NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Chris P.

Default Looking for opinions and creative help

As my collection grows I have had problems figuring out how to store my graded cards in a way that is acceptable to me, and more importantly, my wife. I was advised that plastic protectors, cardboard boxes, sleeves, etc are no longer acceptable on the dining room table. Since I have not been able to find any real quality that is out there, and haven't seen any good suggestions here, I reached out to my Amish friends to build a better cabinet/flat file specifically for my graded cards that will blend with the furniture in my house. Here is where I need your creative opinions and your knowledge. I thank everyone who answers my questions. Your help is appreciated.

1) I only own PSA graded cards right now so I lack slab knowledge. Are all the major grading companies slabs exactly the same size and weights?

2) Do all the cards need to be upright, or would you rather have them on their back, flat? Is on their side ok? Consider access to the cards also please.

3) Do the drawers need to be felt or fabric lined, or is straight wood ok?

4) How many cards would you expect a single piece of furniture to hold to be effective? Keep in mind this is really for personal collection, not dealer storage and such.

5) If you were custom building this what would you like to see on this piece that I am missing or haven't thought about?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
John

Here's an idea. These antiques come in various sizes and prices and seem to be plentiful. The big one might even pass as a piece of furniture by your decorator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (73.4 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg $_12.jpg (36.2 KB, 315 views)
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Lots of great questions -

1) The slabs of PSA, SGC and Beckett are NOT the same size. They are generally pretty close in length and width, so storage for one generally fits storage for all, but if the holder has very little room, you will eventually run into trouble. Beckett is quite a bit thicker than the others, meaning you need more storage room.

2) Personal choice, but I bet most collectors like to see their cards "just so". I think they are much easier to access when they are all in one direction, upright, and of course, facing forward.

3) So long as the card itself is adequately protected, there's little need for felt or lined drawers. Its a nice touch, but not absolutely necessary. Keep in mind, you'll want to stack your cards so that there isn't tons of shifting room. Stack something (anything) in the rear portions of your unused drawers to minimize any sliding should something unusual occur. Once you do that, there should be minimal damage, if any, to the casings.

4) Completely dependent on your collection. Big enough to allow for growth, not so overwhelmingly large as to be useless wastes of space.

5) Something that polishes itself?

I'll add that I have something similar to what John posted in his second pic and love it. Its furniture and so it sits well within a normal room and it allows me to organize different collections and supplies in numerous ways.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Rich did a good job of answering. I would add to #1. SGC slabs are wider and taller than PSA. I would guess about 1/4 to 3/8" larger width and height.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I would add to make sure anything made to hold slabs is built like a tank, preferably with reinforced drawers and dovetail joints. Slabs en masse are extremely heavy and may bow the wood as the years pass. Last I checked, I believe PSA slabs were about 10 to a pound, with SGC and BVG weighing even more....the stress on the the drawers will eventually take its toll if not considered before building.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM

To help you focus in... How many cards are we actually talking? Storage methods for 50 would be different than 500!!

Sean
Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 AM

Default Looking for opinions and creative help

If you have any cards of value, I would suggest storage in a lock box at the local bank. Net 54 has had various counts of problems encountered by members of disappearing collections.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopBread View Post
If you have any cards of value, I would suggest storage in a lock box at the local bank. Net 54 has had various counts of problems encountered by members of disappearing collections.

A large fireproof safe can also be purchased for a few thousand dollars.

Sent using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Steve Birmingham

Here's what I did for the graded ones.

The base is solid oak, except for the bottom which is 1/4 Masonite with an oak support under the center.

The top is Oak plywood with solid trim.
The unfinished insert is 1/4 birch or ?Aspen? whatever they carry at Lowes. They have more choices now.

I will for all three companies, with a bit of space to the sides and top of the slabs.

Capacity would of course vary since the slabs are different thicknesses, But for thicker slabs (I just measured a GAI I had on the desk at 1/4 inch) It will hold about 250, a bit more for SGC or PSA, maybe a bit less for Beckett.

The stuff I'd change would be using a different lid support, The one I got is a friction one, and it's loose now. Adjusting means removing the insert, so I haven't done it.
I'd also line the bottom with felt simply to keep the slabs from sliding when the row is mostly empty. That's not really a problem, except if the table gets bumped.

I'm planning on doing something like the photos posted earlier, but sized for toploaders and modular. That will be to replace the shelf and boxes in my hobby room. And to add a load more capacity.

There's a guy who makes wooden boxes pretty reasonably and usually has some in one of the BST sections.

Steve B