NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Default PSA SMR prices...what's the deal?

I've been a using Beckett guides for a while, but thought I'd give PSA's SMR a try...beats buying another book each year, or magazine each month...

But I was amazed at the disparity between its valuations for cards, versus what many are selling for on ebay. I mean, the differential is huge, especially for the '52 Topps, which is what I'm collecting.

For example, Faye Throneberry is listed at $365 in NrMt 7, yet on ebay there is an example for sale for $585! And it is not even particularly well centered, with a significant shift upwards. Definitely not worth (IMO) the premium of a dead centered example.

Another example: Bill Dickey. PSA 6 he lists for 700, yet on ebay a fellow is asking 985 for one, and it's badly off center, flirting with MC status.

So what's the deal here? Are ebay sellers not clued in the economy, or vainly trying to sell them for what they might've paid 18 or 24 months ago?

Or is it because we're talking about 52 highs, and their rarity causes greater swings in prices?

Why is it, you think, that there is such a disparity between the SMR, and the actual selling prices?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM

The cards you saw listed on ebay, did they sell for that price or is that just a listing ?
I see alot of nutty prices on ebay, but many times the cards are posted and reposted month after month and never sell.
Now with higher grade '52 Topps you may very well get above book.
With the SMR it's suppose to be an 'average' of the card sales.
There are many instances where I see cards sell for significantly higher than what the SMR is stating.
I've been reading the SMR since it's inception, and the guide is just that- a guide. I like the magazine for the card collection articles as they tend to have features on issues that are not common.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Patrick N.

In general I find SMR prices to be 10-30% too high, although there are many exceptions including cards that sell for more than the list price...

Last edited by mintacular; 10-18-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U240robert View Post
The cards you saw listed on ebay, did they sell for that price or is that just a listing ?

Yes just the listing. Re-reading my post, I see where i was ambiguous. I should be better with my semantics! Yes, to clarify these are the asking prices, usually buy it now, but occasionally the starter bids. Sure does mystify me why they think they can get these prices for certain cards. Another card I'm eyeing, 396 Dick Williams in PSA 6 is listed for 1,100! The SMR is low $300s, and even a PSA 7, one full grade higher, is still under 1K. And it's not perfectly centered by any means. I actually messaged the seller to see if the price was wrong, because how anyone expects to get 3x book value for a mid-grade card is beyond me.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Patrick N.

If the listed price was good, it wouldn't still be there for you to potentially buy it...
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Book prices are way too inconsistent for the most part, many too high others way to low, I know on exhibits, there are a number of sets I would gladly pay 5 x smr for NM copies and others I can barely sell for 40% of smr.

I do have my own ebay store that I sell dupes and other cards and I do know that when you price below market your cards sell quick, price a bit higher and you can wait up to a year but it will sell and you will get your price. Price it too high and it will just sit there, I know some cards that have been listed with the same high price since 2006 and the market is over half off. Odds are they will not sell it but im sure they figure it only cost $2.40 or less a year to list and is peanuts on a $1000+ card. I have some scarce exhibits listed and they take a while to sell as I imagine others are waiting to see if one comes up for auction to grab a lot cheaper but when that wait can be up to 20 years sometimes they just decide to buy the card.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
I've been a using Beckett guides for a while, but thought I'd give PSA's SMR a try...beats buying another book each year, or magazine each month...
As Scott already mentioned above, book prices (SMR) are way too inconsistent. Your best bet is to use VCP which tracks actual recorded sales.

I'm no longer a PSA member, so I no longer receive the SMR magazine. I sure do miss it though. It made a great coaster to protect my cocktail table. That's about all it's good for. A waste of a good tree if you ask me.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Jeff

Default Smr

It's not a price guide, it's a multi-page advertising slick.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."