NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 PM
David Linardy

Default January Pickups

I've been pretty quiet the last few months... Got somewhat bored with the hobby, and decided to take a little time off to figure out which direction I am headed in for 2015...

I'm still not certain! but I came this bat, it immediately brought me back to my childhood and I had to have it!

I grew up in the Massachusetts suburbs and got into the game in the mid 80's.... The Gator was one of my favorites... Played his entire MLB career in Boston, and managed to bat .303 for his career

the bat has some pretty heavy pine tar, and ever so slight crack that you have to look for to see, and the Gators #39 on the knob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11_greenwell_1.jpg (32.4 KB, 814 views)
File Type: jpg 11_greenwell_2.jpg (32.9 KB, 814 views)
File Type: jpg 11_greenwell_3.jpg (27.0 KB, 811 views)
Old 01-01-2015, 09:05 PM
N@te

Tim Raines game used bat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.0 KB, 767 views)

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM
N@te

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.1 KB, 767 views)

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Jeff

Default A Few New Photos

3.11.1939 Charlie Gehringer press photo & 10.8.1935 Mickey Cochrane press photo

2.25.1952 A young Earl Weaver is invited to Spring Training where he is trying to make the team as a 2B

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-02-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Default Two

The box is very clean and I am still looking for a proper glove to go with it and the knife is as clean as they come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornsby Box.jpg (68.3 KB, 717 views)
File Type: jpg All Star Knife.jpg (82.8 KB, 720 views)
Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Mike H.

Holy cow Bob you have picked up two amazing pieces...congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
The box is very clean and I am still looking for a proper glove to go with it and the knife is as clean as they come
Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
holy cow bob you have picked up two amazing pieces...congrats
+100

amazing!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Nice job, Bob! Very cool!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Got this in a trade with Mark Bowers (Andy's dad)...An Awesome piece!! 1956 "Wanted poster" from the year Dick Stuart hit 66 home runs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuart.jpg (72.9 KB, 711 views)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Mikeknapp

Bob, that Hornsby box is unbelievable. Congrats! I stumbled upon my first two pick-ups for the New Year. Hours of searching through trash on eBay still can turn up the occasional gem. The first item is a season ticket holder pass to Three Rivers Stadium for the 1972 season. It is valid for Roberto Clemente’s 3000th hit. For what it’s worth, there have been only four of these graded according to the PSA population report and can be very pricey when they become available for sale. Nonetheless, this pass has proven to be very difficult to find. The second is a full ticket to Game 1 of the 1972 NLCS played between the Bucs and the Reds.

Both of these items were essentially thrown in on an eBay listing advertising an auction for Pittsburgh Pirates Troll Doll. I recognized the pass and immediately made an offer to the seller. Thankfully he accepted my offer and closed the auction. It was a great way to begin the new year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972_Season_Pass.jpg (79.3 KB, 671 views)
File Type: jpg 1972_NLCS_Game_1.jpg (91.2 KB, 667 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Bob, that Hornsby box is unbelievable. Congrats! I stumbled upon my first two pick-ups for the New Year. Hours of searching through trash on eBay still can turn up the occasional gem. The first item is a season ticket holder pass to Three Rivers Stadium for the 1972 season. It is valid for Roberto Clemente’s 3000th hit. For what it’s worth, there have been only four of these graded according to the PSA population report and can be very pricey when they become available for sale. Nonetheless, this pass has proven to be very difficult to find. The second is a full ticket to Game 1 of the 1972 NLCS played between the Bucs and the Reds.

Both of these items were essentially thrown in on an eBay listing advertising an auction for Pittsburgh Pirates Troll Doll. I recognized the pass and immediately made an offer to the seller. Thankfully he accepted my offer and closed the auction. It was a great way to begin the new year.
Nice one, Mike! Way to start off the year on a high note.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Another St. Paul Saints piece They had the best record in the American Association in 1949.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 168841a_lg.jpg (12.3 KB, 541 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Default Mathewson Goldsmith Glove

Great shape too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.2 KB, 518 views)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Bob M

Default 63/64 San Juan Senadores

Acquired a nice 1963/64 San Juan Senadores (27) signed team ball.
They won the Puerto Rico Winter League championship playoffs that season.
Only one HOFer - but one of the best (last pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanjuan1.jpg (59.3 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg sanjuan2.jpg (63.8 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg SanJuan3.jpg (50.8 KB, 509 views)
Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Default Don Larsen and Bobo Holloman major league debut original lineup cards

I recently picked up these 2 original lineup cards to the major league debut game of 1953 no-hit pitcher BoBo Holloman and Don Larsen, who hurled the only World Series perfect game in 1956. These came by way of net54 good guy David Linardy. Thanks David!

These lineup cards are from game one of the doubleheader played on April 18, 1953 @ DET. Interestingly enough, the same game also featured relief appearances from Virgil Trucks (2 no-hitters in 1952) and HOF'er Satchel Paige who is credited with approximately 55 no-hitters in his career. All 4 of these no-hit pitchers appeared in this game for the St. Louis Browns (last year in St. Louis).

