NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default THE Hank Aaron Thread

So, inspired by the Brock and Clemente threads, I want to start a thread for my favorite player.

When I was a kid, my close friend/card rival at the time, a guy named Michael, and I competed to find troves of vintage cards around Manhattan. He collected Clemente, I collected Mays, who I started to idolize at age 8 when he returned to NY to play for the Mets. My uncle took me to Shea once to see the great man and I got to see Lou Brock play too. With the help of the ASCCA show in 1976 I put together a run of every Topps Mays card. I remember turning down a 1951 Bowman at the show saying "I don't collect those."

I had the Mays cards until I was in my twenties. I soured on Mays later in life, once I met the man at a show. I was very excited to meet him, of course, a boyhood idol and all, so I carefully rehearsed what I was going to say when I was finally in the presence of the great man. I said my piece, Mays didn't even acknowledge me, just rolled my baseball across the table to the handler like he was shooing a cockroach from his dinner plate. I was so disappointed in that non-interaction that I sold off my entire Mays collection, 1952-1973, including the autographed ball [which I'd had Mantle and Snider sign too]. For years I refused to own a Mays card. I've made peace with the 'Say Nothing' Kid since then--you gotta have Mays in a baseball card collection--but the idolization was dead the moment I left his presence.

Hank Aaron was my #2 as a kid. I remember Aaron's quest for the record in the early 1970s. I was too young and too innocent to understand the social and racial ugliness that existed around the edges of the quest; all I knew was that Henry Aaron ["OH! Henry!" as the candy commercial said] was the greatest baseball player around, especially after 1973 when Mays was gone. I was so thrilled to pull an Aaron card from a pack, something I did in 1971-72-73-74-75-76, and had so much fun chasing down the record-holding cards in 1973 and the Hank Aaron Special series in 1974. My respect for the man and his accomplishments has done nothing but grow over the years, especially after I read his autobiography and realized what he had to endure in 1973-74 when he neared 714. And best of all, when I got to meet him, Mr. Aaron was every bit the kind gentleman I'd hoped for him to be. So, with that, I will start with the autograph I collected from him in person:

Helluva nice souvenir ticket too. Bonus: the photo used to make the ticket:

My favorite childhood Aarons (obviously, the slabs came later):

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-01-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Fantastic! Sorry about the Mays experience though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Hank Aaron

Adam,

So glad that you followed suit and started a thread with Hank Aaron. Really like the Aaron items you posted so far. The signed exhibit, which you got personally, and the really neat ticket from the signing are very cool pieces. Aaron is a great player to collect; you picked well.

I personally couldn’t collect a player that wasn’t a nice individual as well. Have heard so many negative accounts with Mays over the years; it’s sad really.

Thanks for starting the thread. I look forward to keeping up with your postings.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Ne@l K

Aaron is one of my favorites as well! I never saw him play, but there was always an aura to the name .....

My first Aaron card which I slabbed later

1956Aaron.jpg

I have many Aaron cards, but this is my favorite. To this day, it is also one of my favorite cards ever, and at one point, I owned 4 of them lol

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-01-2018, 01:16 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great write up. I can only imagine how popular Aaron would be if he would have played in New York.

Last edited by jb67; 01-01-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned

I guess it’s possible Mays was simply having a bad day. Stinks though. I had a similar thing happen with a not so legendary player Mark McGwire of all people, lol. I was in my late twenties and he probably figured I was just gonna flip it but I really just wanted his autograph.

Anyway Hank Aaron is the man and I’ve always heard he was a complete gentleman. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got.

I’m curious about one thing though, can anyone post something in these player threads or should it be only for the OP to post?
Old 01-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

One of my favorite baseball quotes: Trying to sneak a fastball by Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster. Curt Simmons, maybe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:03 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Aaron is one of my favorites as well! I never saw him play, but there was always an aura to the name .....

