NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default Ballparks to visit before you die

Posted By: Bob

Maybe a little OT but our vintage heroes played in many of them.
I believe this is the last year for Yankee Stadium (?) so I'll have to plan on attending a game there this year. With the attendance I expect from a park in its last year, I may end up seeing someone crappy like the Rangers, I don't hold much hope of getting Bosox tickets.
How many more years does Fenway have?
I have no desire to go to the Metrodome but will be there in 2010 when the new park opens in Minnesota.
I missed Comiskey Park but got to go to Tiger Stadium, Wrigley Field, Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis (where not only the Twins played in the early years but Willie Mays, Ted Williams, and others played for the Millers) and the old Rangers ballpark which although not historic per se, was definitely a great place to watch a game.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

My wife actually got me tickets to a Yankees-Mariners (we're from Seattle) game in Yankee stadium because i had told her last year that I had always wanted to go to "the house that Ruth Built" and they were not going to be playing anymore -

I also heard that it will be the last year for Shea Stadium, so we may try to catch a subway series and make it to both parks on the same day or subsequent days -

Old 02-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Addie_Joss

While I agree that everyone who loves baseball should see a game at Yankee Stadium, I hate Yankee Stadium and the Yankees in general. I'm 22 now and for the past 10-12 years the Yankees have really turned their backs on their fans. When I was a little kid I loved going to Yankee games. My dad and I would get to the games super early and stand outside the gate the players come in to get autographs of guys like Scott Sanderson, Melido Perez, Tartabull, Gallego, Dion James, Luis Polonia and so on. And during the game we'd have no problem moving all the way up to field level after the 3rd or 4th inning. However, ever since the Yankees started to win the gates by the player entrance have gotten further and further apart to discourage fans and it is absolutely impossible to move from where your seat is. Security won't even let you onto the field level without a ticket. The Yankees are awful towards their fans and in return have caused me to no longer enjoy their games or their team. I just can't stand the arrogance. I'm not sure what the policy is like at other stadiums but it can't be as impersonal and unappreciative as Yankee Stadium.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

I have been to Yankee stadium and thought it was pretty nice. Fenway Park however is the place to see a ballgame. Very nostalgic. Seating is very close to the field. Makes you feel more a part of the game. Great atmosphere inside and out. Always a pleasure to be there. Frank

Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

Russ you are in luck the Mets are at home the day after the Yankees finish playing Seattle. The Mets and Yanks only play at home the same day once or twice a year. If you are planning to go to a game at Yankee stadium get your tickets now as they will sell out every game. CN

Old 02-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

The most enjoyable experience in sports (regular season) is a day at the MLB ballpark of your choice.

I would rather attend a couple Angels games at Anaheim Stadium where I grew up over going to any other park. Wandering the stadium with all the Nolan Ryan Memorabilia throughout - saw him live many times in the 1970's as a kid - brings back great memories.

Special note - get seats as directly behind home plate as you can, lowest section of upper deck. A) You get to take in the whole stadium atmosphere. B) You actually see the pitches coming in directly over home plate, the BEST!

steve

Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

Yeah, my wife already Stub Hub'd the tickets from a season ticketholder - so we will have the tickets as soon as they're released - Not even sure if it's a day or a night game yet, it's still TBD - i just checked and the Mets are actually in Arizona the weekend we're going (May 2-5th) so no dice on the double header... maybe I can convince her to have a layover in Chicago for Wrigley or Boston for Fenway...

this might be a long trip... lol...

Old 02-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Fenway is a must if you are a baseball fan. Camden Yards has a great atmosphere as well. Best place for me was Jacobs Field. Even though I am not an Indians fan (saw them in 1997 when I attended the National that year), I had a great time. Great fans, including nuns in the stands rooting for the Tribe.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I've been to many of the newer stadiums and a few of the older ones but my favorite is the one my son is playing on... 

Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Fenway and Yankee stadium. Could we go back in time to Polo Grounds? I would also love to see Comisky and Sportsman Park.

Jason

Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Yankee stadium was alot cooler when I was a kid but I went about 14 years between visits,going there in 2005 and the place is such a dump both inside and outside,if there is any stadium that needs to be remodeled its that.I would have never even thought about tearing it down though,thats just ridiculous. If you dont get to visit it you wont miss much and i believe theyre keeping monument park intact so you could always go see that. Hopefully with the new stadium they clean up the area around it a little

Fenway Park is definitely a must see,Ive been there twice,once for 2 Mets games a couple years ago and once for a playoff game vs the White Sox in 05. Great place and area around the stadium,i was hanging out there 3 hours before the last game of the Mets series.

For pure beauty I would recommend PNC Park,its an amazing view from behind home plate and seats all around the stadium are great and you cant beat the prices,plus the area around the stadium is nice

Citizens Bank isnt bad,prices are high all around but there is plenty of parking,nice around the stadium and some great views from seats depending on where you are,some seats can be a pain to see everything because of the nooks and crannys in the outfield,plus they dont like playing replays there for some reason

Shea Stadium is a dump too and it doesnt have the mystique of Yankee Stadium,plus they have even less parking than before due to the new stadium being built in the middle of the parking lot. If you miss Shea dont feel bad

Forgot about Camden Yards which is a nice stadium,has a ton of parking and the Babe Ruth birthplace and museum is right around the corner and a must visit. Ive been there 3 times and really like the place,although they raise the prices for the Yankees and Red Sox games substancially,i hate when teams do that.

