NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default October Pickup Thread

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I already have Jackie and Sandy, Duke is on his way to complete my Dodgers subset:

Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Just back from Beckett..............

Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

With absolutely no offense intended to Phil Garry, grading a 45? I assume they don't do number grades (not that it would matter to me), but doesn't it cost almost as much to grade as to buy? How can you listen to it now?

I'm sorry.

I just completely don't understand grading at all.

I suppose grading is a topic that everybody pretty much falls on one side of the fence or the other. I fall on the side that is quite handy with a kitchen knife.

On a related topic :

I love and collect baseball. I have a lot of "stuff" it takes up an entire room in my house and a portion of the garage. If I were to get everything graded, it would quite possibly fill up the entire house and the garage.

A question for those of you who grade, do you all have very large houses and / or storage units?

Again, my apologies to Phil Garry who I don't know and who now probably has no interest in knowing me. Almost daily, as I peruse the forums, I wonder about these things.

Best regards,
Doug

Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Mr. Snider arrived today, completing my Dodgers team set. I guess I will get the three raw pins graded by PSA or just crack the two PSA slabs and have SGC entomb them. I generally don't collect graded items and tend to bust the contents out but these pins always seem like they will scratch easily if left loose.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Doug:

No offense taken. Since I began collecting Baseball Hall of Fame Rookie collectibles about five years ago, I have stuck to my original plan of getting every single item in my collection graded by one of the major grading companies, mainly to ensure authenticity as well as to protect my collection for many years. I try to stick with traditional cards but somtimes a career contemporary issue was never produced so I am forced to become more creative. When this is the case, I then try to stick to catalogued issues only where the grading companies can feel comfortable encapsulating an item that has known measurements, etc. To their credit, Mark Anderson, Andy Broome and the guys at Beckett have taken a leaership role in the industry when it comes to authenticating catalogued items that are not necessarily the traditionally encapsulated cards that we have all come to know quite well. In the end, I guess it comes down to every person having their own opinion(s) on the grading industry and we should all focus on what makes us happy and enjoy our collections to the fullest. We sure spend enough money on them!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Swell looking pins there, Dave. I have about a half dozen myself that I keep in penny sleeves. I don't grade my collection, but I am in agreement about the protection aspect of it. My only problem is that it drives me absolutely nuts when I see pins in holders slightly off the straight-up 12 o'clock mark. Makes me want to shake the holder trying to make them upright. It's like some d*mn itch I can't scratch.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

Phil - We may not agree on grading, but you nailed it with that last sentence.
Take care,
Doug

Old 10-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: neal

New here and had a question about the large Beckett encapsulation. What is the pricing and is it thick enough for an older(72 World Series)program? There is no pricing listed on their website.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Is the record still in that O'Malley sleeve? I'd guess no but if you are not already aware of it, the record should always be removed from the sleeve to avoid damage to the sleeve.

That is a nice piece by the way.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Dave:

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator

From yesterday's Hofstra show (which was not bad):

Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Just back from SGC............

Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

Picked up this incredible Venezuela Topps specimen raw off eBay last week. DHL got it to me directly from Caracas in only 4 days. The seller cropped the scan in the auction so that the corners and edges didn't show. Talk about leaving money on the table...

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

This may be a stupid question but how can you tell it's from Venezuela?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

Not a stupid question, most are not very familiar with the subtle differences in the 1966 cards, but the Venezuelan cards have a distinct bright orange color on the backs compared to the dull orange on the US cards. Additionally, the card stock on the Venezuelan cards is off-white on the front borders, compared to a solid bright white that is seen on the US cards. While these differences alone may not be enough to differentiate between the US and Venezuelan versions, there is also a notable difference in card stock when actually examining the cards... the 1966 Venezuelan cards have an unmistakable "sandstone" type look and feel on the reverse.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Josh, that is an amazing card.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

How can he tell it's from Venezuela? He said the package came from Caracas. So the card clearly came "from" Venezuela.