NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 PM

Default WSSCA card show in Seattle (Shoreline) this weekend

The Washington State Sports Collectors Association (WSSCA) Summer Convention will be held Saturday June 1st and Sunday June 2nd.

There will be 43 tables. A list of dealers and other show information is available on the WSSCA web site: www.wssca.net

The show again will be held at Meridian Park Elementary School in Shoreline, WA. The School's address is 17077 Meridian Ave. N, Shoreline, WA (about 10 minutes north of downtown Seattle). Show hours are 9-5 on Saturday, and 9-3 on Sunday. This is our 41st annual Summer Show.

There will be dealers with Pre-war cards, including Mark Macrae and Keith Schneider. Matt Sears, Rob Adesso and I will have a table of pre-war as well. Hope to see some Net 54ers at the show,

Andrew
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

will try to make it!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 AM
Mike Blai$dell

I'll be there as well!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Robert A

Jeff,

You moved here then?

Rob
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Bryan M1ll3r

I'll also be attending. Net54 members should wear some self-identifying pieces of flare or those dorky "Hi my name is" stickers.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 AM

I will definitely be there - always a good show.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM

I wish this would have been posted a couple weeks ago, flights too expensive now to get out there.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Me = dorky

I will be there, with Dlfallen who posted above but wouldn't admit to his burden.

I think there are stereotype jokes about how to identify card collectors...how does a N54 collector stand out differently among that crowd

See y'all there!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Jeff,

You moved here then?

Rob

Yep, living in Queen Anne! Let's grab a beer sometime.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Default Wssca

We will be there. stop by and say hello. digging through the magic closet, will try to bring a new assortment of goodies!

Keith Schneider & Liz Cormier
Gasoline Alley Antiques

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com

This weekend the Washington State Sports Collectors Association is having its 42nd Annual show. Vintage sports cards and memorabilia from the past century. click the link for all the details.

http://www.wssca.net/calendar.htm
Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Luke Lyon

I'll be there as well. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Robert A

Hey guys,

Bring some cards to trade if ya like.

Rob
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

will trade cards for a ride home
Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Mike Blai$dell

Words alone cannot describe that magic closet! I hope there is some football in there.... See you all this weekend. -Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithlyt View Post
We will be there. stop by and say hello. digging through the magic closet, will try to bring a new assortment of goodies!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Rich Klein

Default Wow a post from Mike B

WHen I was at Beckett, we regarded Mike as a one of the leading FB Card expertns in the country --- good to see him posting

Rich
Old 05-31-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Wow: 41st annual show!

Looking forward to finding something special at the 41st annual WSSCA show.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Mark Macrae

Sorry for the late reply guys. I've been raiding basements and fighting rabid raccoons all week.....and that's just at the 'hotel'....Magic closet has been reorganized. All of the pre-1900 U.W. stuff has been successfully eradicated. There was a bunch of uncut sheets of popcorn cards, but nobody collects those anymore, so Keith & I cut them down into placemat sizes........Will look forward to seeing the regulars tonight and this weekend....If I'm not mistaken it's Rob's turn to buy dinner and drinks on Saturday...Lobster and Dom Perignon for all....
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Will shoot for late morning on Saturday... looking forward to this one
Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Robert A

Hope you like corn dogs and Pabst Mark...

Last edited by caramelcard; 05-31-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 PM
pariah1107

A last minute reprieve. Won't be able to stay for the lobster and champagne but will be there early Saturday. I'm 6'5" and will be in a green Red Sox jersey. See many tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Fun show. Bonus points for there being a bar a few blocks away too!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 PM

Default The 41st annual WSSCA show was/is a success

Enjoyed my near-4 hours at the 41st annual WSSCA show. If you are near north Seattle/Shoreline, WA on 6/2/13, stop by the show. Lots of PCL stuff (Mark Macrae, Keith Schneider and a sprinkling of others) including more Zeenuts than nuts, for sure.

Mark M. had a LARGE box of mainly baseball-themed postcards and I located one that was shy-of-postcard size and blank-backed. It is some kind of promotional piece for Bill & Ben's GoodYear Tires and the 1929 Texas League Fort Worth Panthers who were managed by Jake Atz (note the reference to "Lets Help Atz and his Cats" at the bottom of card.

Jake Atz appeared in T206 with the White Sox and, while his big league stop was relatively brief, he enjoyed a lengthy minor league career both as a player and skipper. (Hat tip to baseball-reference.com)

Again, if you're in the northwoods of Seattle tomorrow, stop by the 41st WSSCA show and find a gem or two for your own collection! Thanks to all who made this year's show very enjoyable for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img601.jpg (69.3 KB, 175 views)
Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a great looking card Steve. Love that kind of stuff!!

One of these days I might try to make one of those shows.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Don't miss WSSCA in November or else Wait Until Next Year!

Took my own advice and went back for a couple of hours Sunday afternoon. Enjoyed talking shop with a couple of the usual suspects and two "new guys" (to me): Mark Clatterbuck (WSSCA president) and Jeff Engels who had a nice display of his grandfather's late 1920's to mid-1930's collection.

Mark C. is a personable and energetic guy who, I think, will help keep WSSCA improving as a hobby organization. The club always produces a fan and collector friendly atmosphere with a good offering of the old and new, major and (especially) PCL.

