NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Joe M.

Default What are these? 52 card set

a 52 card playing card deck A-2 for spades, hearts, clubs, diamonds.

Small size 2 1/4 x 1 5/8 Black & white, looks like 1960-1970's players.
Blank back

Stars Kaline, Rose, Gibson, Mays. etc

others Richie Allen, Al Ferrara, Denny McLain, Cepeda etc

Thanks joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playingcards.jpg (75.4 KB, 151 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Those would be the Globe Imports Playing Card....more here
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Joe M.

Thanks for info. Looks like set was printed with 2 Ace of Clubs Allen and Yaz, don't have the Yaz.

Also 3 Ace of Spades, Mantle, Drysdale and Harrelson. Don't have the Mantle or Drysdale.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Randy Trierweiler

The cards are the same photos as the Nabisco Team Flakes cards from 1969 and the 1968 Sports Illustrated Posters. You could also find these sets in the crane machines from county fairs in the early 1970s.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Alan Elefson

I love this set! I provided the updates to the standard catalog so that it now shows at least two printings. Yes, there are 3 ace of spades cards. There are also sets with red checkered backs. There are also two versions of most cards, one with team logos visible, and another with the logos airbrushed.

Here is a link to my first ever post on Net54 (March of 2005) that contains some additional details.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+Globe+Imports

There is also a nice set of women nudes in the same format and a Babe Ruth (that I think comes from a movie star set).

The Yaz is the only one I never found however a dealer I taught the details of the set to, did find a few and sold them for over 100.00 each. I think it is the hardest to find and most valuable. Most of the time you can find sealed sets (usually with the more common Harrelson variant) for under 10.00 (I once bought 50 of them for less than 2.00 each).

I also believe there are more back variations than plain white and red checkered (I think there might be a blue checkered back verion as well).

Sorry for the long and rambling post. I love this set because of how cheap it is, yet contains cards of multiple stars and hall of famers.

Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson
Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM

It would seem these would be quite easy to counterfeit using just
a good quality copier.

I've got a few of the Cardinals and often wondered if they were real.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Alan Elefson

There are so many available, and the prices are low, so I doubt anyone would fake this set. Most sets come sealed with the original plastic and cardboard backing. Just to be on the safe side, I would not buy a Yaz unless it was in a sealed set (that is how the first few were found).

The other reason it most likely has not been faked is the standard catalog description of the set. I am paraphrasing, but it basically says the cards have muddy images and are generally ignored by all but the most ardent superstar/player collectors.

Alan
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
There are so many available, and the prices are low, so I doubt anyone would fake this set. Most sets come sealed with the original plastic and cardboard backing. Just to be on the safe side, I would not buy a Yaz unless it was in a sealed set (that is how the first few were found).

The other reason it most likely has not been faked is the standard catalog description of the set. I am paraphrasing, but it basically says the cards have muddy images and are generally ignored by all but the most ardent superstar/player collectors.

Alan
There are actually fakes of the Yaz and Mantle out there. Some guy on ebay now is selling a complete set but with fabricated copies of each of those.

I have always wanted a Mantle for my set but have always felt like it was too risky purchasing one.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
I love this set! I provided the updates to the standard catalog so that it now shows at least two printings. Yes, there are 3 ace of spades cards. There are also sets with red checkered backs. There are also two versions of most cards, one with team logos visible, and another with the logos airbrushed.

Here is a link to my first ever post on Net54 (March of 2005) that contains some additional details.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+Globe+Imports

There is also a nice set of women nudes in the same format and a Babe Ruth (that I think comes from a movie star set).

The Yaz is the only one I never found however a dealer I taught the details of the set to, did find a few and sold them for over 100.00 each. I think it is the hardest to find and most valuable. Most of the time you can find sealed sets (usually with the more common Harrelson variant) for under 10.00 (I once bought 50 of them for less than 2.00 each).

I also believe there are more back variations than plain white and red checkered (I think there might be a blue checkered back verion as well).

Sorry for the long and rambling post. I love this set because of how cheap it is, yet contains cards of multiple stars and hall of famers.

Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson
Alan, can you show an example of the checkerboard back? I've seen the listing in SCD, but have never seen an example. Of the 5 Cardinals in the set (Gibson, Brock, Flood, McCarver, Cepeda). I've only seen logo variatons of Cepeda and Flood. Thanks, Randy
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Alan Elefson

That stinks regarding the fakes of the Mantle and Yaz. I found my Mantle in a sealed deck for 10.00 several years ago. I am more surprised by the faking of the Mantle than the Yaz, as the Mantle is relatively common. I used to think the Drysdale was rarer than the Mantle, but I am not sure. My personal review of about 200 sets showed far more Mantles than Drysdales but Harrelson is the easiest Ace of Spades by far.

Randy-
I actually sold my checkerbacked and master set several years ago. The dealer I sold it to never sold the binder, and I recently made contact with him to rebuy the collection (at the same price I sold it for!). I should have it back in a few weeks and I will definitely post scans of the entries master set (except for Yaz who I never found). I cannot remember on the Cardinals cards how many had airbrushed logos but if there is a clear logo on a card, that card will definitely have an airbrushed version.

I am shocked that so few of the red checker backed ones are around. I bet some folks are sitting on sealed sets with the red checker back, but I have examined more than 200 sets and only one had the red checker back. I cannot imagine it is actually as rare as it appears, just no one really cares about this set.

Alan