NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Kobe Game Used and Goldin Auctions

Looks like Kobe is trying to keep his mom and Goldin Auctions from aucitoning off some of his stuff...

http://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-ba...140308993.html

Not knowing all the details, I would side with Kobe out of the gate...it's probably an unpopular view but it's his stuff and his family shouldn't have carte blanche to just sell the stuff to buy a new house...

I know this might be better placed in the Game Used section but thought the main board might generate more discussion...if Leon wants to move it over there, that's cool with me! Looking forward to your thoughts...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM

It's an interesting topic that can apply to any type of memorabilia. And many to most of us have stored stuff at our parents at some time or other. When I was away at college, all my baseball cards and memorabilia were at my parents' house.

You do hear of real life situations where kids 'temporarily' drop off stuff, perhaps while moving, at the parents house and the parents really don't have room to store it-- and the kids won't pick it up. The normal if informal rule is the parents can give due warning for the kids to pick it up, then if it's not picked up the parents can do what they want with it. At least that's what Dear Abby says.

Last edited by drc; 05-03-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Kobe

Kobe could have a billion dollars, and still won't sign an autograph unless he's paid $800 per. The real issue here is why Kobe is that way. Fans pay his salary, and yet he dogs everyone for a stupid autograph.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Jeff

That's about $800 more than I would pay for one.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Two celebrities my dad can't stand are Tom Cruise and Kobe Bryant. Tom Cruise comes first.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Jeff

Tom Cruise is an alien.
It's the only feasible explanation.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Doesn't sound like Kobe to abandon $1 million plus of property.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Doesn't sound like Kobe to abandon $1 million plus of property.
Understandable.
Buy your mom a house Kobe.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

You wonder what due diligence Goldin did to assure itself Pamela had the right to dispose of the property before advancing half a million bucks.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Sounds like Kenny Goldin entered into an agreement with the wrong person. Seems unlikely that Kobe, who knows the value of his name, would have told his mom that he had no interest in those items but I suspect anything is possible. Sounds like Lot 1 for the June auction could be the house in Nevada. It was only a matter of time before Kenny got himself into a conflict.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Jeff

You know I was thinking the same thing. If all I had was one person's word that someone else no longer wanted or laid any claim to items with a value in excess of 1 million dollars - I'd have serious reservations. Even if it was a direct family member. Surely there is more to the story.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

From the Complaint, it looks like all oral assurances from Pamela. Kobe allegedly gave them to her, saying, Here Mom, these are for you.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-03-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
It was only a matter of time before Kenny got himself into a conflict.
I am a little confused about this statement.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
From the Complaint, it looks like all oral assurances from Pamela. Kobe allegedly gave them to her, saying, Here Mom, these are for you.
I'm sure Kobe didn't give a flip about his practice shorts until he found out his mom was selling them and he wasn't in on the cut.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Kobe could have a billion dollars, and still won't sign an autograph unless he's paid $800 per. The real issue here is why Kobe is that way. Fans pay his salary, and yet he dogs everyone for a stupid autograph.
He probably has changed over time, but he signed a card for me the only time I ever asked him. Back in 2001 or so.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Buy your mom a house Kobe.
+1
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Kobe

Last time he did a public signing around here, he was charging $800 each for his favorite charity. Himself. Baseball Card Dugout Buena Park, Ca. Kobe bought his abused wife 3 houses to make up for what he did to her. Seems he can afford another for his Mom. What a loser.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Brock

But it goes back to, who decides the prices at autograph shows. I always thought the promoters decide the price they charge based on how much it cost to get the person to come in and do the signing.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Last time he did a public signing around here, he was charging $800 each for his favorite charity. Himself. Baseball Card Dugout Buena Park, Ca. Kobe bought his abused wife 3 houses to make up for what he did to her. Seems he can afford another for his Mom. What a loser.
I don't really like Kobe, but have grown to respect his incredible toughness and focus and feel that the guy can charge whatever the hell he wants for an autograph. It seems only way to make sigs worth anything is to sign fewer for more money... as opposed to greats like Bob Feller, who's signed baseballs go for little more than the price of the ball.

As I understand his mom already has a house, I think maybe even multiple houses and I'm sure Kobe helped out with those, and just about anything else she has. What she's doing is crap. If I were him, I'd never get rid of my high school gear?!?! That's probably a lot more special to him than most of his hundreds/thousands of game used NBA jersey's, shorts, etc.

TO ADD: was he ever accused of beating/abusing his wife? I don't remember that. The Eagle Colorado thing was very fishy, but seemed very fishy from both sides.

Last edited by itjclarke; 05-03-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: to add
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Read a little more about the story. Kobe, who has given millions to his mom/parents over the years (and I suspect has bought her a house or two) supposedly offered to buy her a house so she wouldn't sell his stuff... She declined because she wanted a bigger house.

