NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Default How does sgc grade writing?

Posted By: Justin

I recently won an Edd Roush 1915 Cracker Jack off ebay. I am just wondering how you all think it might grade?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170102598302&rd=1&rd=1

thanks Justin

Old 04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

SGC is tough, tough, tough on writing. You're likely looking at an SGC 10.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

What about psa?

Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

probably looking at a PSA 3(mk) or PSA 4(mk) at best.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Justin...the card will grade a "20 FAIR"...it came from the same guy that I got the Maranville and Huggins from that are on now, SGC 20'ed both of them. All 3 are basically identical condition with the same writing...

Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

You can send to psa and get the mk qualifer, thats really your only chance of getting above a "good" grade.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Not just a pencil eraser, but an art eraser. And then very very carefully erase the pencil marks on both sides. If you do a good enough job, it'll rise above an SGC 10. But since some aspect of the writing or erasing will likely still be visible, you'll never get above a 40, and a 20 or 30 are more likely. But if you submit as is, I'd agree you're looking at a flat 10.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Have to disagree with the last statement. Being that all 3 of these are in hand, and all 3 are condition-same, the card will grade a "20" as-is, as the other 2 did. I think should you attempt to erase you are likely only lowering the grade...

Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...two T206 cards that I had, which were very nice 40's with pencil erasures on the reverse. One was previously a PSA 4 (MK).

Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Understandable..assuming that the letters will erase and leave erasure marks only; if the letters do not remove completely, that's another can of worms, and a bigger problem...

Old 04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Hard to believe the card would get a 20 from SGC, but if its dopelgangers did, I guess it might. The problem I have had with SGC is that on blank backed cards which are normally exish, SGC nose-dives the grades down to a 10 for writing on the back. There are a lot of Zeenuts floating around that were "catalogued" many years ago and have a small, discrete number in fountain pen ink on the top back. An otherwise creaseless SGC 50 falls all the way to a 10 because of this. Conversely, you have a card with rips, tears, holes, stains and more creases than you can count, also getting a 10. How can this be justified? Not just me, ask anyone who collects blank back cards (particularly Zeenuts) and submits them to SGC, and the results are the same. I have ordered Zeenuts from catalogues described as "excellent" and indeed they are beauties but have that catalogue type number on the back and plummet to a 10 or once in a while a 20. Discouraging. it reminds me of the situation a few years ago when SGC was hammering any Obak which had that small purple stamped number on the back (a majority do) and was brutal in their grading of them. Now that you have all those exish looking Obaks in 20 holders floating around, SGC now has changed their policy and included stamped back on their labels so a 40 or 50 may be no where near as nice as a 20 or 30 graded 5 years ago....

Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Here's a stamped Moriarty that is more distinctly marked than the others...also holdered "20"...so if I may further the question? Supposedly, a mark is a mark is a mark, right? Are "stamps", "markings", "stains", and paper-loss perhaps weighted differently by the grader?