NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default A Needle in a Haystack

Posted By: Travis Jensen

Here is a story I wrote a while back about collecting. Hope you all like it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK

I’m what some people may call a “flea market junkie.” I love everything about flea markets: the atmosphere, the people, the bargaining, the bickering, the smell of old stuff, and most of all-the hunt for that needle in a haystack. Me, I collect vintage sports memorabilia.

One of my favorite local flea markets is the one held at the old naval ship yard in Alameda, California (near Oakland) on the first Sunday of every month. I frequent this particular flea market somewhat religiously. I’m always there early (no later than seven thirty), lurking strategically from aisle to aisle, booth to booth, leaving no rock unturned, searching for something interesting to add to my collection. Sometimes I walk away with some really nice stuff and other times empty handed.

On my most recent pilgrimage, it was one of those days where I wasn’t having much luck. It was getting close to noon and I hadn’t found anything. The only money I had spent was on food. We were having record breaking heat in the Bay Area this particular weekend and my face, neck and arms were beginning to sunburn. I was relieved I only had one short aisle of un-searched booths left to check before calling it a day, because I was beginning to suffer from dehydration and minor sun stroke.

As I approached the second to last booth, which consisted of only four banker boxes piled on top of an old rickety bridge table, I asked the sun baked seller, “You don’t happen to have any sports stuff by chance do you?”

He paused for a moment to think as he wiped the sweat from his beat red face and replied, “You know, as a matter of fact I do.” He gestured for me to wait and from his four boxes he pulled out old papers, toys, trophies, skateboard wheels, pictures, art supplies, office supplies, a water bottle, some tools, a couple of knick-knacks, a handful of thingamajigs, and just before he pulled the rabbit from his hat, he revealed the item he was looking for. “Aha! Here ya’ are,” he said, blowing the dust off it, and then handing it to me.

It was an old high school football program from Bristow, Oklahoma dated Friday, November 26th, 1937. Flipping through it, I discovered that it was autographed by most, if not the entire team on the backside. It even had a picture of the football queen with her John Hancock on there as well. I scanned through the signatures, but didn’t recognize any of the names.

“This is pretty cool,” I said. “How much do you want for it?”

“Three bucks.”

I didn’t bother trying to bargain with him. Three bucks seemed fair to me. It will make a good conversation piece if anything, I thought.

“You’ve got a deal, Mr.,” I said, pulling three dollars out of my wallet and handing it over to him.

Before I left I asked him, “By the way, where did you happen to find this thing at anyway?”

“Man, to tell you the truth, I can’t quite remember. I think it might have come from an old estate I cleared out a while back down near San Jose, but I’m not certain.”

The next morning I did some detective work and started plugging the names of the individuals who had signed the program into Google. I was about three-fourths through the list when I got my first significant hit while searching the name, Clyde Leforce. Nearly a whole page of matches pulled up from Tulsa University, The Detroit Lions, and even eBay. Astonished, I clicked on the Detroit Lions link first and read through the info and stats. It said Clyde Leforce was drafted from TU in 1947 and played as the Lions quarterback for three years. His stats looked pretty good. In fact, he was the Lions seasonal passing leader back in ‘47.

I then went on to view the hits I got from Tulsa University, which revealed that Clyde was an outstanding two-way player and had led the Golden Hurricanes in scoring, rushing, passing, punting, and punt returns in 1943. I also learned that Clyde was inducted into the TU Athletic Hall of Fame in 1986. Impressive!

As for the eBay results, there happened to be a couple of different Clyde Leforce football cards that were currently up for auction. One was a 1949 Leaf card, which had two days left on auction and the other was a 1949 Exhibit SP (short print) card, which had three days left. I bookmarked both cards so I could bid on them later.

Although I was now about 99.9% sure that the Clyde Leforce who signed the program was the same Clyde Leforce who later played for the Detroit Lions, I still needed to confirm that .01%. I decided to call information to see if they had anyone listed in Bristow under the name. Surprisingly, I got a hit! I was getting pretty lucky with these hits and started thinking that some divine force was guiding me closer and closer to the source.

After preparing a short list of preset questions, I called the number but nobody answered. I left a message on the machine and figured I’d try back again the following day. Then, a couple hours later, the phone rang. The name on the caller id read, Leforce. It was Clyde’s wife, Mrs. Rosemary Leforce. I introduced myself and told her about my find. She was exceptionally pleasant sounding over the phone and told me that Clyde, now 82 years old, was unfortunately unable make it to the phone, but that she would be happy to tell me everything I wanted to know.

