NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Do I buy this 52 Topps 323 Church?

Okay, I have an opportunity to buy a marvelous card: 1952 Topps Bubba Church High number 323, certified PSA 8. 28 exist at this grade, with 3 higher.

Now, I never buy the grade. I buy the card. And this card...dayum. Perfect, dead centering, blinding white edges, razor sharp corners. Has the eye appeal that on a regrade could get an 8.5.

The asking price is $1250. Now based on the SMR and the price guides I've consulted, and past auction prices, this would be too much, by 300 or so. But I also know from past experience that centered cards, with that Capital E Eye appeal fetch pretty good premiums over book value.

I'm not a dealer or an investor, so flipping the card and making a quick buck isn't the goal. But just because I'm not motivated by profit doesn't mean I don't want to get a good deal, and if I were to sell the card, I'd at least want to make back what I put into it.

So with that in mind, do you think the price is reasonable given all I've described, or what should my max offer be? Should I pass?

Many thanks!

BR
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM

What are you trying to do, put a registry set together? In that case buy it.

If all you want is a 52 Topps set that looks good, don't buy it.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Well I am building a registry, but getting cards in the PSA 6-7 range. But this month, thanks to a very nice change in my finances, I wanted to get something special.

It's just that price guides are only so informative, and I don't have anything to really compare with. Right now the card exceeds the SMR, but given it's a stunning example, perfectly centered, then one has to factor in the premium on the quality. But is that premium worth an additional $400 over the SMR?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Richard A.

I have no idea who Bubba Church is. I have no idea what the prices on high number, high grade 1952s is.

My advice is this: If this card blows you away, spend the extra money on it. If you're not 100% certain, then buy something that does blow you away. If you have a bit of extra scratch this month, maybe you can get a star/HOF card that's normally priced out of your 'normal' budget, but that fits the grade of your set and knocks your socks off.

Either way, good luck with your set. I only wish I had the patience to make a run at the '52 Topps set.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Honestly, I cant imagine you making your money back on that deal ever. It's pretty unlikely there will be a hobby run on journeyman pitchers in the 52' set high number or not. I would offer 400 less than that price and negotiate from there if you really want the Church.

Really though, if I had the extra scratch for the month and wanted to spoil myself, the suggestion above of getting a star or HOF that impresses yourself and the uninformed everyday colector in your 6-7 range might be far more fun and more apt to hold value as the amount of registry builders vs. everyday collectors who focus on well known players is a vast difference when it comes to cashing out if needed. I focus from a limited budget perspective though in my choices, if costs are not an issue than do as you please of course.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 AM

I never loved having prominent cards that grade much higher than the rest of my set. I own a nice VG/EX quality 1956 set with a Clemente that is a sharp NM+. It might sound stupid but the Clemente stands out too much from the rest of the set. I've been looking for a VG (preferrably one with strong corners, great color and centering and a small light crease). Downgrading that card will let me sell off the nicer one, which will increase my limited budget. I agree with the guys that posted before me. Take the money you save in not buying the great Church card and get yourself a nice Church and one or two other prominent, nice cards in conditions consistent with the rest of your set.

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 10-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I opted not to buy the card, because the seller's minimum was still above my maximum. Actually, thanks the PSA registration number, I found the identical card sold in an auction in May, so I knew exactly what this fellow had paid for it, and it was well below my offer. He would've made a nice profit, and IMO he got a bit greedy. Some haven't figured out that this is a buyer's market, and a lotta people are selling. Prices are down, and that's why certain cards by guys like 707 and Memory Lane just sit and sit and sit.

So I'm gonna take your advice and put that money into several nice PSA 6s instead...get a few high #s, or a star card.

Many thanks all!

BR
Old 10-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Larry

I think you made the right decision, BR, for a couple of reasons: (1) I'm not sure the set registry deal is here to stay, long-term, and if it turns out it does not, a whole bunch of the demand for that card or any card of a common player, in ultra high grade, simply vanishes, even in the context of a set like the '52 Topps. The value then follows suit and plummets; and (2) registry sets seem to be subject to a trend where they are assembled, pride is taken in the achievement, and then they are broken up and the cards offered individually for sale again. The latter situation is not good for long term appreciation either, as it is the AVAILABLE supply of a card that determines its value in conjunction with the demand for it, and NOT the total number in existence. In other words, if these sets are simply assembled and flipped, the available supply stays higher than if they disappear into private collections for many years.

Good choice, IMO

Larry