NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-07-2022, 10:50 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Random Topps questions...

I'll try to make a long story short, but in essence - since recently deciding I wanted to find a cheaper vintage project, and landing on going after the '62 Green Tints and regular variations in the 2nd series again - some of this led me to doing some research on those, the Topps "contract printers" (Zabel and possibly Stecher-Traung of Rochester, NY for the '62 Greenies...) and well next thing I knew I was just down a rabbit hole of other Topps questions. Can anyone (Dave H. maybe?) answer any of the following random questions?

*From what I can gather, Topps closed up the production shop in Brooklyn in 1965, moved to Duryea, PA - and then first made cards there in 1966. Is this correct? I know from other posts and videos for sure that at least '67 Topps cards were made in Duryea, but for some reason they didn't get around to changing the address on Topps baseball wrappers until the 1970 packs came out. Any clue why this was? Did Topps perhaps maintain an official front office in the old space in Brooklyn until then and not fully move everything over until 1970? Or were they just slow to change the wrapper address?

*Back to the "overstock printer" issues from and Zabel and others: I'm assuming the answer here is no, but is there a way to tell a "Brooklyn" or "Duryea" card today vs. one that perhaps Zabel made in Philadelphia, or some other printer made somewhere else? Assuming also that the overflow printers just made the sheets and then either shipped them back to Topps in Brooklyn or later Duryea to cut them?

The whole process of this kind of stuff and the questions it evokes fascinates me. If only some of these cards could talk...

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-07-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:29 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I'll give it the ol' college try...

Stecher-Traung may not be the correct firm as it turns out for 1962, Other possibilities are here but my understanding is the second series "do over" run was from upstate NY. Great Lakes Press may have been the printer for these. S-T apparently printed some of the 1952's though! http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2019...hographic.html

Duryea was up and running by Feb. 1966 and the baseball cards that year seem to be the first thing they produced. They started showing Duryea on some, but not all products in mid-1969. Not sure when that ended, if it ever did but most non-confectionary products for a long time were shown with Brooklyn as mfgr (I suspect for non-card items like toys and pins). There may have been tax implications with Brooklyn vs. Duryea but not 100% sure.

Topps did not print cards in Brooklyn after Duryea opened but they did keep their executive offices there until those moved to Manhattan around 1994 or so. They had around 125 people in Brooklyn still after the Duryea move, many of them executives. What moved to Duryea was production.

Some Zabel printing info exists but not much. Hard to tell what was printed where otherwise and don't forget, card backs were printed first then sent to the printer that was doing the fronts. After that the sheets were sent to Topps for cutting and packing.

The whole process was very convoluted and if you factor in design, testing, proofing, etc, it's almost dizzying. But definitely interesting!

Last edited by toppcat; 09-07-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:51 PM
J0hn Collin$

Thanks Dave. Very interesting indeed. I had known the answers to some of these before but just couldn't recall. I have since seen where a Topps Comic Cover Stickers wrapper from 1969 says Duryea, as well as later series baseball wrappers - some say "B'KLYN" and some say Duryea. Thanks for the heads up too about the alternate manufacturer possibility for the green tints. I know it doesn't matter, but it just adds to the intrigue I guess to know.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I'll give it the ol' college try...

.... and don't forget, card backs were printed first then sent to the printer that was doing the fronts. After that the sheets were sent to Topps for cutting and packing.

The whole process was very convoluted and if you factor in design, testing, proofing, etc, it's almost dizzying. But definitely interesting!
I am surprised more wrong back cards don't pop up. Good info