My first Aaron card which I slabbed later

Attachment 300783

I have many Aaron cards, but this is my favorite. To this day, it is also one of my favorite cards ever, and at one point, I owned 4 of them lol
Ironic the card posted in this thread of Hank Aaron has a picture of Mays sliding.

Good stories.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Not to stray off topic too far, but I have to imagine there's a reason Mays acts the way he does/did toward fans. I wish he were more gracious, but I don't hold it against him that he's not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One of my favorite baseball quotes: Trying to sneak a fastball by Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster. Curt Simmons, maybe.
Joe Adcock, Peter.

"Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. Joe Adcock"
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/joe_adcock_104230
http://izquotes.com/quote/1220

Last edited by irv; 01-01-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Great thread Adam.

I've had this Aaron auto for as long as I can remember. Always assumed I got it signed in person at a show when I was a kid but not sure. Any thoughts on whether it's legit or not.

AndyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Aaron Auto.jpg (10.0 KB, 198 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-01-2018, 03:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
I guess it’s possible Mays was simply having a bad day. Stinks though. I had a similar thing happen with a not so legendary player Mark McGwire of all people, lol. I was in my late twenties and he probably figured I was just gonna flip it but I really just wanted his autograph.

Anyway Hank Aaron is the man and I’ve always heard he was a complete gentleman. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got.

I’m curious about one thing though, can anyone post something in these player threads or should it be only for the OP to post?
I don't see it being a problem, and I think most do regardless anyways?
Maybe I'm wrong but I think exhibitman would welcome them.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I had the Mays cards until I was in my twenties. I soured on Mays later in life, once I met the man at a show. I was very excited to meet him, of course, a boyhood idol and all, so I carefully rehearsed what I was going to say when I was finally in the presence of the great man. I said my piece, Mays didn't even acknowledge me, just rolled my baseball across the table to the handler like he was shooing a cockroach from his dinner plate. I was so disappointed in that non-interaction that I sold off my entire Mays collection, 1952-1973, including the autographed ball [which I'd had Mantle and Snider sign too]. For years I refused to own a Mays card. I've made peace with the 'Say Nothing' Kid since then--you gotta have Mays in a baseball card collection--but the idolization was dead the moment I left his presence.
I had a similar experience with Mickey Mantle. Of all the players I met during the 80s, he was the worst. When I was putting together the 1952 Topps set, that was the last card I bought and I never would have bought it if I wasn't doing a Topps set run.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Adam

Wonderful story, Adam, thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading this.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:37 AM
George

I got to see Aaron play in 1975 when he went to the Brewers and they came to Baltimore to play the Orioles, the closest team to the D.C. area where I grew up. I was in the 5th grade. Even at that age I understood he was past his prime but still appreciated that I was seeing a legend. He went hitless against Jim Palmer on a frigid April night but it was still a huge thrill for me. I got to meet him a couple times as an adult and he was a very decent, genuine guy. People forget he was a lifetime .305 hitter and never struck out 100 times in a season. Put on some weight near the end of his career but never a big guy to hit all those HRs.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM

A few Hanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 561AaronAS8WB.jpg (81.2 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg AaronPSADNA.jpg (78.3 KB, 169 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:29 AM
George

My Hank Aaron collection. The lack of a 1954 rookie card gnaws at me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hank Aaron cards.jpg (20.5 KB, 168 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Joe Adcock, Peter.

"Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. Joe Adcock"
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/joe_adcock_104230
http://izquotes.com/quote/1220
Curt Simmons, according to Baseball Almanac.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quoaar.shtml

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sure, post away; celebrate Hank Aaron, not me and my stuff. Here's a few more:

When I was 12 I got a big box of cards from some family friends with grown kids and there were a bunch of 1968 Atlantic Oil contest cards in there. Ever since I've liked the set. There was a small find of unopened pieces in the 1990s but even those yielded relatively few nice cards because of the tendency of the glue to slop over the card edges and the overall difficulty removing perforated cards from the packet. I was pretty stoked to get this Aaron recently:

Ex-Mt is really nice for the issue.