I would recommend in order Fenway,PNC,Camden and Citizens Bank. The 2 new york ones just arent that great but if you had to see one its definitely Yankee stadium, Shea is garbage. I have tickets for the first game at the new Nationals Ballpark,that one looks like its going to be real nice!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I don't recommend Fenway. Very dangerous.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

after the renovation in the early '70s it lost something, esp.moving the monuments out of centerfield.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

There was always a fairly decent chance of dying at particularly cold night games at Candlestick, but somehow I sense that wasn't the spirit of your question. Fenway and Wrigley have always been my top 2.

I had the misfortune of embarking on my cross country ballpark tour roadtrip on August 15th, 1994. If you'll remember, the strike hit three days before on August 12th. We were locked into that time frame, so it was definitely a helpless feeling as both the strike and our trip loomed concurrently. Seeing the outside of Wrigley just wasn't the same. We did, however, hit Dyersville, IA to see the "Field of Dreams," which actually stretches across two neighboring farms. For a couple bucks you rent a ball, bat, and glove and use the field for a bit. I stood by the corn as my friend (who never played a nanosecond of organized ball) stood at the plate, tossed the ball in the air and swung and missed 93 consecutive times.

The coolest item at the gift shops (two competing gift shops, one for each farm, about 15 yards from one another) was a coffee cup with a picture of a cornfield on the side. When you pour coffee, or any hot beverage, into the cup, the players magically appear through the corn. Too cool.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

I've done Fenway (my No. 1 goal) and Wrigley (the most beautiful park ever) so that leaves Yankee Stadium as the one I wanted to get to. I don't think it's going to happen, though. The clock is ticking too fast for me to get there this year. The thing about Yankee Stadium is that it isn't the "real" thing so I'll be able to live with myself. I would have loved to go to the original House That Ruth Built.

John

Old 02-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Hull

I've been to probably 60-some games at Fenway Park. There are some great seats there and some really wretched seats, but the atmosphere is terrific wherever you happen to be. I'd highly recommend a visit for any fan of the game. Well, perhaps except Yankee fans.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I have been fortunate to have gone to almost all stadiums in my 31 years. I am a devout Yankee fan, and I have seen my share of games there. I agree with some that the neighborhood is not what I would classify as great, but it adds to the mystique. As far as the Yankees not being approachable, Dion James and Danny Tartabul are in a different League than A-Rod and Jeter, comparing the team of today, to the team of 20 years ago, is not apples and oranges, it's like comparing apples and a**holes.

Fenway is a great classic park, just don't wear Yankee gear, there is always someone willing to lose a beer to make a point.
Wrigley is a cathedral, and should be labeled as such. The neighborhood around it, the fans, it is baseball
Comiskey was great, I just always felt like the second deck was going to come crashing down
Old Tiger Stadium, classic, just don't stay after dark
New Comiskey or whatever the hell they call it is about as Vanilla as they come.
PNC is a new classic

I'd also like to give a nod to The Vet, 3 Rivers, Busch Stadium, and The Kingdome, rest in pieces. May Kaufman Stadium join you soon, (renovation plans aside, the phrase polishing a terd comes to mind)

Shea stadium will better serve the world as a parking lot.

Turner Field, Safeco, Camden, Pac Bell, Anaheim and Bank One Ballpark (or whatever they are called now) are all Disney imagineered parks, with the "experience" in mind, great for the kids.

There are a lot of great parks out there, no time to go through them all, one of my favorites that is no longer standing though, NY-Penn League former home of the Auburn Astros, never have so much chicken wire and plywood come together in such a wonderful way. Tetanus shot required to sit behind the plate.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Favorite as a kid was Crosley Field- Cincinnati (provided you didn't sit behind a post). No obstructed view seat disclaimers in those days! It was about as intimate as they come. I was one of the few back then who was NOT excited to see the generic Riverfront Stadium replace it.

Favorite nowadays is PacBell Park (S.F.) They did an amazing job keeping it small with every seat having a great view. The ambiance/setting (right on the water) is tough to beat as well...

Old 02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I love PNC...but I am biased.

When I lived in Boston I attended about 15 games at Fenway. The atmosphere in and around that park is incredible. The talk when I was in town ('97-'99) was that the park was going to be torn down. Is that still in the works? It would be a shame. I am trying to locate my "Save Fenway" bumper sticker to scan.

Living near Cleveland I have stopped to visit what is left of League Park a number of times. There is talk of partially renovating that area but it is not located in the safest part of town. Jacobs Field is nice, but doesn't compare to PNC.

If you do visit Pittsburgh have someone direct you to the site of Forbes field in the Oakland section of town. Part of the left field wall still stands where Maz's homer cleared to win the '60 series.

