NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Just curious what kind of history do the rest of you have with taking personal checks for payment on ebay? I do not accept them unles I have had past succesful transactions with the buyer. have any of you gotten baad checks?

Old 03-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: leon

over 300 transactions on ebay.....I take personal checks, have never held one so far, and nary a bad one.....(knock on wood)......if I had a big ticket item, I would hold the check, if I didn't know the buyer though.....best regards

Old 03-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: petecld

Funny you should bring this up now. I just got burned for a $13.75 bad check as well as for a $9 bank fee.

I've been burned a few times through the years but I still accept them but I wait 10 business days - but got burned for trying to be nice for a small amount so make rules for accepting checks and stick to them.

You'll get emails from people begging to have items sent sooner but now I have to say decline the requests. It's a shame how a few bad apples have to spoil it for the whole bunch.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

I've had great success with checks overall. In five years only three bad ones, two of which made good speedily.

The other one was a big hassle: a guy paid me for a 1960 Topps set with a check from a Canadian bank. He claimed it would be fine and agreed I could wait until clearance before sending. My bank said the Canadian check would be OK as well. I waited at least two weeks and the check appeared to have cleared. About two weeks after I sent the cards, I was told the check had bounced. Apparently it can take a month or more for a Canadian check to truly clear. Then there were several weeks of phone messages and emails promising payment, which the buyer did finally make, with a little extra for my trouble.

So I say, domestic personal checks are fine, especially with some of the seller's horror stories we are hearing out of paypal.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: TBob

it was a few years ago on a $100 comic book. The guy was from north of the border and ultimately made good. I guess I have been (knock on wood) very lucky.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: warshawlaw

I did get a crappy feedback from some goober who decided to pay by personal check and was ticked off that I held it ten business days after receipt per my statement in the auction rules.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: jay behrens

I state in my auction that I don't take personal checks but if you find it neccessary to send one, you will be left neutral feedback for not following instructions. I had one guy do this and then got pissed when I did it. I asked if he read the payment and terms and he said 'yes' but thought I was bluffing about leaving neutral feedback. Otherwise, I've never had a bounced a check. Even at my comic store, we never got a bad check in 4 years.

Jay

Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: Cycleback

I regularly receive personal checks as payment, and I haven't had one of these checks bounce in perhaps 3 years. While it would be reasonable practice for a seller to hold checks untiil they clear, especially if for a large amount, receiving a personal check that bounces is rare ... One reason is that most people who take the time to send a check via mail are honest and carefeul. The other reason is that bouncing a check and not reimbursing is illegal, especially when it's done through the mail and across state lines. Remember, when you send a check, you are literally mailing a signed contract with your name, address and bank on it. Stealing this way is akin to shoplifting at a store and leaving behind your business card saying your took the item ... Though, I beleive most of the lack of bounced checks is because 99 percent of people are honest.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: Mike Ward

Leon's comments!

Old 03-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default Personal Checks

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

transactions on ebay since 1995, took personal checks all that time. Been burned on about 3 of them. Just gotta wait till they clear. One of the three came back though even though it had already cleared. I will only take personal checks on large transactions from people I know though.