Some box cards:

Transogram:

Nabisco both variations:

1970 Action Cartridge (full box):

1976 Hostess; boy did I eat a lot of this crap as a kid:

Or not...
Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Al Richter

Third row middle

Bottom row

Old 01-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-02-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Ne@l K

some regionals (would love to find a Spic and Span)

1960LakeAaron.jpg

1954JCAaron.jpg

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-02-2018, 03:48 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Aaron

There are some nice and some very rare items being posted that’s for sure. Really enjoying this recently posted Aaron thread. Keep ‘em coming.

Do any of you guys collect the proof stuff of Hank as well? For some reason I love the proofs made for cards and other related items like the transparencies, match print photos, progressive proofs, etc. Man, if I was an Aaron collector I’d go broke in the Memory Lane Auction.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-02-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Kev1n @1les

In 1981 or 1982 I bought the baseball address book. Believe it or not, it had the home address of every living ball player. It even had a section in the back that had amended addresses of those who recently moved.

I sent out letters to probably 100 players. Rod Carew and George Brett were my favorites at the time. I would write letters telling them how much I liked them and even sent my school picture. I was 9 or 10 and pretty pathetic.

I received 2 packages in return. One was from Stan Musial. It was a postcard that had a shot of him kneeling with an autograph that said "To Kevin, Best Wishes, Stan Musial".

Then a few weeks later, I got an 8x10 envelope from Henry Aaron. In it, it contained an autographed 8x10, a blank business card sized piece that had his autograph and a modern Babe Ruth card that was two connected together that he had signed in between.

Unfortunately, when I sold my collection after I went to college, I sold those autographs with it. I wish I would have kept them. Now, I have a signed Mays/Aaron picture (signed by both), a signed baseball, and the Steiner SI cover picture of 715 that he signed as well. He will always be my favorite player of all-time as he took the time to send that stuff back to a 9 year old kid.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Robert*C@tlett

A few regional issues, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 home run derby.jpg (58.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg aaron 1957 swift meats.jpg (53.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg aaron 1958 hires.jpg (40.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 62 pitt exhibit.jpg (59.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 70 dayton daily.jpg (49.8 KB, 165 views)
Topps Venezuela - need 1967 #284
OPC - done
Regional, Food, etc. - need quite a few
would like to find - 1961 Keychain Insert, 1977 NST Oh/Aaron
Old 01-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Greg C

Default Favorite Aaron Card

This is my favorite by far from my current inventory:

Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 PM
James
James Kin.chen

I just got this 56 today. I've had the 68 for a year or so. I have a few others but the scans are too big.
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956ToppsAaronPSA8-3.jpg (77.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 1968ASAaronPSA10-1.jpg (77.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Brian Erickson

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1958-1961 JAY PUBLISHING PHOTOS-TYPE 1 WILLIE MAYS PORTRAIT-POSE TO NECK
1964 MEADOWGOLD DAIRY PANEL-HAND CUT MANTL / KOUFX / MAYS / MAZERSKI
1968 AMERICAN OIL WILLIE MAYS LEFT SIDE-$10
1969 GLOBE IMPORTS PLAYING CARDS WILLIE MAYS ACE OF HEARTS-CHECKERBOARD BACK
1971 BAZOOKA NUMBERED WILLIE MAYS HAND CUT
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Al Richter

Old 01-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Great stuff; keep 'em coming!

