NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Mike

Default When have Bazooka, Milk Duds, Nabisco been cut up?

hi there - I've picked up some nice high-end hand cuts, for instance a few Bazooka PSA 9 panels; some individual card Milk Dud and Nabisco PSA 8s and 9s, etc. Also, of course there are the Post and Jello issues.

My question is less about how they are cut up, but rather when. Were these mostly cut up at some point in the past, say, the 1970s or 1980s, by professionals? Are there still boxes being cut into panels and singles today?

I'm guessing this has been the topic of a thread some time before - any ideas?
Old 11-12-2017, 12:19 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

They are definitely still being cut up today, when you can find them in box form or panel form. High Grade PSA cards are normally worth much more than the panels, so it's a money-making proposition for the most part. Since they are intended to be hand-cut, PSA doesn't mind if they are cut by high-precision slicers or scissors, but the cleaner the cut and closer to the outside of the black line/dotted borders the better.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I like them not cut from the box
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duds 001.jpg (75.1 KB, 416 views)
Old 11-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Chris

It's one of the disgusting byproducts of the graded card market. People have chopped up Transogram boxes like crazy to stick a card in a stupid holder. There is only a finite supply and it's so disappointing and short sighted. I'm all for trimming a rough cut but leave a full box intact please.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:43 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
It's one of the disgusting byproducts of the graded card market. People have chopped up Transogram boxes like crazy to stick a card in a stupid holder. There is only a finite supply and it's so disappointing and short sighted. I'm all for trimming a rough cut but leave a full box intact please.
I don't like idea of breaking up boxes for singles, either. Have a few nice milk duds and bazooka full boxes as well.

Mainly I was just trying to understand timing; sounds like there are hoards of boxes still extant getting sliced up by people today for PSA singles. I guess in that sense, it's somewhat like cutting up sheets or opening sealed wax packs, for the chance to get a high-grade single.

Regarding the other comment about panels and singles, I would have thought full panels (when PSA'd) are more rare and worth more than individuals, e.g., a PSA 9 panel with Mays plus 2 other guys, vs. just a PSA 9 of a single Mays.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:11 AM
Chris

Hi Mike,

Hope you didn't take my grumpy rant as directed at you. The reason I think people are cutting up panels is that, while the panel itself might not be in the best condition (grading a one or so because of a card or two), you usually have a shot of getting a high grade card out of the middle of the panel. And, for some reason, a PSA 9 single brings more than a PSA 1 panel. I'd always rather have the panels.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:18 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Hi Mike,

Hope you didn't take my grumpy rant as directed at you. The reason I think people are cutting up panels is that, while the panel itself might not be in the best condition (grading a one or so because of a card or two), you usually have a shot of getting a high grade card out of the middle of the panel. And, for some reason, a PSA 9 single brings more than a PSA 1 panel. I'd always rather have the panels.

Totally agree - I've been focusing on panels/boxes more than singles lately. I had started with singles, but like the panels and boxes more.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I like the Bazooka's in panels myself. Really, if something has survived this long in original form, why desecrate it?!

Last edited by toppcat; 11-14-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM

I apparently take a different view than most comments here, and in response to the various references to "original form", the fact is that they were meant to be cut out and separated by the original owner. To me, keeping them in panel form is actually sort of an odd happenstance of the hobby. Logically it would seem to make most sense to either preserve the whole box in tact, or cut into singles the way they were meant to be used, as individual cards. However, I recognize the charm of the panel and will collect them both ways.

I would point out though that PSA carries much of the blame for the concern in this thread, for its insistence in making the singles and panels as separate items in a master set. I have always felt a more sensible decision would be to treat it as an either/or, as in either you own the panel or you own the single and both could count as possessing the item, but since the set requires both "versions" as distinct items, they are forcing a demand to keep up a supply of singles as well as panels.

(you might guess my contempt for even referring to them as "versions", since they aren't different versions of a card, it's the same f-ing card, just because a panel has it still attached to its neighbor doesn't make it a different issue, and to me the master set should be all the different issues of a player, not every conceivable manner it which the same issue may have been preserved)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
I apparently take a different view than most comments here, and in response to the various references to "original form", the fact is that they were meant to be cut out and separated by the original owner. To me, keeping them in panel form is actually sort of an odd happenstance of the hobby. Logically it would seem to make most sense to either preserve the whole box in tact, or cut into singles the way they were meant to be used, as individual cards. However, I recognize the charm of the panel and will collect them both ways.

