NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Eric Perry

Default PayPal Friends & Family Payment Fees!!!

Haven't seen this discussed before, so thought I would share.

I just made a PayPal F&F payment with my credit card. Low and behold, they charged me a fee. For those who may be wondering, it was 4.4%. I imagine this percentage will vary, depending upon the amount.

Seems like PayPal (eBay) found a way to collect fees from transactions that weren't really people sending funds to, "friends and family."

Not trying to judge, one way or another. Just sharing news that was (to me, anyway) interesting.

Thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default PayPal Friends & Family Payment Fees!!!

If you pay with credit card, someone is paying a fee. PayPal certainly isn't picking up that tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by t206hound; 03-28-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Mike P.ap

Default No change

They always have charged a fee if you use your credit card even on f/f. No one rides for free I guess!

Mike
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Mike

Default Depends on payment type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Haven't seen this discussed before, so thought I would share.

I just made a PayPal F&F payment with my credit card. Low and behold, they charged me a fee. For those who may be wondering, it was 4.4%. I imagine this percentage will vary, depending upon the amount.

Seems like PayPal (eBay) found a way to collect fees from transactions that weren't really people sending funds to, "friends and family."

Not trying to judge, one way or another. Just sharing news that was (to me, anyway) interesting.

Thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

Best regards,

Eric
PP F&F is "fee-free" only with PP balance or Bank Transfer. Covering with credit card is subject to fees, and has been for a while (not sure how long).

--
Mike
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM

I have only been able to do F&F payments when I've had cash in my account.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Agree with posts 3 and 4
Old 03-28-2015, 07:04 PM

The surprising thing, to me anyways, is they charged 4.4%. I thought it was a standard 2.9% or something closer to 3%.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:11 PM
John Wondowski

I guess they are tired of being defrauded by people trying to circumvent paying paypal for its service. I'm surprised it took this long if it is a policy change.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
The surprising thing, to me anyways, is they charged 4.4%. I thought it was a standard 2.9% or something closer to 3%.
I think that 4.4% rate is for an international transaction, while domestic transactions with buyer an seller both in the US is 2.9%.

Not positive but I think that's what I have found....
Old 03-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Ronald Goldberg

I believe the fee is 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction.

No offense to Eric, but if you buy a $20 baseball card using your credit card thru Paypal, then the 30 cent charge amounts to 1.5% by itself.

Which begs the question, if you do not have $20 available in your checking account, should you be spending money on baseball cards?

Hopefully, you are using a credit card that will give you a 1% rebate of 20 cents.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Robert Klevens

Sending money – Personal payments:

It's free within the U.S. to send money to family and friends when you use only your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card. The fee in the U.S. is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you send. For example, if you send $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30). For personal payments, the sender can pay the fee or pass it on to the recipient. If the recipient doesn't want to pay the fee, they can choose not to accept the payment.

Receiving money – Personal payments:

It's free to receive money from friends or family in the U.S. when they send the money from the PayPal website using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

If you receive a personal payment made from a debit card or credit card, the sender has the option to pay the fee or pass it on to you. If you don't want to pay the fee, you can choose not to accept the payment.

If the fee is passed to you, it is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive. For example, if you are sent $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30).

Last edited by prestigecollectibles; 03-28-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: updated
Old 03-29-2015, 04:22 AM
Lonnie Nagel

So back in the "Good Ole Days" - Paypal would pay you to leave cash on deposit in your PP account.....
Old 03-29-2015, 06:30 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I think that 4.4% rate is for an international transaction, while domestic transactions with buyer an seller both in the US is 2.9%.

Not positive but I think that's what I have found....
I recently on Ebay had a international buyer(Venezuella) but had the item sent to a Florida address. (buyer= vadvintage)
Be Warn- the paypal is not linked to a U.S. address and will be chraged international fees... which i found out it was 3.9% + .30 trans
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info, guys.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
So back in the "Good Ole Days" - Paypal would pay you to leave cash on deposit in your PP account.....

Yup, they called it a money market account. I think it even got up to 3-4% at one time..........Then at some point banks decided they didn't want to pay interest (or didn't need to) to hold money anymore.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGold View Post
I believe the fee is 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction.

No offense to Eric, but if you buy a $20 baseball card using your credit card thru Paypal, then the 30 cent charge amounts to 1.5% by itself.

Which begs the question, if you do not have $20 available in your checking account, should you be spending money on baseball cards?

Hopefully, you are using a credit card that will give you a 1% rebate of 20 cents.
Nobody talks dollars and sense like RGold.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If they were really my payPAL they wouldn't charge a fee
Old 03-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Kev1n @1les

I am thankful for these fees. I established a nice rapport with a seller and took a deal off EBay. He sold me the lot and I paid F&F. The shipment was very slow and I thought that I was scammed. He offered to refund the money until the cards arrived.

Later that same day (2 weeks later), the cards arrived. I felt terrible that I thought he had scammed me. The refund he sent was as an echeck and was going to take 5 days to clear. There was no way to cancel the refund. I attempted to send him another friends and family payment. For some reason, it sent as an Echeck. He asked if I could try to send as an instant transfer and he would cancel the echeck. Again, feeling bad that I had overreacted and had cards in hand. I happily did this. To my surprise (despite having ample funds in my direct transfer checking account), it pulled from my credit card and charged me a 2.9% fee.

Alas, the refund did not clear after two weeks and two attempts. PayPal cancelled it. The seller went radio silent. I was out $985. Because I had paid the fee (even though I was trying to send F&F) I was able to put in a dispute claim to PayPal. If that didn't go well I would file a dispute with the cc issuer.

After PayPal made 3 attempts to reach the seller to no avail, the informed me today that my account would be refunded. It would take up to 5 days and I have already had two refunds denied due to seller insufficient funds but, at least I was able to get it resolved. I think I am out of the friends and family business. That 2.9% saved my behind even though I was trying to give it away. I will have to start assuming the worst in deals. The safeguards are there for a reason. In this case they protected me from myself.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 03-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I did not quite follow that sequence Kevin; probably because I don't know what an e-check is. That said, I do not use FF for transactions and ask people not to use it with me. It doesn't sit well with me to cheat a service provider out of fees for a service. Then there is the protection of using the regular service. It has saved me money several times over when in the past I would have been SOL. You just never know when a deal will go south on you. I Also noticed that if I use FF I can't use PayPal shipping but with regular I can and that saves me money over USPS direct or having to buy a postage account.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

It's all about Venmo these days. Last weekend I was talking to the founder in a bar in Brooklyn, he's only in his early 30's and worth millions... I need to start coding. Think of all the Honus Wagner's I could hoard.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
It's all about Venmo these days. Last weekend I was talking to the founder in a bar in Brooklyn, he's only in his early 30's and worth millions... I need to start coding. Think of all the Honus Wagner's I could hoard.
I had never heard of Venmo until reading this post. How does it compare with PayPal?