Anyone's personal feelings toward Kobe aside, but if his stuff sells at auction, it is total crap.

I know I'd feel pretty violated if anyone (Mom included) decided to get rid of my old football/baseball jerseys, or my letter jacket without my consent. I'm sure even most hardened pros have sentimental attachments to these types of items.

Last edited by itjclarke; 05-03-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

If Kobe registers for Goldin auction, and tries to win some of his stuff, would that be considered shilling?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Read a little more about the story. Kobe, who has given millions to his mom/parents over the years (and I suspect has bought her a house or two) supposedly offered to buy her a house so she wouldn't sell his stuff... She declined because she wanted a bigger house.

Anyone's personal feelings toward Kobe aside, but if his stuff sells at auction, it is total crap.

I know I'd feel pretty violated if anyone (Mom included) decided to get rid of my old football/baseball jerseys, or my letter jacket without my consent. I'm sure even most hardened pros have sentimental attachments to these types of items.

lawrence taylor gave his kid his super bowl ring, and the kid subsequently sold it at auction. lawrence said 'whatever' he is free to do with it what he wants.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:57 AM

No one here knows who the collection rightfully belong to. Though the article mentions custom made championship rings given to his parents, which on the face of it sound like gifts that he couldn't take back.

Last edited by drc; 05-04-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:07 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
lawrence taylor gave his kid his super bowl ring, and the kid subsequently sold it at auction. lawrence said 'whatever' he is free to do with it what he wants.
Yeah and if LT wasn't cool with it, then it would be crap for the kid to sell it. What's your point?

It can be a crappy thing to do, even if it's well within his/her rights to do it.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
No one here knows who the collection rightfully belong to. Though the article mentions custom made championship rings given to his parents, which on the face of it sound like gifts that he couldn't take back.
I've got no issue with those rings.. I've got issue with her selling Kobe's HS state championship ring, his old HS gear, etc. Even if he technically gave it to them at some point... He clearly doesn't want her to sell them now. I'm not a parent yet, but if I were living in the house my kid bought for me, and had received millions from him.. I'd be decent enough to not sell his stuff if he changed his mind and wanted to keep it. Legally owned or not blah, blah.. They are family and she should listen to her son.

ADDING: I'm sure there's a lot that we'll never know, nor do I care to know, and I'm guessing Kobe has probably been a prick about something in all this. It still leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. He's bought her a house(s), he offered to buy her another house.. He wants to keep irreplaceable items from his youth. There's NO EXCUSE for her to sell at this point.. What, does he need to pay his own mom off, match Goldin's payment? Great parenting lesson there huh?

Last edited by itjclarke; 05-04-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 05-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Bill Gregory

Sounds like the douchebag apple didn't fall far from the douchebag tree.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
If Kobe registers for Goldin auction, and tries to win some of his stuff, would that be considered shilling?
Only if he is the consignor or has any financial interest in it, would be my view.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Jeff

The rich and their problems, tsk tsk.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Banned

either he gave the stuff to her or he didnt. if he did, to ask for it back or for her not to sell it is not right. once it belongs to someone else, they are free to do with it what they wish.

halper tried to steer his collection to someone who would put it in a museum and not sell it. he couldnt do it, because no one can promise that. once the deal is made, its not halpers anymore , or kobe's. but we will see if that deal was made between kobe and mom.

i would think mom's case is strengthened by the fact she paid for the storage locker when a guy worth hundreds of millions couldnt afford it? if it was his stuff you would think he would be paying the freight on it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Jeff

I still think I would want a stronger indicator of title that oral assurances bf I fronted a half million quid.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
either he gave the stuff to her or he didnt. if he did, to ask for it back or for her not to sell it is not right. once it belongs to someone else, they are free to do with it what they wish.
I understand this rationale, but think the logic or legality of that statement is off the table when it relates to family or people we're close with.

Example, my dad gave me a ball he had signed by Mickey Mantle and his Joplin team that he got while they were playing his hometown Enid, OK team. Technically, I'm free to do what I want, to sell it, right? Yes, I am. However, my dad is a sentimental guy and envisions that ball being passed down in our family. It would hurt him deeply if I sold it. I, being a human being, who likes to think I have some empathy and understanding that not everyone lives by the same code of logic, would never sell this ball.

Rich or not, famous or not, what is happening with Kobe and his mother is sad.. as is just about anytime you need to bring legalities into a conversation relating to family.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Jake

Another wrinkle unfolds.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...put-hold-judge

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

I predict the calif court will abstain in favor of the new jersey court

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Eric Perry

My humble opinion here is that, if a ruling is made in California, this case will wind up in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals...at which point, all bets are off.

In any event, this should be interesting.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Right on.. Save Kobe's gear!!