NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 PM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

Default Early Detroit Tigers pennant help

I own what I hope is an early Detroit Tigers pennant. The pennant is has a black base color with orange stitched letters.

I did some research in my Egner Pennant price guide II but couldn't find it. I noticed a very similar one on page 106 from the 1910's. It has the EXACT same font for "Detroit" but is missing the Tiger to the left.

On the back it it has a tag "Detroit Free Press". Was the pennant issued by the Detroit Free Press as a Detroit Tigers pennant for the games?

Last edited by sayheykid54; 09-14-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I was going to say it would be a stretch to call it a Tigers pennant, but with the Detroit Free Press you may have hope. The colors match, but it is very common for old city pennants to have the team colors. Not usually black and orange though. Your only real hope is to find someone who possibly has a photo showing this pennant at a game, but even with that I would say the value is not substantial. Maybe $100-200. The big prices are reserved for those big Tiger graphics. Still a nice pennant and would display well with any early Tigers memorabilia. Jason
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Mike H.

As an advanced Tigers/Cubs pennant collector living in Michigan I can tell you I see a lot of these in antique shops. Some are marked as Tigers pennants others not. I don't consider these Tigers pennants and don't have any examples in my collection. As a side note, few of them sell unless they are under $40.00.

My thinking on these and MANY other similar pennants from Chicago, Detroit, and other cities is this. When these pennants were made there was no league or team logo ownership. During this era $1.00 was a LOT of money. If you wanted to make money you put the team name or logo there so kids would ask their parents to buy one or you would appeal to the FAN. Think about it. These are likely simply city pennants. If your booth outside Tigers stadium had these boring generic pennants and Gus across the street had the roaring Tiger pennants you would go home with a cart full of felt and no money. People made things to SELL and these would not. Debate them all you like but wishing it so doesn't make it so.

Now excuse me while I try to jump off my soap box without breaking my ankles
Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

I'm not ruling it out as a Detroit Tigers pennant based on the quality and correct color scheme for the Tigers at that time. And again, the font and size of the letters is EXACT to one listed in the Egner's price guide from the 1910's minus the Tiger.

In my 25 years collecting Detroit Tigers memorabilia I've never seen another one.

Do you have a photo of another one? My extensive internet search turned up nothing.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A question...

What would be the purpose of a "City Pennant" back in the day? Just to wave it at parades, festivals and such? Just wondering what this pennant was made for, if not sporting events... A souvenir for tourists? Did many people vacation to Detroit back in the teens

I think it has a pretty decent chance of being a Tigers Pennant, given the block letter style and orange/black color scheme. That's just my opinion. But as mentioned by the pundits above, there are two limiting factors...

1. Unless you have a photo or other documentation, it's very tough to prove.

2. Even if it was Baseball, the value would be severely limited by the lack of attractive/eye-catching graphics.

Most collectors would rather shell out for those great Roaring Tiger Heads or Baseball-related graphics. Still a very attractive piece... just hard to assign or justify a value.

Last edited by perezfan; 09-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:24 AM
Mike H.

Regardless of it's origin, your pennant is a beautiful piece and you should enjoy it. Please don't take my comments as an attack.

Detroit was a popular tourist destination in the early and glory days of the auto industry. These types of pennants may have been popular around holidays with Parades, during exhibitions, the annual Auto show (drew 10s of thousands of people each year), state fairs, conventions etc. and the Free Press would have had a presence at most if not ALL of those. The design suggests "Celebrate our City". Sure the colors are likely to suggest the Tigers. I just don't think these were likely sold at or around Tigers Stadium. The Free Press was THE newspaper of the day in Detroit and considering the popularity and success of the Tigers at that time I would think they would promote the team if that was the intent. Sure, the sports editor could have said "Hey Eddie, grab a box of those Detroit pennants we had made up for the Labor Day parade from the storage room and dump em at the Tigers game this weekend".

Tigers pennant manufacturers were some of the most creative and prolific of the early/mid 1900s and to compete in that market you would have to be creative.

Regarding the font. Here again there weren't a ton of fonts used back in the day and they used whatever was in the drawer. Old English was a popular font in the day and used on TONS of sport and non sport pennants, so if it were in that font you could make the same argument.

I don't have any pics from antique shops or flea markets, but I know Bob McCann had a couple of these for sale when he was still issuing sales sheets in the mail. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Hunts had one as part of a two pennant lot that sold for $80 in August of 2000. There isn't a pic on the web page, but here is the description: Lot of two vintage Detroit related pennants: Early “Detroit” three piece construction pennant c.1910, unclear as to origin or relation to sport: EX and a Detroit Tigers pennant c. 1940-50’s: VG-EX

This oversized pennant is circa 1910 and even then the Tigers Head was used.

Last edited by mjkm90; 09-06-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
A question...

What would be the purpose of a "City Pennant" back in the day? Just to wave it at parades, festivals and such? Just wondering what this pennant was made for, if not sporting events... A souvenir for tourists? Did many people vacation to Detroit back in the teens

Probably more vacationers in the 19 teens than in the 20 teens.