NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Default Best of 1972 Topps

List (highly encouraged to post pics) your top 5. The criteria of your selection is up to you (photo, great season, error, first card, favorite player, etc.).

We'll do each year starting from 1980 to 1952. I'll start a new year about once a week. I'll close voting a month or 2 after the first post of the thread and tally up the results.

With these basic rules...
1. You can only vote for a player's card twice during his entire run (Let's not make this a Mantle and Ryan love fest). Consider that when making your selections.

2. Provide a reason for each choice if you're the first person making that selection. You are encouraged, but it's not necessary to restate the point if someone already said it.

3. Pick only 5. We are going through 29 years, limiting to only Topps regular releases, tough decisions will be made. List honorable mentions if you desire, but they will not be counted in the final tally.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I liked this set allot more as a kid than I do now. Overall the photography is poor and the In Action cards missed the mark. Plus the photos of awards was lame, a better choice would have been a photo of the recent award winner. My biggest IA complaint are some poor choice of photos and horrible choice of players. The only Tiger IA cards are manager Billy Martin and recently acquired back up catcher Tom Haller. No Brooks or Frank Robinson, Palmer, Bob Gibson, Jenkins, Al Kaline, Brock, Steve Carlton and other superstars of the day.

The set does have an awesome card though.

The first Clemente I ever owned, the simpleness of it is great.

There are a few cards with this pose in the set, this is my favorite.

This card always seemed out of my price range when I started collecting. Bought my first one 15 years ago at the same price it was going for in 1982.

This has the 1972 tilt and it isn't often we get cards of players "playing catch".

Of all the IA cards, this is my favorite. I'm a sucker for photos of pitchers that look like they are about to fall down.

Honorable Mentions:
The WS card with Clemente
Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

OK, I broke the rules, but I just love this set so frickin' much!!!

1972.jpg

The 'In Action' shots are the coolest things on the planet and these are 4 of my favorites:
Johnny Bench chasing a pop up. Great shot!
I had no idea what a Tito Fuentes was, but I sure remember seeing him on top of a rack pack and I just had to have it! I have loved this card for 40+ years!!
Bobby Bonds is just grinning goofily. Clearly he can't believe he just missed that pitch.
And Tom Terrific? What in high heck is he doing exactly??? Giggling??

Willie McCovey's shot is pure artistry by the Topps photog. Look at that blurry paw of his. Excellent!!

Roberto Clemente's card is just plain cool. Flipping a ball into his hand like every kid in America does during summer. Perfect!!

And the high number 'Traded' subset. Just tremendously great all around!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Al Richter

Default 1972---great year for colorful oddities

[IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539
/img449_zpsd14329d8.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-10-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Erik

When I was younger, I did not care much for this set at all. Now though, I appreciate it more yet there are not many cards that really catch my eye.

I do like the following:

Cubs Team.jpg

I have always thought this team card was cool. I love the colors and it doesn't hurt that I am a big Cubs fan and Ron Santo and Billy Williams are two of my all time favorite players.

Mitterwald.jpg

Future Cubs catcher George Mitterwald in action for the Twins. I like the photo, crisp and clear, with the fans in the background.

Murcer.jpg

Neat action shot of Bobby Murcer sliding into home with the fans on their feet!

Add my vote to Roberto Clemente and Rod Carew's cards for reasons already stated.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 01-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM

I was always fascinated by the IA cards and how Topps picked them. The Mets had 11 players and the Giants had 10 while the Orioles,Cardinals,Indians,Rangers,Brewers and Astros had none. The Cardinals and Orioles had some major stars but for some reason Topps disappointed a lot of kids in those markets in 1972.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I was always fascinated by the IA cards and how Topps picked them. The Mets had 11 players and the Giants had 10 while the Orioles,Cardinals,Indians,Rangers,Brewers and Astros had none. The Cardinals and Orioles had some major stars but for some reason Topps disappointed a lot of kids in those markets in 1972.
Sorry about all of those other markets, but me and my Mets-loving friends were in heaven!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Sorry about all of those other markets, but me and my Mets-loving friends were in heaven!!!!!!!!
I grew up in Suffolk County and the Mets were the team back then. Tom Seaver was like a god to all the kids in my town.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Sorry again for my delay, but I love this concept and despite time constraints, I want to contribute my favorites. It going to be heavy on In Action shots:

1) Clay Kirby - IA - I love how the ball is seen in the shot.

2) Felix Millan - Why is he wearing a helmet while fielding?????

3) World Series Game 6 - Great action shot.

4) Carlton Fisk / Cecil Cooper - I always liked Cecil as well as Fisk and always considered this a joint RC not just Fisks

5) JR Richard - Another guy I liked and I like this RC as well.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Attachment 128332

I have always thought this team card was cool. I love the colors and it doesn't hurt that I am a big Cubs fan and Ron Santo and Billy Williams are two of my all time favorite players.
Off topic, but does anyone know why the Cubs did the different team card. If I recall correctly, this started about 71-72 and ran through the early 80's. Not sure if it was an issue getting the Cubs to take a picture and it just stuck or if there is a bigger story.