive Norris Trophies as the NHL’s best defenseman and amassed 915 points in just 657 NHL regular season games. He still holds the NHL records for most points by a defenseman in a season (139), most assists by a defenseman (102) and best plus/minus of any position player (+124).

He was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1979 after the mandatory three-year wait period was waved, and become the youngest player ever inducted at the age of 31. Despite numerous knee injuries, he is still considered the greatest defenseman in NHL history and was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1979.

On November 27, 2008, in front of an over-flow crowd of 6,253 fans, the always humble Orr finally agreed to allow Oshawa hockey fanes to pay tribute to a player that changed the game forever, and will certainly never be forgotten.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:16 AM
Murr the Blurr

Nice post, Irv. One other thing that most fans don't remember: Orr debuted in the NHL wearing No. 27.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

I never tire of the Orr v Gretzky debates, meaningless as the ultimately are.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
Nice post, Irv. One other thing that most fans don't remember: Orr debuted in the NHL wearing No. 27.
I did not know that either. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I never tire of the Orr v Gretzky debates, meaningless as the ultimately are.
2 different players, imo, but both equally talented in their respective positions.
If Orr was protected like Gretzky was, I am sure his numbers and his career would have been much higher and longer.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Al Wright

Irv,

Enjoyed very much reading your Bobby Orr posts. I wonder how many people down here in the US realize that these kids in Canada leave home at the young age they do to play Major Junior. That's what it means to be a national pastime. On my bucket list is a trans Canada trip via rail to catch as many games as possible in a two week period or so of the WHL and OHL. Might try my hand at the QMJHL also, but my French is non-existent. Some day I hope.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

I was too small when Lindros playing for Oshawa. I have always wanted to see his Oshawa games and I even contacted the Generals to see if they had any in their archives, but nope, nothing.
Like I mentioned, I never missed a game, including his home opener/debut.
Like this vid, there are many you can watch via youtube. Just scroll down the right side and you will see for yourself. Likely not all that you are after, but still some pretty good clips there. I regret never saving any of my tickets. Not that they are likely worth anything, I just wish I had some, especially his home opener/debut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W4YfbXkzWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
Irv,

Enjoyed very much reading your Bobby Orr posts. I wonder how many people down here in the US realize that these kids in Canada leave home at the young age they do to play Major Junior. That's what it means to be a national pastime. On my bucket list is a trans Canada trip via rail to catch as many games as possible in a two week period or so of the WHL and OHL. Might try my hand at the QMJHL also, but my French is non-existent. Some day I hope.
My Boss's brother, from Stirling Ont, (not far from Cobourg/Belleville) was drafted by the Soo St. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL but didn't go because of the huge change/undertaking that was involved with such a move.
It entails not only moving far far away from home, but also living with billets, going to a new school, making new friends, etc, etc.
It is not an easy thing to do for a 15-16 yr old let alone an adult, but that's what takes if you want to continue on with the NHL dream.

I currently work with John Goodwin. He was the OHL scoring leader for the Soo Greyhounds and was drafted by the Montreal CDN's. Despite his scoring prowess/skill, he never did crack their lineup and eventually, after trying a few other different avenues, packed it in, unfortunately.
http://www.saultstar.com/2013/03/07/...1980-81-season

I also have a friend, Brian Heard, who's son, Mitch was drafted 41st overall but hasn't played in one NHL game yet.
It is tough! From the early days at the rink at a very young age, to numerous amounts of travel, practices, camps, tournaments, etc, etc and to be never called up or make the big team, is a huge disappointment, but most adults/kids know this is a possibility but in order to live their dream, this is what it takes.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=122869

(Some miscellaneous pics of my son below and some other pics of my son with Bryan Bickell with the Stanley Cup he won with the Chicago Blackhawks and a couple others with Andrew Shaw formerly from the Hawks but now with Montreal. He actually got to play a game of shinny with Andrew! )

Your bucket list item sounds like a great one, 58 Pinson! Something I wouldn't mind doing myself someday.
I have traveled far and wide with my son's hockey but we have never been to Quebec to play. I speak about as much French as you but I still think that would be fun.
He is now only playing house league and High School hockey so my travelling days are likely far behind me, but despite how busy it was, it was also a lot of fun.

Glad you enjoy my Orr story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0820 (Large).jpg (69.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1112a (Medium).JPG (63.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Walker's Rep A Hockey pic (Large).jpg (63.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg V__1CDB.jpg (52.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1140.jpg (72.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1142.jpg (74.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0900 (Large).JPG (64.9 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by irv; 06-17-2017 at 04:03 PM.