NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Jason Seidl

Default Prices

Why does it seem like many members think that certain ebay sellers and certain auction houses do not reflect the market prices? I have collected for many years (over 30) and it seems to me that today's technology reaches a far greater audience than the old SCD did back in the day. Hence, I think that some of these values are just a result of a market inflecting up a bit (hopefully not too much as I go for the Monster minus the big guys). I would love to know everyone's thoughts.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Sean Costello

The ebay sellers that many of us think are not reflective of current market prices (ie-overpriced) are the ones who buy a card for $1,100, then relist it a month later with a $2,500 BIN.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think many members are concerned about price manipulation (e.g., shilling, etc.) in the market, which results in the the market prices only being artificially manipulated prices. They add the anecdotal evidence where when a card is for sale via an auction or consignment house, the card goes for record prices. However, when you sell that same card yourself (even through an AH), it doesn't come close to those high prices anymore.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Jason Seidl

My main hobby is game worn hockey jerseys and I have seen collectors complain about prices being far too high in auctions for years. But the auctions keep getting the prices. I can remember them complaining online about a lot I won and saying how "stupid" that collector (me) was for paying that much (I must admit I thought about admitting myself for evaluation after I won the lot). Yet I have been offered more than I paid by three other collectors post that auction.

I understand manipulation goes on but I think that part of it is the market going up on higher end items.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

If prices were just going up "a bit" that would be normal.

The rise in some stuff is well beyond most of the previous booms I've seen since the late 70's when I started collecting more seriously than just buying packs.
The late 70's and early 80's saw some big jumps in price, mostly because the hobby was becoming more mainstream. It wasn't unusual to see a card double in price over a year or two, (Keeping in mind that pretty much anything from what today would be a solid 5 and up was usually called mint or near mint)

Some of the cards now are going well beyond that. The crazy price thread over in postwar shows a few with increases of 3-5 X in less than 6 months.

considering the prices overall around 1980 were pretty low and massive increases in the overall hobby there was more room and there still weren't price increases of that sort. When a card like a VG ish 57 Aaron goes from $3 to $6 from one year to the next that's pretty easy to see. When cards that are selling for $11K jump to $30K in 3 months that's very unusual.

Steve B
Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
The ebay sellers that many of us think are not reflective of current market prices (ie-overpriced) are the ones who buy a card for $1,100, then relist it a month later with a $2,500 BIN.
That sounds like at least one member here.
James
Old 08-30-2016, 01:44 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
I think you left out a zero!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I think you left out a zero!
LOL that is funny Pete even if true. I even seen one of the sellers that has insane prices complain about another member with insane prices, that was priceless.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Market prices

When an eBay dealer lists cards for $400 that I can buy elsewhere for $40, and those same high priced cards have been listed on eBay for the past 5 years, then I can assume that these prices do not reflect the market.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 08-30-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Wrong place

wrong place

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-30-2016 at 04:34 PM.