NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 PM

Default Vintage All Games Season Ticket Pass

I recently sold someone a 1952 American League all games season pass. The ticket was of an umpire, and in perfect condition. It has recently come to my attention that these passes/tickets are worth WAY more than I sold it for. Can anyone please shed some light on these, why they are worth so much, and how PSA can put a game/highlight on these when grading them if there is NO date on them? I am very interested to learn, as I have one of them left and don't want to get taken again. Thank you to all for enlightening me!!

Dave
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

How much did you sell the 1952 one for?

My experience with these is that the "value" (or at least, the price a collector will pay) tends to be all over the board. Some guys try to collect a "run" of passes, one for each year for each league. Others only want a specific year as a tie-in piece for some project they are working on. If the pass was issued to someone well-known, or if you have the original leather sheath that many of these were issued with, it can also add to the value.

I've had one for a little-known sports writer starting at $9.95 not draw a bid (think it was more recent than yours though), and I've gotten $150+ for ones issued to Joe DiMaggio, with others hitting somewhere in between, so there's a pretty good spread there.

Just my personal experience, when selling them as "auction" items. I have no idea what you're referring to with the PSA question, and have never submitted any to them, so I'll have to let others tackle that one and/or add their own experiences.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

There are people that collect these in place of hard to find ticket stubs from famous games (a player gets his 500th hr, 3000th hit, etc). If the pass is from that same year and the same league, then it could have been used as a ticket for that game. That would jack up the price on the pass by a good margin, so it depends on the year as well as who's pass it was. Hope that helps.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM

When PSA grades these, they put on their holder examples of top games of that year, I'm guessing. So it would be Clemente's 3000th hit, Killebrew 500 HR, etc. I guess that is the draw. I've seen these things selling on the Bay for $2000. I had no idea that they were so much. Win some lose some.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Having bought and sold these on and off for the past 20 years, the $2,000 figure really surprises me.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeco View Post
When PSA grades these, they put on their holder examples of top games of that year, I'm guessing. So it would be Clemente's 3000th hit, Killebrew 500 HR, etc. I guess that is the draw. I've seen these things selling on the Bay for $2000. I had no idea that they were so much. Win some lose some.
You've actually seen them sell for $2k, or you've seen someone asking that for them? I would be very surprised it they've actually sold for that price unless they were very early or something rarer than the basic AL or NL season pass. It wouldn't be the first time that I've been surprised, but if that's the case, then I've clearly been doing something wrong in the marketing department
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
FYI, I've heard that the customer that submits these passes to PSA typically gives them the basic info that they would like to be included on the capsule slug. PSA cross-checks the info at their end.

IMHO, it's a sham that an American League pass would be viewed as a ticket to some specific event unless there was a newspaper story supporting that the specific pass patron attended the specific event.

Just another BS PSA scam. It dilutes the importance of an actual true ticket to a historic event in baseball history.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
FYI, I've heard that the customer that submits these passes to PSA typically gives them the basic info that they would like to be included on the capsule slug. PSA cross-checks the info at their end.

IMHO, it's a sham that an American League pass would be viewed as a ticket to some specific event unless there was a newspaper story supporting that the specific pass patron attended the specific event.

Just another BS PSA scam. It dilutes the importance of an actual true ticket to a historic event in baseball history.
Scott, I agree with you 100 percent. The good thing about those passes though is that they are nice for a display for events that don't have many tickets. I'm thinking "the shot heard round the world", or Gehrig's farewell speech, etc. More representative that it "could" have been used...much like an unused real game ticket.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 PM

I've got one left. I'll see PSA tomorrow at the East Coast National White Plains show and tell them what to put on the ticket. It sure seems like it minimizes the value of the actual ticket to the game if these things are selling for so high.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Scott, I agree with you 100 percent. The good thing about those passes though is that they are nice for a display for events that don't have many tickets. I'm thinking "the shot heard round the world", or Gehrig's farewell speech, etc. More representative that it "could" have been used...much like an unused real game ticket.
Mike,
I do agree with what you are saying here.

Frankly though, I'm not surprised in the least that PSA would be more than happy to do anything that would make them money throwing a slab around anything.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've got one left. I'll see PSA tomorrow at the East Coast National White Plains show and tell them what to put on the ticket. It sure seems like it minimizes the value of the actual ticket to the game if these things are selling for so high.
Again, there has been feedback in this thread expressing surprise at the thought of these selling for four figures on a regular basis. And even if they are, I don't think the prices of tickets issued for milestone games are diminished.

As an Indians collector, the choice between buying a ticket stub to Bob Feller's opening-day no-hitter vs. a 1940 season pass is a no-brainer. And if I heard that a season pass had sold for, say, $1,500, that certainly wouldn't influence me to pay less for the actual ticket stub. Heck, if anything, it likely would drive up the price. But that's a big "if."

I think the prices of season passes and ticket stubs to milestone games are independent of each other. Other ticket collectors might feel differently.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-17-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 AM

Good point Rob. I just found my other ticket. It is a 1947 National Association Professional Baseball Leagues All Grounds pass, issued to Maurice DeLoof and signed by George Trautman, their President. This was the minor leagues. What would this one be worth? Worth grading? Any thoughts? Thanks to all for this thread.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM

Default Ticket vs pass

That is a very interesting thread...

I love those vintage tickets and pass from pro sports. Two years ago, i got a collection and in it was a Montreal Canadiens season pass and a full ticket from the same year

I sold the pass for 350.00 and the complete for 500.00.....i think the full thickets from the 1960 and older have beame really scarce and in time more valuable.....

Complete tickets and complete sets can go for crazy money believe me i just sold this...for a very high price....

What would be the odds of finding two complete tickets from a 1950's game ?

What would be the odds of finding a complete 1950's or 60's complete season tickets ?

What would be the odds of those ticket to be still attached in groups ?

I guess, alot of things have an impact...theme, history or event, quantity, grading and condition, market and franchise history.....
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Here's mine

one of only 3 or 4 graded by PSA and it being the top one graded, but yes they put on what I asked:

for sale on Ebay at a higher price or here for a decent price ; )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticket1.jpg (75.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg ticket2.jpg (73.8 KB, 56 views)