NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Doggies - 1910 Perfection Foods Premium

Always like to see the doggies. This blank back paper, approximately 10" x 14 1/2" dog food premium, is a new one to my site though not my collection...(or office )

Love the doggies especially with baseball influence.

This blurb is taken from the LOTG site, though this is not the one that was sold there. Mine isn't quite as nice.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/191...-lot10032.aspx

One of our favorite items in the entire auction, a 14 1/2" x 10" lithographic premium courtesy of the Perfection Foods Company of Battle Creek, Michigan, entitled "Two To Win - One To Tie." The piece depicts dogs playinig baseball, watched by a grandstand filled with canine spectators engaging in typical human behavior - smoking cigarettes and cigars, fanning themselves, waving their hats, and yelling at the players on the field. The piece was originally created by the artist Cassius Marcellus Coolidge, who is probably better-known for his "dogs playing poker" paintings. The original was one of sixteen oil paintings createdby Coolidge for Brown & Bigelow featuring dogs in a variety of human situations (including testifying in court, ballroom dancing, a Masonic initiation, and camping."

The Brown & Bigelow copyright is printed at the bottom-right of the piece, underneath the Perfection Foods advertising information. The piece itself is in VG/EX condition with mild age-related wear that does not disrupt the outstanding display quality of the piece.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:45 PM

I didn't realize they allowed dogs at the ballpark back then.

Extra cool piece...the dogs are really into watching the game. Heck, the overflow crowd is even on the grandstand roof!

Brian
Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Todd Schultz

Very nice--probably a favorite of Buck Barker.

I notice there are no vendors in the picture. Probably a very slow day, unless they were calling them frankfurters.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yeap, no hot dogs for sale to doggies.
Another doggie card (this a postcard), this one a postcard, also from LOTG. They seem to be the doggie card auction house. I Like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Very nice--probably a favorite of Buck Barker.

I notice there are no vendors in the picture. Probably a very slow day, unless they were calling them frankfurters.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Both these you posted seem to have the same source, or one was a copy of the other. The dogs in the crowd are the same, wearing the same things and have the same things around them... hat in the air, umbrellas between them. But at a different angle or "picture taken at a different time" type of look.

Last edited by Tripredacus; 09-17-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Doggie at the plate in first picture has an open stance and its front paws apart - telegraphing a bunt. Don't they teach them anything at training school?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

If Barry knew what he was missing, I bet he'd come right back.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:23 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Yes, Peter
Old 09-17-2019, 01:15 PM
Todd Schultz

Honestly, I find these postcards to be, well, fetching.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:16 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Maybe they ran out of cats-up?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.