NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Default 1951 All Star Pennant on EBay

If you were the under-bidder (or know the under-bidder) on the recently completed sale for a 1951 All Star Pennant (see link below) - please send me an email. jssage24@yahoo.com
Thank you,
Jerry Sage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131280296633...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 09-03-2014, 04:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Oh man, Jerry...

You really got my hopes up, as I was the under-bidder on this one (which also recently closed on ebay...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1951...#ht_160wt_1363

Still stinging from that loss and would love a second chance at it, if anyone here happens to have this variation for sale/trade (pictured below).

I already have the version you referenced, but hopefully the under-bidder for that one will surface for you soon. Best of luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AS 1951.jpg (19.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Jerry, I thought you were selling not buying. BTW, those are both nice pennants. I have never seen that darker version and is probably one of the nicest 51's I have seen.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Default 1951 All Star Pennant

[QUOTE=Duluth Eskimo;1318053]Jerry, I thought you were selling not buying.

Jason - As you know - I am selling.
Looking for the underbidder on the red version because I have the same pennant in my group of pennants that I would sell. As per the photos I sent to you.
Jerry
Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A shame that ebay took away that capability... strong price realized for that one, too!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Adam B

Yes Mark a real tough '51 All Star pennant for sure. I almost went after it but have run out of wall space . Why the much more common Briggs Stadium variation sold for more (w/o hassles no less)is beyond me. The crossed bats version has to be the rarest of pennants from this year. I first saw this pennant in a book I have about the history of Tiger Stadium called The Corner. Here is a photo of the pennant in rough shape found in the book. I thought it would have sold for more . Congrats to the winner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg more.jpg (74.2 KB, 256 views)
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great post Adam... the quirks of ebay never cease, I suppose. Why the far rarer (and better condition) one sold for less is a mystery.

In retrospect, someone got a great buy on that one. It will be a long time before that version turns up again... unless, of course the winner flips it into a Catalog Auction. I'm kinda hoping he does!

I'm always curious about these All Star Game Pennants.... I think the rarer ones may have been sold only at the game itself, whereas the more commonly seen ones might have been sold at the stadiums for a prolonged period (or perhaps the entire second half of the season). Just thinking out loud
Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Great post Adam... the quirks of ebay never cease, I suppose. Why the far rarer (and better condition) one sold for less is a mystery.

In retrospect, someone got a great buy on that one. It will be a long time before that version turns up again... unless, of course the winner flips it into a Catalog Auction. I'm kinda hoping he does!

I'm always curious about these All Star Game Pennants.... I think the rarer ones may have been sold only at the game itself, whereas the more commonly seen ones might have been sold at the stadiums for a prolonged period (or perhaps the entire second half of the season). Just thinking out loud
Mark -
I agree with you that the blue pennant is a rarer version and looks to have very nice graphics.
As far as condition: If you take a good look at the back of the pennant it appears to have a dark stain on the top right side, torn top corner in the spine area, a stain on the lower middle as well as the torn bottom tassells. Also no clear photo of the tip.
As we know each buyer has their own reasons for the purchases they make and how much they are willing to pay.
Jerry
Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

[QUOTE=jsage;1318057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Jerry, I thought you were selling not buying.

Jason - As you know - I am selling.
Looking for the underbidder on the red version because I have the same pennant in my group of pennants that I would sell. As per the photos I sent to you.
Jerry
Sorry, I didn't remember that one in the group.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=Duluth Eskimo;1318186]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsage View Post

Sorry, I didn't remember that one in the group.
Jason - No problem - Hope all is well with you.
Jerry
Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsage View Post
Mark -
I agree with you that the blue pennant is a rarer version and looks to have very nice graphics.
As far as condition: If you take a good look at the back of the pennant it appears to have a dark stain on the top right side, torn top corner in the spine area, a stain on the lower middle as well as the torn bottom tassells. Also no clear photo of the tip.
As we know each buyer has their own reasons for the purchases they make and how much they are willing to pay.
Jerry
You're right Jerry... It definitely has some issues, now that you've pointed it out. I'm still trying to digest how one corner looks clipped on the reverse, but appears complete on the front side image.

The front still looks awfully nice when compared to the example in the book.

Both are great pennants.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 AM

This pennant was relisted! Guess the buyer didnt pay
Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Relisted and the last winner had 5 feedback? Not a red flag but certainly a yellow one...the other bidders had hundreds of feedback. Reserve maybe?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Relisted and the last winner had 5 feedback? Not a red flag but certainly a yellow one...the other bidders had hundreds of feedback. Reserve maybe?
If so, it's just another example of irrational ebay greed. He got a better price for it than he should have. I wonder if he even reached out to the under-bidder.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrab View Post
This pennant was relisted! Guess the buyer didnt pay
I got real excited thinking the pennant that was relisted was the crossed bats version. Just realized it was the stadium pennant design your talking about. Darn it!!