To compliment these lineup cards I have 1953 signed team postcards of both Larsen and Bobo Holloman. Ironically, Holloman was sold to Toronto less than 3 months after his no-hitter, never to return to the big leagues again. The back of Holloman's postcard has interesting content thanking the fan for asking about his no-hitter and he mentions the sale to Toronto.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-03-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Great shape too
Nice - is that Mathewson glove a replacement for the other one you had? Actually, I thought you had owned two before this one. Are you a hoarder?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

1st 2015 purchase.

Just BIN'd this from a forum member, via ebay, for my girlfriend who graduated from Stanford. I had to find pics of football players with these wrapped around them, to show her how much SHE had to have it

She is very excited...which is good for me

Old 01-03-2015, 01:39 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I recently picked up these 2 original lineup cards to the major league debut game of 1953 no-hit pitcher BoBo Holloman and Don Larsen, who hurled the only World Series perfect game in 1956. These came by way of net54 good guy David Linardy. Thanks David!

These lineup cards are from game one of the doubleheader played on April 18, 1953 @ DET. Interestingly enough, the same game also featured relief appearances from Virgil Trucks (2 no-hitters in 1952) and HOF'er Satchel Paige who is credited with approximately 55 no-hitters in his career. All 4 of these no-hit pitchers appeared in this game for the St. Louis Browns (last year in St. Louis).
To compliment these lineup cards I have 1953 signed team postcards of both Larsen and Bobo Holloman. Ironically, Holloman was sold to Toronto less than 3 months after his no-hitter, never to return to the big leagues again. The back of Holloman's postcard has interesting content thanking the fan for asking about his no-hitter and he mentions the sale to Toronto.
Scott,you always seem to get real cool stuff.Nice pickup!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Nice - is that Mathewson glove a replacement for the other one you had? Actually, I thought you had owned two before this one. Are you a hoarder?
Scott, I am a bit of a hoarder This one came up and I just couldn't turn it down, but I did sell one before Christmas.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
Scott,you always seem to get real cool stuff.Nice pickup!
Thanks Steve!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
I've been pretty quiet the last few months... Got somewhat bored with the hobby, and decided to take a little time off to figure out which direction I am headed in for 2015...

I'm still not certain! but I came this bat, it immediately brought me back to my childhood and I had to have it!

I grew up in the Massachusetts suburbs and got into the game in the mid 80's.... The Gator was one of my favorites... Played his entire MLB career in Boston, and managed to bat .303 for his career

the bat has some pretty heavy pine tar, and ever so slight crack that you have to look for to see, and the Gators #39 on the knob
Congrats Dave. I had to look up 'Gator' - surprised I never heard him called that, but I'm not much of a Red Sox fan. I mainly remember Greenwell for being a sure-bet HOF'er early in his career - he's a good example of why you can't write in Trout for a while yet. Also remember Greenwell as part of that infamous Topps set that had so many 'sure bet' rookie cards, all of which ended up being fails.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Rob

Quote:
Congrats Dave. I had to look up 'Gator' - surprised I never heard him called that, but I'm not much of a Red Sox fan. I mainly remember Greenwell for being a sure-bet HOF'er early in his career - he's a good example of why you can't write in Trout for a while yet. Also remember Greenwell as part of that infamous Topps set that had so many 'sure bet' rookie cards, all of which ended up being fails.
I, also, had no idea who the Gator was!

Wasn't Guidry known as that also?

Finally, wasn't Greenwell runner up MVP one year to Canseco and there was the talk (like with Braun) of giving him the award? I know my syntax is garbled....it's early!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I know my syntax is garbled....it's early!
just add 'sent by iPhone' to all of your posts and you are covered
Old 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
David Linardy

Quote:
So true Scott! man I loved those wood grain borders!!!

I remember Trading a BJ Surhoff, Will Clark, Bonds, & Eric Davis for Canseco & Mcgwire... Boy, I though I had a great deal!
Old 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Mike H.

I've been after one of these humidors for a long time, and am pleased to be adding this excellent example to my collection ������

Last edited by mjkm90; 01-04-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:48 PM
George

Quote:
I've been after one of these humidors for a long time, and am pleased to be adding this excellent example to my collection ������

Mike, that's an awesome piece!! Can you give us some background on it such as date, composition etc? It's very neat to see the imprint of the American National Game print!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Jeff

Great blanket Scott, I have the navy one.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Mike H.

I'm glad you like it George

These are believed to date from the 1930s. They were made in Italy and this example was sold via Comoy's of London who were well known pipe makers and tobacco distributors (their label is on the bottom) dating back to the 1880s. It's metal with porcelain lining and stands 8" tall. The baseball scene is well executed and only appears on one side. The figural baseball on the lid is a wonderful design feature that is sometimes missing.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Humidor

Quote:

Awesome pick up Mike, great looking piece
Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Great blanket Scott, I have the navy one.

