NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Authentic '55 Koufax?

Ok, here are some pics of this 1955 Koufax, it's signed, sold for extremely low. Is this truly an authentic card? If it is, what a steal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koufax front.jpg (44.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg koufax back.jpg (57.0 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Al Richter

Default 55 Koufax

What did it sell for and where ? Ebay ?

This card is center stage in the Stephen King book Needful Things
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Al, I'm pretty sure it was a signed '56 Koufax. In the movie however, I think it was a signed '56 Mantle...
Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Don't see how the price and the place was sold really relates to my question...
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Keith

Default 55 Koufax...

Wouldn't be more likely that the price of the card was depressed because of the possibly non-authentic signature on it? The card is potentially a PSA 1, if gradeable at all, so the bidder is likely taking that (huge) risk into account when bidding.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by con40 View Post
Wouldn't be more likely that the price of the card was depressed because of the possibly non-authentic signature on it? The card is potentially a PSA 1, if gradeable at all, so the bidder is likely taking that (huge) risk into account when bidding.
How do you figured this is a 1? This card, if authentic, is gorgeous and would easily grade a 6 at best. IMHO

I don't want to mention the price because the price would skew ppl's opinions on whether this is authentic or not. If it sold for a low amount, ppl would think it isn't authentic beacuse Sandy charges $400 to sign a card, and a card of this card is worth at least $400-$600+ alone. If it sold for a high amount, then ppl will believe that it is indeed authentic or why would someone pay that much for a questionable card...IMHO
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
How do you figured this is a 1? This card, if authentic, is gorgeous and would easily grade a 6 at best. IMHO

I don't want to mention the price because the price would skew ppl's opinions on whether this is authentic or not. If it sold for a low amount, ppl would think it isn't authentic beacuse Sandy charges $400 to sign a card, and a card of this card is worth at least $400-$600+ alone. If it sold for a high amount, then ppl will believe that it is indeed authentic or why would someone pay that much for a questionable card...IMHO
Assuming the card IS authentic, if the signature is NOT authentic, then the card is probably a 1 because of the writing...Possibly, not even gradable, because of the fraudulent signature. They may not wanna slab it, because it could create some confusion as to whether or not the signature is authentic.. I think that's what Keith was trying to say..

Last edited by novakjr; 02-29-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Al Richter

David--you are right, it was a 56 in the Book. I did not see the movie. King usually has a lot of input into his movies. Wonder how he felt about the switch to Mantle. He is a big Boston fan

The place and price are relevant if it was ebay since savvy investors may have laid off on an ungraded auto. If it was an auction house with some representation, that would be something else. I assume you have an opinion, and you have more info. But never mind.....

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Phil Garry

I think that you are on the money, David.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Really!?!?!

Ok, you guys are putting up some great points, but that STILL unbelievably isn't answering my very VERY simple, most obvious question that I thought was self-explanatory, but apparantly it isn't.

Here is my question again, and if you struggle with it, R-E-A-D it slow to comprehend it, please.

IS THIS CARD AUTHENTIC!!!???? That's all I want to know, I NEVER once asked about the signature in my original post. I simply asked whether the card is authentic or not.

So, plain and simple, authentic yes or no. Not that difficult. If you want to talk about the signature, or what not, I don't care. Don't waste your time posting a reply.

Is this card authentic? Yes or No.

Thank you

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 02-29-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Al Richter

Default Koufax

I am too ignorant and lack the reading skills to be of any help here so I will bow out. Sorry.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Jeff

If it's not that difficult, shouldn't you know already?

Read this slowly, I CAN'T TELL.

The fact the card went for what you consider is a low price is most likely bc people who collect signed cards/rookies either prefer a graded/authenticated copy or weren't comfortable with the signature - or didn't see it. On the other hand a collector who would pay "6" money for the that card unsigned isn't gonna pay anywhere close to that for this bc it has writing on it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-29-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
If it's not that difficult, shouldn't you know already?

Read this slowly, I CAN'T TELL.

The fact the card went for what you consider is a low price is most likely bc people who collect signed cards/rookies either prefer a graded/authenticated copy or weren't comfortable with the signature - or didn't see it. On the other hand a collector who would pay "6" money for the that card unsigned isn't gonna pay anywhere close to that for this bc it has writing on it.
What is "low" to me, may not necessarily mean low to others. "Low" to me could be $1,000. etc.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I can read and I say the card looks authentic to me
Old 02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
I can read and I say the card looks authentic to me
Perfect! Thanks for your input! Wish it were a reprint now...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post

Here is my question again, and if you struggle with it, R-E-A-D it slow to comprehend it, please.

Is this card authentic? Yes or No.
Can you type the question slower?