NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Default T206 near set on REA - was it cheap?

Posted By: cmoking

I am not a T206 collector, but it looked like the T206 near set on REA went a bit cheap. Yes, I know $220K + the juice is not cheap...but I mean cheap relative to selling off all the cards individually. Any thoughts?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I have not added up the individual cards, but didn't a PSA 5 set got for 100k a year ago in Mastro? Granted, this set is closer to a PSA 6 average, which I suppose would double the value...
JimB

Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

If I would have had the means I would have never bid on the collection. Too many of the cards pictured seemed to be trimmed. small. or short what ever you would like to call them. The whole lot was another prime example why I would never buy a high grade PSA T206 card.

If the grades are legit and people are willing to pay what the market for the grades are I would suspect the buyer did all right and will come out ahead if he sold them off individually.

Lee

Old 05-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

My initial thought on seeing the final price of the t206 near set was that it sold on the low side. I did a quick breakdown Sunday morning based on what I thought were realistic but somewhat conservative current prices and the figure I got was about $260,000.00.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

Definitely sold on the low side compared to what individual T206 cards are selling for on ebay and other auctions.

I would not be surprised if a dealer did not buy it to sell them individually on ebay. T206 cards seem to be incredibly hot right now.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Lee,
Which cards look trimmed to you?
JimB

Old 05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

what has this hobby become? aren't you supposed to get a lower price/better deal when buying a whole set...especially of the size and magnitude of the monster t206. is it rational to compare sum of parts vs whole in this case? that's a pretty daunting trask to break apart a set of t206 and sell it individually...isn't that worth something?

pete in mn

Old 05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

Well, if you could realize a return like this on mid-range graded cards you could certainly do well for yourself....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8797587996

How does a card garner such a HIGH price for that grade?

I guess I should stop being surprised by some of these auctions.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 05-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

perhaps i am in the minority here, but i think a complete set should actually be more expensive than the sum of it's parts.
the time and effort it takes to complete a set in a consistant grade is an effort (imo) that should be rewarded.

some vintage sets are starting to go for more than the sum of the parts. i don't like it, but it is starting to occur.

my interest is mainly vintage football, and i will say that the two national chicle football sets in mastro both brought more than the sum of their parts.

i wanted a few (3) cards from the two sets combined. all three would have upgraded my set. but i am better off (in this case) buying the individual cards vs. buying the set and breaking it to keep the cards i desired.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I may be wrong, but I thought the E90-1 set went for more than its parts.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

oh the times have changed! price guides are out the window, sets cost more than the sum of their parts, printers scrap is highly sought after, miscuts are more valuable than good ones...what chaos...this cannot last!

pete in mn

Old 05-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

it is anarchy, pete.
the good ole days are gone.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Administrator

These are the cards I believe are suspect:

Johnson, Pitching
Cobb, Green
Matty, Port
Beckley, I would truly be surprised if this was not trimmed
Elberfeld, Wash. close but don't like the looks of it.
Demmitt, St. Louis
Marquard, hands at side
Jennings, Port
Huggins, Hands to mouth.

I go by a quick scan and not to over analysis because they are pictures but those cards caught my attention.

I would like to hear from you people if you feel I am off line with these cards listed.

Lee

Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Jim B,

I know you are out there, I have given my list and a day goes by. You have responded to other threads. I am curious to what you and others think of the list I have put up from the lot that I fell are suspect.

Lee

Old 05-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Administrator

I have been away from my computer since this morning. I will look at those and respond as soon as I can, but I am getting tired and have meetings all day tomorrow. Thanks.
JimB

Old 05-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Lee,
OK, I just got out my catalogue and I admit that a lot of the ones you mention look suspicious from the photos. I think it is hard to tell without seeing them in person. Most of those are undersized and I am hesitant to assume a T206 is trimmed based only on that since sizes did vary, but from the photos, some of the cuts look awkward. Point taken.
JimB

Old 05-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Administrator

THanks for the response Jim. I can not see bidding on an auction where there is that many questionable cards.

Like I have always said you can spend your money the way you please but I just think that bidding on a lot such as this does not make much sense for an experienced collector.

Lee

Old 05-05-2006, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

Lee- Look atthe PC796s that over sold for $12K Matty is a 1/2" shorter than the Cobb. Why did these sell so high. They are not that rare.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I'm with Andy on this one. A set should sell for more (or at least equal to) the sum of its parts but sadly it doesn't. Time, trouble, constant searching, etc. Having put together the T207 set (twice) card by card and nearing completion of the M116 monster set card by card and having put together other killer sets in the past such as the E97, P-2, all 3 Obak sets, and E90-1, I can tell you the cost of buying cards separately, looking for the nicest one you can or settling for what you can find on the rare ones, has become prohibitive. Busting up sets for break value is commonplace and sets sell for far less than the sum of their parts, almost without fail. I am curious of Leon thinks that even his Western Playground set fetched less than he would have made had he sold them individually.....Leon?

Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Tbob, I have to disagree with you on the set should cost more than the individual cards.

Most collectors do not collect the entire set. Obviously you do, so your mindset is to get the entire set. But most pick out the players that they want and don't want a great deal of the rest of the set. So by selling the entire set for a lower price, the seller is moving all of the cards. Whereas, it is possible if he didn't give a discount, the collector would cherry pick the better cards and the seller may be stuck with many of the lesser known or lesser wanted cards.

Sincerely,

Cy

Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

When I sold the set there was no sales precedent for almost any of them recently. Two had sold in a lot a few years ago and the price on each, in the grouping, was about $2500, if I remember correctly. Each "set" situation is different and I would not want to make a blanket statement concerning which would bring more, a set, or the set individually.....too many variables....regards

Old 05-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm also part of the camp that believes that complete sets should sell for more than the sum of it's parts. True, there are fewer set out there, but there should be a reward for completing a set beyond the satisfaction that comes from completing it. We will probably never seent his happen, especially with the prices that cards are pulling today and the fact that most people are become very specialized in their collecting which doesn't include complete sets.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.