Nice. When my gf asked if it was a good deal, I told her I would pay twice that for a 100-yr old Texas A&M blanket.

I sold this one a couple of years ago - belonged to Ray Morehart ('27 Yanks) when he was at Austin College.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM

Default Bob Feller and Eddie Smith photo 1990

I wanted to thank net54 good guy member Bruce Garland for sending me a neat candid photo that was taken in 1990 of pitchers Bob Feller and Eddie Smith. The two of them were at a show in NJ which paired Feller and opposing starting pitcher in his historic Opening Day no-hitter in 1940 (50th anniversary year of the OD no-no).

Bruce and friends were at the show to help NJ resident Eddie Smith (nickname Gorby). "Gorby" Smith had an interesting career from 1936-1947 (interrupted for 2 years during WWII). In addition to being the LP to Feller's opening day no-hitter, he also gave up the very first hit in Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak in 1941 as well as being the winning pitcher in the 1941 All Star game. Gorby was known as a Yankees killer and amazingly got nearly 2/3 of his ML victories at the hand of the Bronx Bombers.

A very nice gesture indeed from Bruce! I'm happy to add it to my advanced no-hitter collection.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-05-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

1925 OAL baseball

Last edited by Runscott; 01-11-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Jordan Gluck

Very excited to add this University of Denver pennant from the 1920s. I am a student here and will be having my third meeting with the Chancellor to obtain a football program that we haven't had since 1964. It is a shame that it was shut down as we played in the first intercollegiate game west of the Mississippi river in 1885 against Colorado College.
Thank you Keith! from antiquesportsshop.com [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Teamgluck; 01-08-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgluck View Post
Very excited to add this University of Denver pennant from the 1920s. I am a student here and will be having my third meeting with the Chancellor to obtain a football program that we haven't had since 1964. It is a shame that it was shut down as we played in the first intercollegiate game west of the Mississippi river in 1885 against Colorado College.
Thank you Keith! from antiquesportsshop.com [IMG][/IMG]
You've still got some very good Hockey and Lacrosse programs. Good luck with trying to bring back Football.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

This is a Tommy Gibbons ad from a vaudeville tour. It is handmade and one of a kind. I'm guessing it was a point of sale poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gibbons ad.jpg (74.5 KB, 433 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 01-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Awesome pick up Mike, great looking piece
Ditto Mike. Finding that piece in that condition is the key as you well know. Congrats . Adam
Old 01-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Mikeknapp

Default Jimmy Piersall Cleveland Indians MIB Li ttle Pro Bat A Round

I'm already losing my ability to stay focused despite a New Years resolution to do so. I lasted 11 days which is pretty remarkable for me. I placed the opening bid on this item not realizing I would be the only fool to do so. Oh well...I think I got a good deal

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Old 01-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Mike H.

Just picked this honey up off eBay and am SUPER EXCITED 👍🏆💵💰🎉

Old 01-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
1925 OAL baseball
I'm really sad that no one liked my baseball

That's the last time I show any of you guys my balls.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'm already losing my ability to stay focused despite a New Years resolution to do so. I lasted 11 days which is pretty remarkable for me. I placed the opening bid on this item not realizing I would be the only fool to do so. Oh well...I think I got a good deal
Mike - is the Maris photo included?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Mikeknapp

Hi Scott, it wasn't part of the lot but I already had one. I need to upgrade it as mine has a significant crease.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Shale Levine

Looks nice Mike how much did you get it for?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Mike H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
Looks nice Mike how much did you get it for?
Upon further review, I cancelled the deal. The seller noticed a crack after I paid that he didn't see before or include in the description. It is a pretty good sized crack on the outside which is DEATH to china and glassware. I'm bummed because it was a going to be a great deal for $105

Last edited by mjkm90; 01-12-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Joe

Quote:
Upon further review, I cancelled the deal. The seller noticed a crack after I paid that he didn't see before or include in the description. It is a pretty good sized crack on the outside which is DEATH to china and glassware. I'm bummed because it was a going to be a great deal for $105
Sorry to hear that Mike. At least the seller was honest in disclosing that. Others may have hid that and claimed damage during shipping.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Mikeknapp

Member GoCubsGo32 helped me refocus with this Clemente snapshot. Thanks Gary!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Snapshot Clemente.jpg (69.5 KB, 336 views)

Old 01-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Steve Masi

1968 Rose gamer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rosefull.jpg (25.2 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg Rosebarrell.jpg (35.0 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Roseside.jpg (33.4 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Roseknob.jpg (47.3 KB, 328 views)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Sweet snapshot of Clemente! Nice job, Mike & Gary!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Sweet snapshot of Clemente! Nice job, Mike & Gary!
Thanks Scott I was both fortunate and pleased that Gary reached out to me. Steve that Rose gamer is awesome!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Steve Masi

Quote:
Thanks Scott I was both fortunate and pleased that Gary reached out to me. Steve that Rose gamer is awesome!
Thanks Mike. I am super Happy to add it to the collection!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Your welcome! Glad it finally made it to you!