The worst stadium that I have ever been to was Tropicana Park in Tampa. Just a very sterile and blah atmosphere.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Old 02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I have been to several stadiums and I would definately recommend going to Fenway at least once in your life, but as someone mentioned earlier there are some REALLY awful seats there so you should kinda know where you will be sitting.

I also want to strongly recommend PNC Park to anyone that hasn't attended a game there, definately a new classic ballpark. One of the nicest parks I have ever been to (this is coming from a guy that has seen more games at the old Kingdome than anywhere else.) My family and I just moved away from Pittsburgh this last year and while there are many things I miss I think PNC is one of the biggest (It is as nice as Mellon Arena is terrible!)
-Rhett

Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Someone above mentioned the POLO Grounds in NY. I remember going there as a kid to see them play the Dodgers. Also saw 3 games at Ebbets field and in one of them my hero the Duke hit a home run. Man as a kid that was fantastic. Shea Stadium, its the pitts. I wouldn't go there if I had free, at the dugout tickets. What a hole. Frank

Old 02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Cobby33's post speaks for itself.... how can you top that?

Old 02-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

Coors Field is nice.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

When I was 12 years old the local Ohio all-stars got to parade around the entire Crosley Field in our respective unies. This was 1961 and the year the Reds won the pennant. We were playing shadow ball in the outfield and leaping against the fences to make phantom catches. I am sure the crowd thought we were nuts. I will always remember that day, dressed in my white uniform with gold and blue trim. The grass was emerald green and the day was gorgeous. I played a lot of baseball after that but that day was the best
BTW, no one answered my question (if anyone knows)- how many years does Fenway have left? Plans for a new park or is that all conjecture?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

TBob-
I believe Fenway will be around at least until 2012 (100th anniversary). The owners have been doing everything they can to maximize the number of seats available as well as investing in the surrounding area. I do not believe there are plans to tear down the park for at least 4 plus years (and if it does go down, I think the plan is to build a new one exactly in its place, not at the South Boston waterfront that was discussed a few ears ago).
Alan Elefson

Old 02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

In the mid 90s there was a lot of talk about replacing Fenway. The owner at the time let it geta bit run down and claimed there was no way the Sox could be competitive without a new park - two World Series later have laid rest to that lie.

The new owners are pouring a lot of money into the park. I think it will be there for 10, 20 years or more.

Bob

Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Camden Yards is my favorite stadium. I love that place. I try to get down there every year for a game to sit in the outfield (usually right to center field).

Jacobs Field is another good one.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

I agree that PNC is a wonderful park and that everyone should see a game at Fenway. But I also think that it's necessary to take in a game at Wrigley. Consider who set foot on that field. My gosh, Christy Mathewson pitched there.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris East

Rickwood Field in Birmingham Alabama is the oldest baseball park in the country. The Birmingham Barons (T206 Carlton Molesworth), the Black Barons (Satchel Paige and a young Willie Mays among others), and ML teams toured there (Ruth, Cobb, et al).

The AA Birmingham Barons currently play at a different stadium in Birmingham, but every season they have the "Rickwood Classic" where they wear throwback uniforms for a Southern League game at Rickwood. Awesome experience. Old Negro Leaguers and white players who played at Rickwood usually show up for the Classic, and although their numbers dwindle each year as age and mortality have taken a toll, man, what a dream it is to sit around with some of those guys listening to their stories.

http://www.rickwood.com/
http://www.baseballparks.com/MustSeeRickw.asp

Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: whitehse

I have had the good fortune to grow up in the Chicago area and went to many games at old Comiskey as well as Wrigley and County Stadium in Milwaukee. It is kinda funny in that as I grew up I only saw ball games in these old ballparks and always wanted to go to a "new" stadium to experience what a new stadium was like. Well I eventually went to Cincinnati and saw a game at Riverfront stadium. Give me the old ballparks anytime.

I did have the good fortune of working in the front office for the Chicago Cubs for 7 years. Many times they did not have a security guard show up for the overnight shift and I would volunteer just for the sheer joy of sitting in the upper deck and watching the sun come up over the lake and filling the old ball park with that early morning sunlight! That was the best time in my life and a experience I will never ever forget.

I remember a few years ago I think it was Visa that ran a commercial about stepping onto Fenway park in the morning and feeling the dew from the grass on your feet....Priceless. I thought to myself that I was a lucky bastard that I had that same experience at Wrigley and being the only one in the ballpark made my knees kinda week. I remember standing at home plate and just thought of all the history layed out before me. These were the dreams of my youth that actually came true. I am one lucky bastard!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I like what Mark said about Wrigley,when you think of what happened on that field its just amazing to be there although I've only been outside the stadium,the Cubs werent home when I went out to old Comiskey Park in 1986. Anyway when i went to the first game in Fenway before the game started I was just standing there by my seat staring at home plate and the pitchers mound and thinking to myself,Babe Ruth stepped into that same batters box against Walter Johnson pitching from that same spot. I was there in a stadium of 35,000 cheering fans and I couldnt hear a thing as i pictured Johnsons classic windup and Ruth taking his mighty hack at the fastball like it was happening right before me.

I also got to sit on top of the Green Monster for Pedro's return game to Boston and that was just an unreal experience