NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 AM

As a New Yorker who collected in the 70,s Lou Piniella for his 1977 Burger King card that Steinbrenner had them add.CN

Last edited by chris6net; 06-26-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
As a New Yorker who collected in the 70,s Lou Piniella for his 1978 Burger King card that Steinbrenner had them add.CN
1977 Burger King.
http://gothamist.com/2008/08/31/the_...wentythird.php
Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 PM

One more comment on Wagner. This forum, an audience of card-collecting obsessed folks, may not appreciate it, but there is a whole world of people who love baseball (and baseball history), but don't give a hoot about cards/collectibles.

I personally know several people who have read "The Glory of Their Times", but have never ever purchased a baseball card. To those people, Honus Wagner was one of the greatest ballplayers ever (which is repeated frequently in that book...the book is not about baseball cards...), not some guy on a baseball card.

There are hundreds of other books about baseball from which one learns about Honus Wagner the great player, not Honus Wagner the card.

So Bilko, Honus Wagner is *an* answer to the question, but not a very good one. There are quite a number of answers given in this thread that are not even debatable - I think that makes them much better answers.

(Frankly, Mantle is a much worse answer...pretty much everybody in North America knows of Mantle's career, and very few of those know or care about 1952 Topps...)

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 06-26-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftons8 View Post
Mike Mitchell and Andy Pafko

I realize Pafko had a decent career, but most don't know his stats. Most vintage collectors do know the player on card #1 in 1952.
+1 I was going to say Mike Mitchell as well
Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle
Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Art Houtemann.
Bill Denehy.
Fritz Ackley.
Hank Allen.
Sonny Jackson.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Another from my youth...

1976 topps kurt bevaqua bubble gum blowing contest card.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM

How about the O'Brien brothers from '54
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Fatty Arbuckle is famous for being Fatty Arbuckle, and for a notorious trial. When I think of Hank Allen, I think of his relation to Dick Allen. Is there something special about his baseball card?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
There are hundreds of other books about baseball from which one learns about Honus Wagner the great player, not Honus Wagner the card.

So Bilko, Honus Wagner is *an* answer to the question, but not a very good one. There are quite a number of answers given in this thread that are not even debatable - I think that makes them much better answers.
Your point about non-debatable answers being better makes a lot of sense to me. But saying that Wagner is "not a very good answer" sounds to me like you're saying Bilko's opinion is wrong because it differs from yours.

That said, for each of the hundreds of baseball books that speak of Wagner the player and not Wagner the card, how many other forms of media exposures do you suppose exist that discuss just Wagner the card? I have absolutely no numbers to back this up, but if I had to guess, I'd say there are just as many articles, blog posts, news reports, etc. that discuss Wagner the card. In fact, with how things syndicate so easily across the Internet, I'm guessing those articles also get as much or more views/imprints/etc as any of those books.

Until we qualify the audience, I'm certainly of the opinion -- based on people I've encountered -- that Wagner is known more because of his card than because of his exploits on a baseball diamond.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
Your point about non-debatable answers being better makes a lot of sense to me. But saying that Wagner is "not a very good answer" sounds to me like you're saying Bilko's opinion is wrong because it differs from yours.

Regards,

Richard.
No. Bilko said Wagner was "easily the best fit" for the question, and further that Wagner was the perfect answer.

Anyone can have an opinion, but when you phrase it like that, you invite informed criticism.

Wagner is not "easily the best fit" for the question, and far from the perfect answer.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Mike Ryan

Default How about this guy?

One for the type set?.....Here's my choice.
Pitcher, catcher, infielder or outfielder?? I don't know. The card is a keeper because of his name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TITMAN 001.jpg (77.6 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by leaflover; 06-26-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-27-2011, 05:21 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default From the Old Judge Set...

I am always amazed at how fervently collectors pursue and generously they pay for the cards of Billy Sunday and John Francis "Phenomenal" Smith considering how truly pedestrian their careers were.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Pancho Herrer(a).
Masanori Murakami.
Was Hobliztel mentioned yet?
Johnny Ray.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

What about 1969 Aurilio Rodriguez (batboy card)?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
I am always amazed at how fervently collectors pursue and generously they pay for the cards of Billy Sunday and John Francis "Phenomenal" Smith considering how truly pedestrian their careers were.
Billy Sunday is known more for being a preacher though. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason his items get as much love as they do..
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Re: Mr. Sunday

No doubt the lifestyle of professional baseball players in that era had a lot to do with driving Billy Sunday into the profession for which he is best known.

According to accounts of the time he did have some skills that were baseball-worthy (such as his speed), but had he never become a preacher I don't think his cards would get nearly the attention they do.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcohon View Post
I think arguing that Honus Wagner fits this category because his t206 is better known to the man on the street than his career, misinterprets the sense of the question. To me, the question means who was not a famous player, but has a famous card?

Some cards of obscure players have become well-known within the hobby. I know Ten Million was mentioned, from the t212 set. But I think Frank Miller may fit even better.

Miller played seven seasons of minor league ball, but had, when the dust settled, a thoroughly forgettable career. He also had a t212 card. Lately, a wealthy descendant has been buying up all of the cards, creating a scarcity and a stir.

Anyone working on the t212 set thinks of the Miller card as a major acquisition. But in 1911, nobody ever pulled Miller out of a pack of Obak cigarettes and celebrated.
William,
While I will not argue the premise of your post as it relates to the subject of the thread (although you did fail to mention 5+ years in the majors), I do take exception to you claiming to know anything about my financial status. In my 11.7 years of collecting, I have averaged 4.03 cards per year at an average cost of $150.97 per card. If that is the new benchmark of wealth, this has to be the wealthiest group anywhere on the web.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Pete Sycks

How about T206 Demmitt
Old 06-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Fatty Arbuckle is famous for being Fatty Arbuckle, and for a notorious trial. When I think of Hank Allen, I think of his relation to Dick Allen. Is there something special about his baseball card?
Hi Mark,

You are correct in regards to Arbuckle's career and his notorious trial.

I should have been a tad more specific. Arbuckle was part-owner of the PCL's Vernon Tigers, which ultimately landed him a Zeenut card during that era.

A very rare, amusing and desirable card as you probably know:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2011/534.html

Last edited by asoriano; 06-27-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
edward broeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Pancho Herrer(a).
Masanori Murakami.
Was Hobliztel mentioned yet?
Johnny Ray.

i was going to say herrer(a) beat me to it lol

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
George E.

Default Glenn Hubbard

All collecting kids from my generation think of this 1984 card when we hear Glenn Hubbard's name mentioned.

Photobucket
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderbroeth View Post
i was going to say herrer(a) beat me to it lol
Me too... surprised this thread went 64 posts before his name came up.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Dean

I like Wagner as an answer, but I think Pafko has him beat. Only the hard-corest of baseball fans will remember AP at this point, and as they age and pass on that memory will wither even more. Wagner will always be an all time great, and serious baseball fans, at least, will know of him as a player first.

Consider how the Pafko card has been immortalized by the movie Cop Out, as bad as it was. The card was a vehicle for the whole silly plot.

Last edited by xdrx; 07-05-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Shoeless Joe Jackson"....54 career HRs, 1700 hits.....banned from baseball. Am I crazy?