NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Anson

Default Andrew Luck retirement

As one of my favorite players, tonight's news was shocking and disappointing. I partially blame the colts leadership for not protecting him all of those years. It's a sad day.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Wow - this is horrible!

I don't follow football much, but from what I've heard in the past, Peyton Manning started having neck issues and then the Colts organization decided to go a different route by drafting Andrew Luck. Manning ended up going to the Broncos where he took them to the Superbowl twice (won the last one) and look what ended up happening with Luck. It's like a curse, isn't it?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM
je.sse @rnot

I think that Broncos ring had more to do with their defense than Manning, but this really is a shame for Luck and Colts fans. It is admirable that he was able to walk away from the kind of money he's leaving on the table.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

It looks like the Colts did one thing right, they are letting him keep any bonuses they paid, signing and roster bonuses around $12M, they could have demanded he pay it back.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Not a Colts fan but have always liked Luck but they should have required him to repay the $24,000,000 he was advanced. The money then should be given to the fans who purchased tickets to see a superstar quarterback instead of an unproven backup, especially with only a week to go before the season starts. Fans screwed again.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

Fans don't get partial or full refunds when stars get injured or sit out a game. At least not that I'm aware of. No reason to expect one when a star retires.

Although it's a very nice gesture I believe Irsay is making a 24m bet that Luck will want to come back in a year or two.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
Not a Colts fan but have always liked Luck but they should have required him to repay the $24,000,000 he was advanced. The money then should be given to the fans who purchased tickets to see a superstar quarterback instead of an unproven backup, especially with only a week to go before the season starts. Fans screwed again.

It's legacy money at this point. Hoping to keep him in the fold in one way or another.

You can bet if it was a lowly RB with a limited history with the team, that Irsay would be clutching back that money as soon as possible.

If Irsay wants to refund fans himself, he's more then capable of doing so.

I also don't understand the "how dare he one week before the season starts" mentality I keep seeing all over the place.

Dude was hurt. He wasn't going to be playing opening day, with a good chance he might have been forced to sit the season out anyways. Brissett had been taking the 1st team snaps all preseason.

Did fans get a refund for the entire 2017 season that he missed?

This guy took a beating, and if anybody cares to check out his college highlights, his playing style indicates he's been taking a beating for a lot longer then just his NFL career.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:02 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of ex-players that wish they had done the same thing.

Last edited by packs; 08-28-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of ex-players that wish they had done the same thing.
This was my first reaction, and the guy I thought about was Junior Seau.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:10 AM

Gronkowski was in tears while he described "losing the joy" of playing football. You can tell these decisions aren't made lightly.

Last edited by packs; 08-29-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Gronk

Gronk is healthy now because of his use of CBD products.

As far as Luck, I admire him for having the courage and good sense to quit.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think he had a difficult time, and did very well despite that.

Imagine starting your career hearing how you aren't Payton Manning.
Then getting going really well despite that, getting hurt and coming back to teams that just weren't quite good enough.