Some Milwaukee regionals:

Or not...
Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Mikeknapp

Here is a bunch of silly stuff. Much of it is from my childhood. 1974 was a fun year. By that time I was in full pack rat mode. I picked up the photos in the past 5 years. The signed Brooks spikes were a gift from my dad when I finished Grad school. They are his size and have the have his 44 written on the heel. I have seen pics of him wearing Adidas, Pumas, and Converse but cannot find a pic of him wearing Brooks. The 1975-76 Brewers wore these spikes if you happen to have one I'd love to see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg April_8th_1974_Hank_Aaron_passes_Ruth_.jpg (75.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Hank_Aaron.jpg (76.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Hank Aaron.jpg (29.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 1960s Hank Aaron Hartland Statue.jpg (64.5 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1974 Hank Aaron.jpg (52.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1957_Hank_Aaron.jpg (69.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1954_Hank_Aaron.jpg (73.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 1954 Topps Aaron.jpg (78.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 1954 Johnston Cookies #5 Aaron.jpg (52.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 1976_Hank_Aaron__Brewers_Game_worn_spikes.jpg (70.0 KB, 175 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 01-04-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Al Richter

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-04-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Todd Schultz

Here's one I used to own that I didn't see posted yet:

Sadly, it's in my ever-rapidly growing "No longer mine" folder.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 PM

I was fortunate to see Hank Aaron play. My first baseball game was at Crosley Field in Cincinnati in 1965...Milwaukee vs Cincinnati. Hank broke up 0-0 pitching duel in the top of the 7th inning with a solo homerun over the centerfield fence against Jim Maloney...the only run of the game.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Great thread Adam, a great player and better human being.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '64 Stand-up Aaron.jpg (75.6 KB, 145 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 01-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Mikeknapp

Cool story...I saw him play June 18, 1976 (love baseball almanac). He went 2-4 with a double and a homer. My memory swears both hits were off of a young and electric Vida Blue. However, the almanac is much less romantic. The double came off of Dick Bosman and the homer off of Jim Todd. I prefer my version of the story

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Last edited by 71buc; 01-04-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Curt Simmons, according to Baseball Almanac.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quoaar.shtml
Interesting, Peter? I would assume the Almanac is correct, but maybe we have a mystery on our hands?

Some of my Hank Aaron cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (77.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (75.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (75.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (79.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (77.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (76.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (73.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 036.jpg (78.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 63 NL RBI Leader Aaron.jpg (77.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron clubs WS HR.jpg (66.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron Mathews Fence Busters 2.jpg (39.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Something different
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pirates 001.jpg (77.9 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates 003.jpg (81.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates 002.jpg (81.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Banned

Awesome cards in this thread so far though I don’t see my favorite yet and I’m sure someone here has it. The 1959 Bazooka,
such a classic!! I of course don’t own one or i’d have found a reason to post it at least three times already, ha!
I do have this incredibly NOT rare ’60 Topps, great looking card non the less. Plus don’t think it’s been posted yet yee-haw!

Old 01-05-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintonlyplz View Post
I was fortunate to see Hank Aaron play. My first baseball game was at Crosley Field in Cincinnati in 1965...Milwaukee vs Cincinnati. Hank broke up 0-0 pitching duel in the top of the 7th inning with a solo homerun over the centerfield fence against Jim Maloney...the only run of the game.
I looked up the game 7/11/65. Aaron did breakup a 0-0 pitching duel with a homer over the centerfield fence in the top of the 7th...but he hit a two run homer off Sammy Ellis. Braves won 2-1.

Last edited by mintonlyplz; 01-05-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default It's in the name

I'm named after Hank Aaron. My dad grew up outside of Milwaukee (Janesville, WI) in the 50's and he loved the Braves. All of them.

About 20 years ago I was at a show in Taylor, MI and Hank was doing autographs for $20 a piece. I got photos signed for all my uncles, ants, and they loved them. While he was signing, I told him I'm named after him and he looked up and smiled. It was a great moment for me, and I hope for him too.

In little league my nick name was Hammerin' Hank.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Al Richter

Neat story, Aaron
Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Did someone say "Bazooka"?

Or not...
Old 01-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Mikeknapp

Cool story Aaron. My son's name is Aaron middle name Clemente. Thought I was raising a ball player. He apparently had other ideas and became a lawyer. Meh..what the heck...I love him any way.