I would point out though that PSA carries much of the blame for the concern in this thread, for its insistence in making the singles and panels as separate items in a master set. I have always felt a more sensible decision would be to treat it as an either/or, as in either you own the panel or you own the single and both could count as possessing the item, but since the set requires both "versions" as distinct items, they are forcing a demand to keep up a supply of singles as well as panels.

(you might guess my contempt for even referring to them as "versions", since they aren't different versions of a card, it's the same f-ing card, just because a panel has it still attached to its neighbor doesn't make it a different issue, and to me the master set should be all the different issues of a player, not every conceivable manner it which the same issue may have been preserved)

I agree that graded cards and registries cause strange behavior. For the most part, if I have a panel (say, a 1965 Clemente, Veale, etc.) then I don't bother with the single. Of all, I do like the boxes most, then panels, then individual cards.

the thing that drives me most nuts is the black dotted line rule, at least in terms of how so many earlier hand cuts get graded A, even though they are well cut (especially 1959 Bazookas and Jellos). Someone, at some point, figured out not to cut the black dots, it seems like after 1959 or 1963 (jello)

Last edited by MCoxon; 11-14-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Bazooka cards vs panels

I have to think the panels are much rarer and therefore much more valuable. Unfortunately PSA does not give SMR pricing for the panels. If a bazooka Mantle single is selling or $1000 or more (which they are) what is the much rare panel worth ?? 2x ? 3X or more ??

I am personally chasing a complete bazooka 1960-71 panel set which you can see here https://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/composite/14552

PSA included "panels" from 1968 which I wish they hadn't done but it is what it is. Will anyone ever have this complete graded set ??
Old 11-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Hi guys ..... I love the Bazooka boxes ..... it my mind , at same grade , boxes sells at higher price than panels , and panels more than singles. Always looking to trade. Steve
Old 11-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Boxes boxes boxes

That PSA has "motivated" people to cut these up, bothers me sooooo much. I have been an avid collector of complete bazooka boxes for some time now. I have owned complete sets of boxes from 1963, 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1971.

A 1960 box with Clemente is the white whale on my want list currently. I am also looking for other boxes from 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1964 and 1965. Have some to trade if any one has what I need.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:25 AM

I'm 100% on board with Mike. PSA master set requirements that you have 3 of the same card , i.e. box, panel and single are ridiculous. The option should be to have the ard in any one of those forms. I personally collect in panel form when they are available like 1960 - 71 Bazooka, 1975-79 Hostess, 1986-88 Drakes, but that should be my choice.

To me the ultimate has to what's being added to the Master sets like match book covers and those pics from the side panels of trans-o-gram boxes. THOSE ARE NOT CARDS, THE CARDS ARE ON THE BACK !
Old 12-24-2017, 06:30 PM

No doubt about it, Phil. The adding of some of these very questionable items as "cards" to the PSA Master Set Registry (just to gain points, and pad one's set rating) is so much of a stretch, it's way outside the range of Willie "Stretch" McCovey, and that's saying something. --- Brian Powell
Old 12-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Howard Chasser

Default SO much to say on this topic......

Firstly - before PSA registry started - boxes panels and singles were priced commensurately - a box was more than a panel and a panel more than a single. I agree with prior posts regarding it being more logical/reasonable to need any 1 (single ,panel or box) to fill a single slot in the registry with a scaled point total (highest of which would belong to the box) - this however is a conflict of interest for PSA - think about all the additional grading fees they get for each item that is added to a set?! Business often wins out over reason. That all said, in many cases the boxes are part of many registry sets now, but the scarcity/price of the boxes (often not graded as high as a panel or single from it might) has not been recognized by the marketplace yet (imho) - this is slowly changing. I have never and can't see myself ever cutting a box to get a panel (value propositions previously mentioned notwithstanding). I haven't, but could see myself cutting a panel to get a single of greater value (it's been cut once already). I also have and have less of an issue cutting uncut sheets (I used to feel differently about them). Everyone collects their own way I suppose. That's my 2 cents. Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Jeff

Thank God PSA came along and told us how to collect.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-30-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:24 PM

Well said HRBAKER. Collect what appeals to you.