Jeff's table featured original photographs (many autographed) from his grandfather's personal collection. His grandfather was John Gordon "Dusty" Rhodes, 8-year American League pitcher for the Yankees, Red Sox and A's. Features included many Burke originals (frequently personalized to "Dusty") with an occasional Van Oeyen and Brace. Jeff has plans for marketing some of his more unique items.

The day ended at Mark Macrae's table where there is always great conversation as well as high quality stuff - both major and (Mark's specialty) PCL material. Yesterday I posted a postcard-size advertising card I picked up from Mark (Jake Atz's 1929 Fort Worth Panthers/Goodyear tires) so here's one I got at another table. It shows an early 1900s view of downtown Seattle ("Looking North up Second Avenue from James Street, Seattle") with a large green OBAK "Mouthpiece Cigarettes" sign at the right/center. The Obak sign is mounted (or painted) on the building right beside the Alaska Building (so noted on the card) where I worked for four years 60-70 years after this card was produced. Note the single trolley and, except for the roadside, little traffic.

Apparently, judging by the picture, Seattle was a sleepy town with a ballclub (the Giants) suitably fitted in the Class B Northwestern League. According to www.baseball-reference.com, the Seattle Giants played their home games at Yesler Way Park - located between 12th and 14th Avenues. Since the postcard shows 2nd Avenue and Yesler Way is south of James St., the old ballyard site should be less than 3/4 of a mile (as the crow flies) from the point this photo was taken.

In any case, all you Northwestern League (circa 1910), Seattle Giants and OBAK enthusiasts, enjoy this postcard.

Finally, Mark Macrae tells me that there are postcards from a number of other cities with the OBAK advertising like this. One sign, in fact, still faintly outlines the side of an Oregon, building. Mark says its "near Voodoo Donuts - the downtown Portland outlet."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img602.jpg (64.7 KB, 141 views)
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Day 2

Second day, same as the first! Awesome!
Great show, a real hometown feel to it!
I'm almost 200 miles away, but would do it again next month (heck , maybe even next week!)
I drove away with many HoFers, thanks mostly to Mark and Rob, but I enjoyed talking to all the dealers and many fellow collectors!

As mentioned above, make the trip...you'll be happy you did!

I'll be scanning and posting in the June pickup threads soon!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Bill Cohon

Fabulous show! Standing ovation to Andrew for all the organizational work.

Thanks to Mark, Keith, and Andrew, and Rob, I acquired seven Obaks, three t206's, and two Zeenuts. That should hold me for a while.

I'm going to try to tame my scanner, so that I can join the fun in the June pick-up section.

It was nice to share hobby talk with other collectors and dealers, and to see all the enthusiasm brought about by this wonderful event.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Bryan M1ll3r

This was my first card show ever and it was a great time. I got to see many cards in person for the first time (e.g., T204, S74, T3, D304). Special thanks to the organizers and Mark and Rob for chatting with me for a while even though I was just window shopping.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Default WSSCA show

great show, great people, great purchases, great sales and GREAT food!

what else could an old man ask for! Thanks to all for another memorable weekend!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Bill Cohon

Hey, Keith, now that we've established I'm a year older than you, I wish you would stop calling yourself an old man.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Max Weder

Would have loved to make it down for the show again, but. Was working out of town. Oh, and the bridge on the I-5 is a little tricky to get across right now

Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
In any case, all you Northwestern League (circa 1910), Seattle Giants and OBAK enthusiasts, enjoy this postcard.
Steve,
Great pickup. I passed on that postcard on Saturday and kicked myself all weekend for it. I'm glad a board member grabbed it.

Yeah, a great show in all. Had some super conversations, picked a few obaks from Mark Macrae and snagged 3 wax boxes from my childhood for ten bucks which my daughter and I have been having a blast opening.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Mark Macrae

Default Congrats & Thanks

Congratulations to the Washington State Sports Collectors Association for another premiere event. This IS the longest running show in the hobby. Although it started in '73 and has grown and shrunk in size (Like some of us), I've only attended it since '88. It was great to see three original members in attendance, Steve Mitchell, Larry Moe and Frank Caruso, 3 OBCers (Rick, Brian and Dave), several Net54 posters , plus the Seattle regulars. Andrew and Mark C did a great job as usual promoting the show and setup seemed to take about 15 minutes with all of the volunteers. Ron did a great job with the food. Enjoyed talking with a few first time attendees, including Bryan (python-man) and thought I spotted Jeff go by my table at a busy time (3 conversations going on at the same time) so we didn't get a chance to talk.... Max, stop being a wussy . Only about 75 feet of bridge collapsed. The rest of it was fine. The jump is shorter than some puddles in Havana. A number of your friends missed seeing you.....About a dozen Canadians made the trek down, and none of them appeared to be affected by the toxic water of the Skagit, although one guy did have a glowing green outfit... Enjoyed the visits and appreciate the purchases, sales, and trades with the regulars. Hanging out with the Blaisdell Bros, Andrew, Jen & Little Zeenut, Stover,among others and Seattle's best hosts (Keith and Liz) makes the week seem like a day....See you all in November...
Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Robert A

I really enjoyed the show. It was good to see some old friends. Also enjoyed talking to some collectors I haven't met before. A lot of nice cards and good conversation. Cookies aren't too bad. Thanks Mark for driving up. Thanks to slackjob. And thanks Keith! Even found a couple T206.

hindu.jpg
hindu2.jpg