First, she confirmed that Clyde did in fact go to Bristow High and later on to play football for the Detroit Lions. She added that Clyde must have signed the program when he was only a freshman (playing varsity football) since he didn’t graduate high school until 1941. She then went on to tell me that after high school, Clyde attended Tulsa University where he excelled in both his studies and football. In 1944, Clyde joined the navy to serve his country in WWII. Upon returning home in 1946, Clyde continued to play football and completed his education at TU receiving an undergrad degree in Petroleum Engineering. The following year, 1947, Clyde was drafted by the Detroit Lions where he spent three years as a quarterback. Clyde and Rosemary returned back to their hometown of Bristow in 1949 where they raised three daughters, Judy, Vickie, and Jill. Clyde and Rosemary have been married for over 61 years. About the only thing Rosemary couldn’t tell me was how in the world the program ended up in my hands all the way out in the Bay Area. This was something that bewildered us both.

I was so touched by my conversation with Mrs. Leforce that I decided right there over the phone that I was going to send her the program after I got some decent scans of it. In exchange, all I asked is if she wouldn’t mind having Clyde sign a football card for me. She said he would be delighted.

A few days later, I ended up winning the auction for the 1949 Leaf, Clyde Leforce card for $13.50 delivered (here’s an interesting fact about this particular card: It’s actually an error card, because Clyde’s last name is misspelled on the card as “L(a)force.” This is where part of my .01% doubt/confusion came from during my initial research).

As for the second card, the 1949 Exhibit SP, it ended at a whopping $150 due to its scarcity. Unfortunately, I was outbid on that one.

I mailed the program out to the Leforce family last week. I also enclosed the card I won on eBay for Clyde to sign. I’m really looking forward to receiving it. Considering the story behind it, it’s definitely going to be one of the highlights in my collection.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
~~~
Today I received a letter from Mrs. Leforce today. Here is what she had to say:

Dear Mr. Jensen,

Thanks so much for the football program. We have really enjoyed looking at it. Also, the players who are still alive and live in Bristow have it enjoyed seeing it, too. It certainly brings back many happy memories.

Clyde autographed the football card for you. If it's not too much trouble, we'd really like to see the story when you're finished.

This Sunday there is a rededication of the LeForce Field house. The gym was named in honor of Clyde's dad. Over the years the metallic lettering that was on it has disappeared, so they have replaced it. Our family is looking forward to that. There are several other educational complexes that are new and are being dedicated at the same time.

Have a great summer!

Sincerely,

Rosemary LeForce

I also got the card back which Clyde signed for me:
[img][/img]
~~~
I received another letter from the LeForce family today in response to my story. Here's what Clyde's wife, Rosemary, had to say:

Dear Mr. Jensen,

We have read and reread the article you sent us. It is just a super story!

Again, let me say-this is a very fine tribute to Clyde and the football team. This is such a unique story. I can see why you are a very capable and successful sports writer. Thanks again!

Wishing you a great summer and much success in your future endevours.

Sincerely,

Rosemary LeForce

Old 02-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Good story, now I want to see the article - where can I find a copy?

Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

good detective work, and it looks like it turned out win-win all the way around. Keep us posted if you find another haystack!

Old 02-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I hate to be negative, but Ive seen better queens in a deck of playing cards, even some jokers.

Seriously tho: great experience, thanks for sharing it with us!

Old 02-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Genevieve doesnt look too bad (hard to really tell given the picture quality and we are talking small town oklahoma) but give her a modern hair style and watch out.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Hi Travis,

Thanks for sharing a really neat story... I don't believe you mentioned this in your post but can we assume that Coach Leforce whos pictured in the program was Clydes father?

Old 02-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Travis

Hi Scott:

Yes, Mose, is in fact Clyde's father. Maybe I should include that in the story.

Thanks for reading!

Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lori Jones

Thanks for a wonderful story about my grandfather. My kids and I were searching the internet and came across your story. I have two boys and they think it is pretty cool to read something like that on the internet about their great grandfather. Thank you for providing them that piece of memorabilia. What is only worth a few dollars to some people is priceless to others.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Travis Jensen

Hi Lori:

Thanks for your kind words! This was by far one of my favorite pieces that I have done to date. I really enjoyed the research and meeting your grandmother. Thanks again for reading and please feel free to contact me anytime: thesfmasher@yahoo.com

Best,

Travis Jensen