NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default What's your set-building strategy?

Posted By: Paul Carek

Recently got back into the hobby, and in addition to a HOF collection, have decided to work on the '52 Bowman set. Just wondering, when you start putting together a new set, what's your approach? Do you knock off the big keys first? Amass commons? Go in numerical order? Would love to hear your thoughts.

For the record, my meager card budget lets me acquire one HOFer and a small batch of commons every month.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Whenever I start a new set, I try to begin with a big burst. I like to pick-up a lot or two that gives me a good sized chunk of the set. If I can pick up 50-75 % of the set in one swoop that seems to give me the push I need to get started.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I now buy the most expensive/toughest cards first, if they are available. Then , the HOF'ers and high numbers. If you assemble Topps sets, the team cards can also be hard to find in some instances and are worth grabbing early in my experience.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fred

i try to pick up a lot with a good amount of cards in it for the set to get started and then i just try to pick up what i can afford when they become available. i try to do my sets on a budget as well and sometimes i buy more then other times depending on the availablitiy of the cards i need. if i pick up a big one or two i'll only look for affordable commons for a while. i'm working on a 55 topps now and have picked up most of the commons and now will work on the couple high #'s i need and then finish the big stars since i'm thinking i'm going to need to save to get to those.
good luck with the set.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Like you, I have a limited budget but like working on Topps vintage sets.

What I tend to do is work in series. I try and complete series one before moving to series two, etc.

That way there's usually only two or three bigger dollar cards per series and I can pick up most of the commons in one grab. It also gives you a sense of accomplishment as each series is checked off.

It seems to make things a bit easier in the long run. I just finished my 1965 and 1967 sets that way. Just started 1964

Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Skoglund

I tend to get as many commons as I can at first. Then knock off the expensive cards as I can. I guess my system is if I can afford when I run across it, I'll buy it.

Oddly, I always assumed that the last card I would end up needing is always an expensive HOF'er, but I'm usually chasing down some common card or checklist for the last card. Although, I suspect that when it comes time to put the 1967 Topps set to bed, the last card I need will be the Red Sox team card.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

I tend to attempt to build sets that are extremely difficult, so it isn't over before it begins so to speak... In the past when I have built a relatively common set and willing to accept EX-EX/MT cards, and I'll classify that as any set where the majority, if not every single card, are available at any given time on eBay or for newer cards can be easily acquired by busting packs, and there is that much access and the only real limitation is funds, it just never felt very rewarding of an experience after I had finished.

Ideas for excellent baseball sets that would require some work from that era that aren't overwhelmingly huge - '55 Doubleheaders, '55-60 Armour coins, 1960's Kahn's, 1960's Bazooka's...

Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TFerg

I've bought lots and then quit, I've done team by team. I'm doing a sets now buying 1-5 commons at a time and the higher dollar stuff when I can get a bargain(which has worked very well so far). Slow and steady works for me, I'm currently doing 3 sets (one started from a lot) and I skip around as opportunity presents itself. Buying lots is great, but it takes some of the "journey" out of it.

Enjoy

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MEWheat

I agree with Jim VB. I try to buy a major lot or lots that put me a ways towards completion. If I don't get far enough along with that purchase I usually wait until I can purchase another complementary lot and then start filling in holes.

There are a number of sets I am working on, but only 4 or so actively. I tend to be an opportunistic buyer, waiting for what I feel are good prices for a lot. Now it seems harder and harder to make this strategy work though....

Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

For the postwar sets I actually want to assemble, I prefer to take my time and find the nicest raw cards I can, usually at large venues like the National, for the best prices I can find. If I only add 50 cards a year, that's fine with me. After all, the fun is the chase not the ownership.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc