NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default Joe Wood postcard

Posted By: MIke Peich

Hi everyone,

I am a neophyte postcard collector and need your collective advice on a card I've been offered. The card in question was in Steve Verkman's last auction. It is a photo of the 1912 Red Sox, including Joe Wood, and was written by JW to his mother. SW wants $500 for the card, and while that seems steep to me, maybe it's a decent price for a card of this scarcity.

What do you think? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Regards, Mike

Old 10-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

link or pictures would help

Old 10-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Peich

Sorry for not providing a link to the card:
http://www.csauctions.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000026610. Also, it is a real photo card from 1910, not 1912. Mea culpa, Mike

Old 10-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Special item, no doubt. I'll let others study the faces and decide if they are present here, but the team had some significants: Ed Cicotte, Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper. Wood's signature is far from rare or expensive, but early celebrity handwritten letters to Mom are always most desirable.

To me $500 is high, but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Administrator

It might go without saying, but I will still mention that it's value is in more than the straight value of the postcard. The mere fact it was owned by Joe and given to him mom (with signature and writing) gives a premium in value and desirablility ... However, compared to other famous players, Woods personal items (photos, awards, etc) are common on the market.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rod48

That card could easily be worth that.See "Sports Postcard Price Guide" by J.L. Washburn.Yours isn't in there , but similar ones are in that range.Also the Hot Springs postmark is good since I believe the Red Sox had spring training there.Seems to be a lot of Smokey Joe stuff around. Someone must be breaking uo his estate.

Old 10-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Old Joe's mom must have had a problem remembering exactly who her son was. At least that's the only reason I can guess as to why he would need to put his last name on the card!