NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default Worst case scenario....get a divorce and wife gets half your collection?

Posted By: Dave

No..I'm not getting a divorce. But was pondering how that would work out. I'm sure some wives are smart enough to realize there is some money there..others arent. That would be a tough pill to swallow.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Worst case scenario....get a divorce and wife gets half your collection?

Posted By: mark

yes the wife gets half of everything, even the family jewels (<:

Old 03-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

well too late now..but I wonder how many guys would be smart enough before getting married to actually have a pre-nup made up concering thier cards?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Oh yea Dave, I'm gonna start pulling my weight around the house... Check item 280089415149, we're scrood!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dave,

If your really worried draft a postmarital agreement dividing your personal property.

Personally, I tell my wife...oh these 200,000 cards their nothing...it's just a hobby.

Peter

Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Peter...

It's just a hypothetical question...I'd be really worried "if" I tried doing that now...that would make for one mean southern gal..

Old 03-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Steve..

Yeah that would be painful to see your set being broke up in "bundles" on ebay ..ouch

Old 03-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I tried to include my wife into my collecting, she looks at me like i am an alien. So.... I put my Square frame Ramly and my E107 Briesch-Williams cards in my safe and she has no idea.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

She does now

Alien? That's mild to what my wife of 32 years thinks of me and this hobby. She refers to you guys as my "geeky cyber buddies".

When I do share her favorite expression is SELL!!!!!!

All kidding aside she's a doll and there is no chance of a divorce in this household.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Not sure what type of law you practice..but have you ever heard of a guy coming up with a pre-nup to protect a card collection?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Administrator

I am sure your wife is great, tell her hi from your "geeky cyber buddies"

To be serious...For guys who think a divorce is near, stash your big $ cards at a good friends house. If she had no idea you had "worthless pieces of cardboard" in collection then you are home free.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

My wife said she would definitely take half of my card collection...the top halves!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Dave:

Postnups are not enforceable here in Illinois. Just give her the house and you can keep the cards.

P.S. I'm a real estate lawyer. I'm listed

Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

ahh..the terrible thoughts that run through a man's mind when he is out of town with work in a hotel room...lol

Old 03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Good lord Steve....give her the house...$250,000...keep my cards...$2,500...if that were the case I'd better get the cards and a couple dancing girls.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

Hope none of your guys wifes frequent the forum or you might have just gave it away and given them some ideas. happy collecting.

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 03-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

The trick to it is to get a Tiffany catalog, and gradually buy them some jewelry... If you can keep the jewelry value even close to the card value, then you should be ok... she'll take the Tiffany stuff, you take the ball cards.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Interesting that this thread is getting nonstop posting. Must be a hidden message in there somewhere.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

...wife gets all of your collection!

Patrick

Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Luckily my wife is extremely supportive of our hobby and while she doesn't understand it a ton, as long as I can make money with it, enjoy it, and not neglect my obligations as a husband and father, she is 100% supportive of it.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

Finally a reason to stoop down and get a few reprints, just don't let your wife know. Tell her where you keep "these" cards and when you come home one day and find out she's moved to her mothers house with your cards, you can relax, crack open a few cold ones, turn on the game and pull your real cards from their secret home. Imagine her surprise when she finds out that the ink is still wet on her collection.

robert shaw

Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think not...

Post-nups aren't enforceable here either, so I figure it would be cheaper and easier to kill her than divorce her.

And what she calls us I cannot print here.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator

the end. Also, come on you can tell us what she calls us. We are grown men and women here, we can take it.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Sobering topic. Perhaps ebaY ID, i_buy_fake_cards, was placing legitimate bids to build a decoy collection.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

My wife has always been supportive, even to the point of making suggestions as to what I should add to my collection. Given all we've been through together and how I feel about her, if it ever came to divorce(which it won't) I'd gladly give her half.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Sean,

You sound like a reasonable person, your in the wrong hobby. Most of us are fanatics.

Peter

Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...of all, we're never getting divorced. She is very supportive of my hobby, often telling me which doubles to sell and what players to go after. But, second of all, since we have two kids and you can't take the cards with you, she and I have an understanding that the kids are getting the cards eventually.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Just told the wife last night where to find the combination for the safes and the safe deposit box key in case anything happens to me. She just shrugged and said, "o.k.." and went back to reading her book. I occasionally show her a new card when it comes in and she knows I have a valuable collection but could really care less. She knows that I want the grown-up kids to go through and pick out some cards they like (to remember their old man's hobby) and select a few for the grandkids, but otherwise she could care less. Most of the collection will end up on ebay I presume although I like one poster's idea of having a slabbed set thrown in to the casket with him We've made it 36 years together so I presume we are o.k. She is just glad I have a hobby to keep me occupied. As long as I show her how the cards are appreciating and sell some from time to time to buy more, she's o.k. with only slightly being in the dark as to the value.
Post-nups are no good here. If you are going to do a pre-nup, you better divulge the value of the collection and not just say, "I've got some baseball cards," that won't cut it.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

What collection?

Oh you mean those thousands of '87 Topps and '88 Donruss, she can have all those and I'll just keep these.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

Darrren - Exactly -- she can even have the 86s and 88 Scores and my football cards, as well

Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: daryle

If I ever get married (not planning on it) my cards become the property of my mom and dad (or brother) so technically they'll still be mine and I'll keep buying and giving them to whoever as a "gift"

Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

How many wives know how much you spend on your "hobby"?

Do any of your wives know what your collection is worth?

Do you have a master listing of all your high dollar cards so that the wife doesn't give it away after you pass on?

When's the last time any of you guys sat down with your wife and told her exactly what this stuff is worth?

Same questions for the women on this board.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

My wife pretty much knows every penny spent in this household, but then again so do I. She might not know the exact pricce of the high value cards but knows which ones they are. She collects autographs as well, has consigned to a major auction house before, so if something ever happened to me she would know what to do.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator

I love my wife...but, what she don't know won't hurt her. That is the reason lately I've asked for paypal payments on all my stuff and try to just send paypal payments as often as possible...she doesn't have access to my paypal and doesn't have a clue what is in there now or what I've spent out of there....If I started writing checks out for cards..then we'd have a problem...lol

Old 03-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator

A wife may be your best friend now, but they are all sisters in my book. Nobody plans on having a divorce but if it does happen she will want half of EVERYTHING!!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Exactly Mark...Like I said I love my wife..and don't see any divorce coming for any reason..but with life things happen and you just never know. A wife getting "half" of everything is an understatement though when she is a stay at home mom and you have little kids...she'd get WELL over half of everything...I think in that case if a man gets out with his cards and underwear consider yourself lucky.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

my wife works 10 hours a day and i take care of 2 kids (6 years old and 7 months old). So i guess it looks good for me. (<:

Old 03-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Worst case, from a cards point of view, isn't divorce.

Worst case would be you come home to find your best cards neatly cut in half, laying on the bed... Some old timer here should recall TCMA and how card cutting by an upset wife has happened before!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Fred,

I use a simple procedure for helping my wife in case I'm no longer around. I tell her that go to an old friend of mine who runs a baseball card store and he will help and evaluate and price the cards for her. Also he will help her to sell the cards if that's what she wants to do.

Peter

Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

since Valentine's Day!!!

what a thread....yikes.
no comment on any of this stuff!!!

other than to say that my plan is, when I am 80, I will just say "Well, that was fun" and then toss them all in a dumpster....